Bikers + Footpaths

Frances

Pretty ridiculous comparison to draw there, the damaged greenway road at Sky Hill is a considerably bigger job to fix than creating a down hill mountain bike trial with a few brushes some logs and some broken up pallets.

What a bizzare post. You say it's a big job to fix, then go on to explain how simple it is to fix! The Trials club couldn't organise a tractor and a rotovator, if that's all that's required?

Slim, you just ain't getting it are you. If you go riding on the trails and cause (any) damage by doing so, how can you have a pop at people who pay tax for the pleasure of riding the same trails? Or is your damage O.K?

Maybe you think it is because you have less fun doing it (mountain bikers always seem to be grimacing).

Mark, I'm not having a pop at anyone, I'm asking if you think a motor bike does the same damage as people on foot. Do you think that?

You don't pay tax for the pleasure of riding the trails. That's not what your vehicle license is for.

I'm not much of a mountain biker, more of a roadie, so I know what it feels like to be forced off the road. I'm not and have never said that motorcycles should be prevented from using the trails, I just think they should take some responsibility for the damage and make some effort to repair the damage.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty ridiculous comparison to draw there, the damaged greenway road at Sky Hill is a considerably bigger job to fix than creating a down hill mountain bike trial with a few brushes some logs and some broken up pallets.

What a bizzare post. You say it's a big job to fix, then go on to explain how simple it is to fix! The Trials club couldn't organise a tractor and a rotovator, if that's all that's required?

I'm not much of a mountain biker, more of a roadie, so I know what it feels like to be forced off the road. I'm not and have never said that motorcycles should be prevented from using the trails, I just think they should take some responsibility for the damage and make some effort to repair the damage.

So now its the responibility of 'The Trials club' whoever they are, how naive you are if you think that the damage has been done by A trials bikes, B by organised motorcycle events. The damage on sky hill and the other upland tracks has been caused by dirt bikes not trials bikes and by sunday trail riders / visiting uk riders. Not by any of the clubs that run enduro events locally, events take place on private land and in plantations.

Clearly the tracks need to be better managed by the DOT and my solution was a suggestion and i did not imply that it was an easy or a cheap job, i dont want my tax £ being spent on 1000s of tonnes of hardcore that may/may not be swallowed up by the bog on sky hill.

Obviously you are one of the sanctimonious mountain bike fraternity who think just because you can build a few bridges in a plantations (illegally for the most part) you can get up on your high horse and spout crap about a subject you clearly know nothing about.

Slim, you just ain't getting it are you. If you go riding on the trails and cause (any) damage by doing so, how can you have a pop at people who pay tax for the pleasure of riding the same trails? Or is your damage O.K?

Maybe you think it is because you have less fun doing it (mountain bikers always seem to be grimacing).

Mark, I'm not having a pop at anyone, I'm asking if you think a motor bike does the same damage as people on foot. Do you think that?

it depends on numbers, 1 bike would do less damage than 1000 people, and judging by the numberf of whinging letters around there must be far more people than bikes using these 'highways'??

So now its the responibility of 'The Trials club' whoever they are, how naive you are if you think that the damage has been done by A trials bikes, B by organised motorcycle events. The damage on sky hill and the other upland tracks has been caused by dirt bikes not trials bikes and by sunday trail riders / visiting uk riders. Not by any of the clubs that run enduro events locally, events take place on private land and in plantations.

Clearly the tracks need to be better managed by the DOT and my solution was a suggestion and i did not imply that it was an easy or a cheap job, i dont want my tax £ being spent on 1000s of tonnes of hardcore that may/may not be swallowed up by the bog on sky hill.

Obviously you are one of the sanctimonious mountain bike fraternity who think just because you can build a few bridges in a plantations (illegally for the most part) you can get up on your high horse and spout crap about a subject you clearly know nothing about.

Nope, I'm not a mountain biker or a member of any club. I mentioned the Trials club because they had a member of their committee on the radio at lunchtime talking about this issue and how it was all simply manx people winging because that's what manx people do. I have seen examples of people getting together voluntarily to improve these areas, the walks around conrhenny for example.

I'm actually just trying to make a suggestion that might help reduce the accusation towards motorcyclists and avoid the banning that's been imposed on them in the UK.

I'm not a fan on burdening the taxpayer, I don't see why those that cause the damage can't help fix it, even if that group comprises of walkers, motor cyclists and mountain bikers. I don't think that's unreasonable. Why does everything have to boil down to the public purse sorting it out?

Nope, I'm not a mountain biker or a member of any club. I mentioned the Trials club because they had a member of their committee on the radio at lunchtime talking about this issue and how it was all simply manx people winging because that's what manx people do. I have seen examples of people getting together voluntarily to improve these areas, the walks around conrhenny for example.

I'm actually just trying to make a suggestion that might help reduce the accusation towards motorcyclists and avoid the banning that's been imposed on them in the UK.

I'm not a fan on burdening the taxpayer, I don't see why those that cause the damage can't help fix it, even if that group comprises of walkers, motor cyclists and mountain bikers. I don't think that's unreasonable. Why does everything have to boil down to the public purse sorting it out?

DIY repairs to any piece of greenway road is not really an avenue that i think that the DoT should be going down, the 4x4 drivers do this but as far as i am aware they only repair damage they have done on tight tracks where their vehicles cant help but cause an impact.

I am at a total loss as to how people think motorcyclists can fix these issues, certainly i would help if asked but i am not a builder or landscape gardener and not qualified to take tools and equipment up a mountain in a 4x4 (illegally as only horses and motorcycles are allow on greenways) and start 'fixing' .5km of green lane road.

Perhaps a manx branch of the trail riders federation should be started to organise things like this but its very unfair to brand people legally enjoying themselves as vandals whilst the DoT and BoA do F-all about preventing the damage.

The burning question here is the Sky Hill track reopened on April 1st, why was it reopened if it in such a state and why was vehicluar traffic allowed on it in one way direction throughout the winter.

I am both enjoy enduro and the country side. There is a lot of useful information and thoughful comments on this forum. All we need now is a purposeful way in which to channel it. It is not a blame game, I for one would like to know how I can help in a constuctive matter to protect the country side and my enduro hobby.

I am both enjoy enduro and the country side. There is a lot of useful information and thoughful comments on this forum. All we need now is a purposeful way in which to channel it. It is not a blame game, I for one would like to know how I can help in a constuctive matter to protect the country side and my enduro hobby.

Im a biker and would say I come across more bikers than walkers, I say ban walking boots, make em were flip flops! :P

Simple solution - there are tens of thousands of acres of unused (and probably unusable) land here. Put 50 acres aside for an off-road park, where mud-pluggers of all persuasions can have some fun. Charge a fiver for a day pass. It would probably bring visitors here.

Strikes me the ramblers are getting more and more militant and selfish about the countryside. How about some live and let live (I'm neither a rambler nor an offroader).

Simple solution - there are tens of thousands of acres of unused (and probably unusable) land here. Put 50 acres aside for an off-road park, where mud-pluggers of all persuasions can have some fun. Charge a fiver for a day pass. It would probably bring visitors here.

Strikes me the ramblers are getting more and more militant and selfish about the countryside. How about some live and let live (I'm neither a rambler nor an offroader).

You are being reasonable, understanding & logical - we can't have that sort of stuff here. 4 week ban coming up...

You make it sound like the off road equivalent to bicycle riders' attitude to other road users and pedestrians!!!

I like your idea of an area set aside for those who wish to 'bugger the bush' - I'd make it bigger and hopefully with a fair mix of terrain.

Our natural heritage is something that we can't replace so it does need some forms of protection.

How about some live and let live

Good advice Stu. Life is a lot easier that way. I think *some* trail riders do themselves no favours by wandering about in packs of 10+. My house is near the end of a favorite trail and 10+ noisy off road bikes blasting past can be quite intimidating to joe public.

PS I do understand the pastime though. I have a WR250 although it rarely gets used on the island. The Rambler's Association has been very effective across in getting trails closed down even though they were only 8% of all pedestrian rights of way. I hope that doesn't happen here.

A good idea yeah, you'd probably have to ban the bikes from the trails though if you wanted them to pay.

The problem is that the Petrolheads ruin it for everyone else. The idea of having allocated areas for them is very sensible. That would ensure the mud-pluggers can do their stuff and the rest of the paths are left fit for use by hikers and mountain bikers.

Archived