Bikers + Footpaths

Frances

A lot of the paths I've regularly used over the last ten years or so have become almost unusable recently because of the damage caused. Sure, mountain bikes do some damage, but it's really not comparable to motorbikes.

Honeyhill (track from the back of the Creg down to Clype reservoir) is a good example. Ten years ago I could ride my mountain bike down there full speed, and up in one go. Three years ago the ruts made it very difficult. Now it's impossible, partly due to the ruts, and partly due to the rubble that's been dumped all over the place. I presume it's an attempt to fill the ruts in, but it's just made it ten times worse because there are bricks and concrete posts all over the place.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple solution - there are tens of thousands of acres of unused (and probably unusable) land here. Put 50 acres aside for an off-road park, where mud-pluggers of all persuasions can have some fun. Charge a fiver for a day pass. It would probably bring visitors here.

Strikes me the ramblers are getting more and more militant and selfish about the countryside. How about some live and let live (I'm neither a rambler nor an offroader).

The problem is that the Petrolheads ruin it for everyone else. The idea of having allocated areas for them is very sensible. That would ensure the mud-pluggers can do their stuff and the rest of the paths are left fit for use by hikers and mountain bikers.

... as long as it isn't this tiny bit over here for you biking chappies, and all the rest of the Island for us ramblers.

Simple solution - there are tens of thousands of acres of unused (and probably unusable) land here. Put 50 acres aside for an off-road park, where mud-pluggers of all persuasions can have some fun. Charge a fiver for a day pass. It would probably bring visitors here.

A good idea yeah, you'd probably have to ban the bikes from the trails though if you wanted them to pay.

Off road park gets my vote fully, more areas to ride for both trials, motocross and enduro bikes is needed and would serve as an attraction to uk visitors. Ohio plantation is a prime candidate for this use.

In practice it could attract different users than the intended tho, your typical trail rider is 35-55 years old and is a competent motorcyclist but they are generally out for a days enjoyment with their group of 3 or 4 friends, they dont want to race each other they just want a good steady run out on green lanes that are enjoyable but not too physically demanding to ride (like sky hill).

Dedicated areas such as Stu's planned off-road park would no doubt be fenced off and would be of interest but as there are no other users, walkers mountain bikers etc, the speeds would tend to be higher and the high use levels would mean that the going would be tougher too.

Plus motocross bikes could potentially be ridden there by schoolboy motocross riders. These 2 types of off road rider would not mix well and the more sedate sunday trail rider would soon be off back to sky hill at their leisurely pace without the annoyance of high speed riders to contend with and the freedom that greenlaning offers.

In my mind what is needed is input from the motorcycling community meaning the actual sunday trail riders themselves, and better management of the green lane "network" with alternative routes for when the sensitive tracks are closed along with a maintenance plan for the tracks that doesnt always involve spreading sharp rocks over once pleasant greenway roads there by making them dangerous which is a common occurrence now.

Honeyhill (track from the back of the Creg down to Clype reservoir) is a good example. Ten years ago I could ride my mountain bike down there full speed, and up in one go. Three years ago the ruts made it very difficult. Now it's impossible, partly due to the ruts, and partly due to the rubble that's been dumped all over the place. I presume it's an attempt to fill the ruts in, but it's just made it ten times worse because there are bricks and concrete posts all over the place.

There's a badly knackered bit just up from there too, the lane from Conrhenny plantation to the bit you mention, it's in two parts either side of the hedge, and the non-plantation side is simply unusable due to bikes pretty much all along it's length. Was there on my push bike about two weeks ago and there was a group of motorbikers just tearing the place up and a lady on a horse was having trouble getting the animal past them. It's depressing to watch, as the lane is basically useless for anything else.

This bit:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...mp;t=h&z=17

A live and let live attitude needs a solution that makes such lanes usable for everyone, not just the motorcyclists.

Slim ... is that the part where they now ride into the plantation because they don't want to go through the water, which is now just a black gunge from the oil ?

Edit to say .. may not be oil and not the bikes at all, but what ever has caused the mud to turn black it took 3 washes to get it off the dogs legs

It will probably be closed to Dirty-bikers soon enough as there is far to many out there with the 'No f**kers going to tell me what to do attitude' all they are going to achieve is having the gates locked,

I spoke to some people I know that have 'crossers' in the past about a group of dirty-bikers coming up sky hill to the mountain box when it was closed and they told me that they would do it themselves as apparently the warden has no power to open or close the tracks which smacked me with a couldn't give a shit attitude and sounded like they would continue to use the greenlanes regardless <_< ,

also I cycled up to agnesh mines the other weekend from laxey and while climbing up from the mine buildings to the track at the bottom of clagh-ouar i saw 3-4 bikes ride past the 'greenlane end' sign then out across the mine toward the motorcycle museum and then up to re-join the main road up at the veranda, and i would just say none of them were 'easy' on the throttle more like 'full'

they are only going to spoil it for themselves if they cannot get together and come to some agreement with the authorities,

Mind you as a GOM I'd also ban jet-skis within 1/4 mile of the shore!!!!!

Why?...................It's not as if there is many bathers/swimmers on the beaches these days

Because of the annoying noise they make

many a Sunday afternoon on the beach ruined by those wankers

[ also I cycled up to agnesh mines the other weekend from laxey and while climbing up from the mine buildings to the track at the bottom of clagh-ouar i saw 3-4 bikes ride past the 'greenlane end' sign then out across the mine toward the motorcycle museum and then up to re-join the main road up at the veranda, and i would just say none of them were 'easy' on the throttle more like 'full'

they are only going to spoil it for themselves if they cannot get together and come to some agreement with the authorities,

As far as i am aware there is no legal track up to the veranda, so what is going to stop these people doing exactly the same as and when an agreement with the authorities is in place?

I already know where i legally can and cant go, and i am fully aware of the effect on the tracks.To this end i have not been on sky hill this winter, but that dosn't mean to say i wont.

when riding my fully road legal bike in a responsible way i am breaking no laws, i may well be upsetting other members of the puplic, but everyone should take a look closer at their own pastimes and lifestyles to see if they offend anyone else.

When all has been said and done reguarding bikers and tracks we can move onto the next offensive pastime.I am sure all the same people moaning about me, will have plenty to say on perhaps the flying of kites endangering the seagulls.

I am sure all the same people moaning about me, will have plenty to say on perhaps the flying of kites endangering the seagulls.

Im 100% sure your wrong there. Noone is that stupid to even think that.... oh ...hold on.. :rolleyes:

As far as i am aware there is no legal track up to the veranda, so what is going to stop these people doing exactly the same as and when an agreement with the authorities is in place?

Yep, enforcements definitely a problem. As I understand it there's already speed limits on these greenways, but they're largely ignored.

When all has been said and done reguarding bikers and tracks we can move onto the next offensive pastime.I am sure all the same people moaning about me, will have plenty to say on perhaps the flying of kites endangering the seagulls.

That's just nonsensical. All activities are not offensive or damaging.

I didn't say all activities, i said the next, and i hope its one you take part in because then you will see how it feels to be part

of what amounts to a public lynching for abiding by the laws of the land.

Hey, I cycle on the roads, I know what it feels like to be unpopular :)

As ever, it sucks for responsible enthusiasts that some people ruin it for everyone. Hopefully this wont come to that though, and a solution can be found.

Archived