Bikers + Footpaths

Frances

The actual physical damage is the tip, where this all leads to, and i am not just on about off road bikes, is what bothers me.

As i said before, what comes next?

I know what your saying, theres a creeping intolerance into all sorts of things. It's why I'd like to see a solution for the damage and anti social riding rather than an outright ban.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i am glad, i hope thats the attitude of the majoirty. One things for sure though all this rain tonight is washing the island

into the sea so, the sooner the people we choose to run this place with a fair and even hand, spend some money on better

drainage and repair programs of our public highways, we can move on.

To the next lynching.

its the bikes that decide to go off the tracks that are the big problem as well,

michael mountain has loads of ruts cut into the side of the hill from bikes decideing thay want to go cross country,

o look theres a steep hill, lets make it our own play ground,

right bloody mess,

i know its not everyone that rides a bike that does it, but that small few that do ruin it for everyone,

and anyone that is seen on the hills when we up there working is normaly reported to the cops, thats if thay have a number plate that is

It's always the same though, a few ruin it for the majority. We spotted a few bikers out riding up through the tree's in Ballaugh Plantation not the Greenway, they obviously knew they were in the wrong as they pretty much scarpered when a mobile phone was produced..... In the 6 years I've been riding up there it's the first I've ever seen it, all the other riders have always stuck to the designated Green Lane.

There is a group set up already for the Green Lanes called the Green Lane Users Group (GLUG), no idea what they talk about or what they actually do but it consists of representitives from mountain bikers, motor bikers and, I think, the 4WD club too. From what I understand there is only one DAFF Warden that patrols the land (Peter Knowles, nice chap) maybe there's a need for more wardens as there's a lot of land for just one person to keep an eye on......

Either way, a large designated track/area as suggested earlier would be an awesome idea. I'd be seriously tempted to get a bike then!

Because of the annoying noise they make

many a Sunday afternoon on the beach ruined by those wankers

Steady on chap :o

have you ever tried jet-ski's or personal water craft ? I worked down at port soderick when it was the watersport centre and I found it to be great fun, plus it's a great way to keep fit , mind you i do not have one now <_< hence me now doing a little mountain biking to fight the lard,

Anyone interested in this topic would probably find the Manx Radio 'Talking Heads 2' broadcast from Tuesday good listening (if you go on the website you can listen again).

The first part of the broadcast is the usual sensationalist, hysterical stuff with a bunch of cedrics (including MHK Henderson and a bloke called John who apparently would like to see the end of the internal combustion engine!) bleating the same old same old.

The later part of the show is far better informed with practical analysis of why the damage occurs as it does and a very pertinent point from Mr Juan Knight - if you don't maintain roads, they become full of potholes - why should green lane roads be any different.

Other points made were that the large scarr on the side of Snaefell which is visible from miles away is as a result of pedestrian traffic. No enduro bikes up there to blame for the mess!

30 or 40 years ago off roaders were banned from riding on Kirk Michael beach because it was causing it to fall into the sea -it still is of course because it's down to coastal erosion. (not motorcycles)

I still maintain that we pay road tax (formerly known as road fund licence) call it what you like based on the class and cc of vehicle we use - other users do not.

I'm off out now on my infernal contraption while the sun's out. Hope the Island hasn't been washed into the sea when i get back (because it'll probably be my fault if it does)

The first part of the broadcast is the usual sensationalist, hysterical stuff with a bunch of cedrics (including MHK Henderson and a bloke called John who apparently would like to see the end of the internal combustion engine!) bleating the same old same old.

Not surprising that you think the points that agree with you are well informed, and those that don't are sensationalist. I thought there was crap from both sides, particularly the member of the trials committee who said that basically the manx just like to complain and that was all there was to it. Spectacularly daft thing to say when the bikes have been banned in england and not here.

Other points made were that the large scarr on the side of Snaefell which is visible from miles away is as a result of pedestrian traffic. No enduro bikes up there to blame for the mess!

Have you waled up that 'very large scarr'? It's a footpath, it's even paved, it's not wear from walkers, it's been made that way.

I still maintain that we pay road tax (formerly known as road fund licence) call it what you like based on the class and cc of vehicle we use - other users do not.

You don't, you pay a vehicle license. It's not road tax.

i didnt hear Juan Knight say that manx people like to complain, his point was more that the type of person that feels the need to complain about the actions of others enjoying themselves legally are often a serial complainer it is their "Raison d'être", much like other peoples seems to be being self righteous on the internet. ;)

Noone wants to stop cyclists no matter how annoying they are to follow in a car because we could miss out on furture Mark Cavendishs and Peter Kennaughs but the first caller wanted to ban all motorvehicle off road pastimes unless they are competing in event in one of our 150 (!) venues, yeah right! If that happened we wouldnt have any more David Knights or Steve Colleys so i think the status quo is just fine for creating world champions.

You are technically correct Slim but imo you are splitting hairs. This tax is only payable if you take your vehicle off private property onto public rights of way. It therefore effectively is road tax. However, I agree that just 'cos you pay this doesn't entitle you to do any damage.

Actually the "Cedrics" who park before they walk have also paid vehicle/roadtax and the pedallers have usually got there strapped to the back of a vehicle.

So I am not sure why the "Glorias" on their bikes are carrying on that they have made some special contribution that permits them to "bugger the bush".

Have you waled up that 'very large scarr'? It's a footpath, it's even paved, it's not wear from walkers, it's been made that way.

Unless something very drastic has changed in the past three or four weeks i seem to remember that only a small part of the track leading to the summit of Snaefell is 'paved'. The rest is decidedly muddy when it rains. Also, near the top of the path, there is plenty of evidence of random off-piste behaviour in that there is more than one way up.

You don't, you pay a vehicle license. It's not road tax.

To all intents and purposes it is a tax which is payed for using a vehicle on a road (such as a green lane)

Actually the "Cedrics" who park before they walk have also paid vehicle/roadtax and the pedallers have usually got there

strapped to the back of a vehicle.

So I am not sure why the "Glorias" on their bikes are carrying on that they have made some special contribution that permits them to "bugger the bush".

The point is that off road motorcyclists who use green lanes pay for their machines to be taxed and insured to enjoy that right.

Erm, not sure quite what is entailed in "buggering the bush", best left to the Cedrics of this world i'd say.

I was thinking about getting up in't hills myself this coming weekend weather permitting for a bimble and a bit of fresh air and that.

Having just read the above threads i think i'll stay in - the hills are full of "cedrics" and "glorias" apparently.

I'm not one for having my bush interfered with! I'll leave it to you macho types, you're welcome to it.

Deliverance dvd anyone?

Archived