Fancy Ambulances? Pah

Mr Shoe

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/07042009/36/futur...ng-shape-0.html

when my little boy broke his arm in a fall, the two "paramedics" were next to useless

[Text Deleted] it just gets me too angry.

new ambulances? how about giving the current "taxi drivers" some extra TRAINING! at the other end of the scale, the operating theatre staff and ER staff were wonderful.

i'm sure some professional paramedics will slate this post. of course there are top notch ones. the point is, ALL paramedics should be professional.

they were alright when i broke my arm, though I was pumped with so much morphine it could've been Hitler and Fred and Rose West with paramedic jackets on.

they were alright when i broke my arm, though I was pumped with so much morphine it could've been Hitler and Fred and Rose West with paramedic jackets on.

says it all really.

one pair of paramedics say "walk it off"

one pair stick a needle in you

they're either not reading from the same hymn book, or there isn't a hymn book. or they can't read.

any trained paramedics know the correct procedure for a child lying in the supine position, arm broken, skin bulging below the elbow but skin not broken, apparently in shock?

Paramedics saved my life, they were brilliant. Great training, great bedside manner, plenty of gas and air, kept me calm as I went into shock and couldn’t stop convulsing.

Then again when I was a boy my parents took me to the hospital when I broke my arm, and I had to wait for them to pick me up from school.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/07042009/36/futur...ng-shape-0.html

when my little boy broke his arm in a fall, the two "paramedics" were next to useless

[Text Deleted] it just gets me too angry.

new ambulances? how about giving the current "taxi drivers" some extra TRAINING! at the other end of the scale, the operating theatre staff and ER staff were wonderful.

i'm sure some professional paramedics will slate this post. of course there are top notch ones. the point is, ALL paramedics should be professional.

How old is your son?

How far did he fall (onto what) and was he concussed or dizzy at any time?

Did he injure or complain of his neck, back or other area apart from his arm? Could he walk? (Lower limb fractures are more serious and should not be moved unless in danger)

Did he require being placed in the recovery position?

Are you medically trained and what action did you take?

What signs and symptoms did you observe? Swelling/bruising, was he in shock?

Did he have any bleeding?

Was his arm supported and then placed in a sling?

Did you or others witness or record the accident?

Did the paramedics have to take advice from someone else at the hospital?

Did they have any concerns?

I do feel however, that instead of putting your frustration on the board where anyone and everyone can see, you should have taken your grievance or complaint through the proper channels and not aired it openly. I'm not an ambulance driver or going to make excuses for anyone, but I'm hearing one side of the story which is unfair on the paramedics as they won't be able to respond.

There poor performers in most jobs, I suggest you complain in detail to the relevent hospital, MP, council, mayor, papers etc. etc. - if enough complints are raised then something might be done. In fairness, you gotta tell 'em otherwise nothing will be done for sure. Also, where there's blame there's a claim!!!!!

i don't want to go into details; however:

he fell headfirst at speed

very pale and very calm (too calm)

and bad enough to require later treatment in the OR under GA

if i had to pick one thing that pee'd me off the most, i had to carry him from the scene to the ambulance because they refused to go get the trolley. was i angry? guess

before i complain: is this the right procedure?

on the funny side, they also refused to drive away until i fastened my seatbelt. but didn't fasten him to the trolley.

It sounds as if your son was in shock, but I can't understand as to why they didn't get the trolley, as this must be best practice for any fall injury which could involve spinal, back-head injuries? Must be a reason, but none I can think of at the moment with the exception if he'd been seen walking?

Maybe someone else can figure that part out?

Got to say Mr Shoe, I didn't like the idea of you picking your son up in case it affected him somehow, but can understand the frustration and wanting action fast and wish your son a speedy recovery.

With regards the seatbelt, I know it's law that the person driving is responsible for the safety of his passengers and would insist on you wearing a seatbelt or face a driving charge, but I'm uncertain as to your son and without the information, I'm presuming that he was laid on the trolley with the safety rest up? If not, I can't answer that one either, but as for me personally, I'd be asking questions as to why certain events happened or didn't happen in this case.

Good luck in getting an answer though, if only an apology

With regard to an earlier comment 'Where there's blame there's a claim', I wouldn't take this action and end up following the likes of the Americans and their sue anything that moves.

Archived