[BBC News] 16 teams confirmed for 'green' TT

Newsbot

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sixteen teams are to take part in what is being billed as motorsport's first "green" grand prix.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7993816.stm

Got to admit I like the look of the bikes, just seems wrong that they don`t make much noise( won`t that be dangerous on the normal roads?, -people won`t here them coming up on them) .Maybe an on/off noise switch? - or a massive playing card in the spokes.

Sixteen teams are to take part in what is being billed as motorsport's first "green" grand prix.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7993816.stm

Got to admit I like the look of the bikes, just seems wrong that they don`t make much noise( won`t that be dangerous on the normal roads?, -people won`t here them coming up on them) .Maybe an on/off noise switch? - or a massive playing card in the spokes.

Or a man walking in front with a red flag.

S

Is that on a work day?

There will be riots if they shut the roads at 5pm on working days :(

Inaccurate reporting by the Beeb - for a change.

According to the 2009 Regs, the TTXGP practice and qualifying is on the Monday and Wednesday of race week - after the afternoon races. So the roads will reopen a bit later than normal.

The race itself is on the Friday after the Senior - starting at 2:30pm and is for 1 lap.

it's all a bit of a con in as much as the regs for these electric bikes insist it 'looks' like a motorbike, and have a chain final drive ( maybe belts or shaft would be ok too? ) it also has to be based on a 'normal' petrol bike chassis that anyone could buy, no home built carbon featherweight jobs. it seems they want the 'green' aspect without many of the technical ground breaking bits of kit out there. and they also have to use batteries, no hydrogen fuel cells. perhaps the orgynisers were worried about a passenger carrying scalextric bike lapping faster than a gas guzzler. so in short, you take a normal motorbike, ditch the petrol engine and strap in batteries and an electric motor, hardly ground breaking stuff.

it's all a bit of a con in as much as the regs for these electric bikes insist it 'looks' like a motorbike, and have a chain final drive ( maybe belts or shaft would be ok too? ) it also has to be based on a 'normal' petrol bike chassis that anyone could buy, no home built carbon featherweight jobs. it seems they want the 'green' aspect without many of the technical ground breaking bits of kit out there. and they also have to use batteries, no hydrogen fuel cells. perhaps the orgynisers were worried about a passenger carrying scalextric bike lapping faster than a gas guzzler. so in short, you take a normal motorbike, ditch the petrol engine and strap in batteries and an electric motor, hardly ground breaking stuff.

Fuel cells are allowed in the Professional Class. Allowed systems are:

a. Prototype electrically propelled machines. Powered solely by stored electricity (battery /accumulator)

b. Fuel cell Class – Powered by a fuel cell device and stored electricity (battery / accumulator) if required.

c. Conventional internal combustion engine powered machines fuelled by non carbon based fuel. (i.e. Hydrogen). These machines must comply with all ACU regulations for solo motorcycles including 105 dBA noise restriction.

d. Hybrid propulsion systems. The total vehicle propulsion system must conform to the TTXGP zero carbon fuel and zero toxic emission concept.

All discrete components of their power systems must comply with this concept.

Is that on a work day?

According to the 2009 Regs, the TTXGP practice and qualifying is on the Monday and Wednesday of race week - after the afternoon races. So the roads will reopen a bit later than normal.

The race itself is on the Friday after the Senior - starting at 2:30pm and is for 1 lap.

but i think they were changed to allow MGP riders in also.....if that's the case, they wont be able to qualify on the monday and wednesday of race week, so when you consider that, and look at what Martyn Quayle said, i wouldnt be surprised if they did shut at 4 and 5 instead of 5 and 6.........

Is that on a work day?

but i think they were changed to allow MGP riders in also.....if that's the case, they wont be able to qualify on the monday and wednesday of race week, so when you consider that, and look at what Martyn Quayle said, i wouldnt be surprised if they did shut at 4 and 5 instead of 5 and 6.........

Why can't MGP riders practice in race week??

Is that on a work day?

coz i think they have to do about 5 laps to practice...............

Is that on a work day?

coz i think they have to do about 5 laps to practice...............

MGP riders would know the course anyway

Archived