[BBC News] 16 teams confirmed for 'green' TT

Newsbot

Are they trying to kill the T.T. off? Four or five years ago, you didn't have to have an interest in the bikes, they'd put on some entertainment that appealed to a broader market and attempt to minimise the inconvenience the general public. Since the Centenary they've maximised the inconvenience and decided not to bring anything over for non-bikers. Our taxes pay for this event, and we get nothing for it but inconvenience upon inconvenience. The very least the organisers should do is let the people who pay for their jamboree get home of an evening.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, June 2, and on the following three days, an extra hour has been bolted on, meaning roads will close at 4pm around the mountain section, and at 5pm around the rest of the course.

There'll be some nasty letters about this..... it's bad enough getting home in time for the normal 6pm close - how on earth do they expect people to do ? Finish work at 5 and sit around doing nothing until the roads open again at 9 ish? What planet do these people live on?

On the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of Practice week, the mountain road will be closing at 4pm, and the rest of the course will be closing at 5pm.

I understand that the TTMA have big concerns about their ability to fully marshal the course as during practice week, most marshals are locals who work during the day. There were big moans last year when the Mountain closed at 5pm and the rest at 6pm as they had problems with the locals not being able to finish work earlier.

Someone in the Govt must think that no-one will mind the roads closing in Douglas at 5pm - and that maybe everyone who will be stuck in Douglas each evening won't mind "as it for the green bikes".................

I also understand that this isn't anything to do with the TT organisers (who by all accounts are against the earlier closure), but seems to be Martyn Quayle's idea......

:o Do they really think that they can get away with closing the roads at 5pm.. I am normally quite tolerant of the road closures but this is going too far, I could probably work around 1 evening but 4 !! maybe you are right Declan this is a sure way to kill off the TT, people will not put up with this.

OOOH I am really looking forward to the 3 frustrating hours getting from Douglas to Glen Vine - to pick up my kids, and then being able to get from Glen Vine as far as Barregarrow and then sit there until 9pm (with my three young children) waiting for the roads open - Great

My tolerance for this event is rapidly deteriorating.

OOOH I am really looking forward to the 3 frustrating hours getting from Douglas to Glen Vine - to pick up my kids, and then being able to get from Glen Vine as far as Barregarrow and then sit there until 9pm (with my three young children) waiting for the roads open - Great

My tolerance for this event is rapidly deteriorating.

I was talking to some Marshals from Ramsey and i don't think they will be closing any roads before 6PM, mr Quayle is on another planet and will do the event no good at all :angry:

The reason the thursday afternoon practice stopped was due to most of the marshals being at WORK !!

But hey Does Mr Quayle Know what work is ?

Are they trying to kill the T.T. off? Four or five years ago, you didn't have to have an interest in the bikes, they'd put on some entertainment that appealed to a broader market and attempt to minimise the inconvenience the general public. Since the Centenary they've maximised the inconvenience and decided not to bring anything over for non-bikers. Our taxes pay for this event, and we get nothing for it but inconvenience upon inconvenience. The very least the organisers should do is let the people who pay for their jamboree get home of an evening.

Was this not the time when the DTL created a new post within the department, MANAGER OF MOTORSPORTS and hangers on. Since this appointment the TT seems to have lost quite a few things. Has anyone noticed the DTLs lack of requests for home stay this year, it must be down to all these new hotels.

Was this not the time when the DTL created a new post within the department, MANAGER OF MOTORSPORTS and hangers on. Since this appointment the TT seems to have lost quite a few things. Has anyone noticed the DTLs lack of requests for home stay this year, it must be down to all these new hotels.

they don't start asking for homestay till about 2 weeks before they need them. useless wankers.

I am so pleased that there are no petrol heads saying how great it is that the roads will be closing an hour earlier than normal - I am enraged that Mr Quayle beleives that apologising for the inconvenience will suffice !

Is he hoping that in 6 weeks time there will be so many people in the finance sector out of work that the roads will be less busy ?

It is ridiculous to expect the workforce of Douglas to travel thru' the pathetic excuse for an access road to get home or to navigate along the promenade at snails pace and then travel at the same pace through to Onchan, Laxey and beyond.

And what about the people who actually live on the course itself, the whole idea is ludicrous.

I hope the Marshall's stick together and say NO. I thoroughly enjoy the TT btw - but am unable to see why we want to watch some electric bikes go around the circuit, lets let them play at Jurby or on the Southern 100 circuit - or better still set up a scaletrix track for them at the back of the grandstand.

What was the reason for stopping the AM practices (apart from waking people up!)?

Not sure if that was the reason - but if the electric ones are quiet then lets have a couple of early mornings !

I would rather be woken early than be unable to get home at the end of the working day.

What was the reason for stopping the AM practices (apart from waking people up!)?

They were having problems getting enough Marshals during practice week as most are local and they didn't want to get up at 5am, do morning practice, spend the day at work, do evening practice, get home at 10/11pm and then repeat for the next 5 days.........

They were having problems getting enough Marshals during practice week as most are local and they didn't want to get up at 5am, do morning practice, spend the day at work, do evening practice, get home at 10/11pm and then repeat for the next 5 days.........

Ah, I can understand. Maybe the Govt should consider starting to pay the marshalls. Nobody seems to mind doing long hours every now and then as long as you get paid.

Archived