[BBC News] 16 teams confirmed for 'green' TT

Newsbot

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's an inconvenience, but it's also the first time this events being trialled. Give em a year and see if it floats, eh?

I'm all for supporting the new idea Slim...but how about a bit of thought for the people that will be affected by the changing road closure times.

I aint no Manx Crab but the abitrary way that things are done does grate after a while...

a very good post frex, but the fact still remains that TT or TTXYZ, the same useless fuckwit tourist board are the ones that are asking for the road closures and expecting the isle of man to stand still and be incoinvenienced beyond the norm. i agree it is a great idea, and as slim says, give em a go. but it is still tied up in the same TT event, with the same marshalls and medical staff, and as such is in my mind still part of the TT meeting. as the roads can if necesary be kept closed longer than scheduled, it would make more sense to me to keep them closed for another 45 mins and let the battery boys go then, it is not like there will be a noise issue for sleeping babies??. they don't have any problem keeping roads closed after races for practice laps too to fit them in. closing roads during rush hour is just plain stupid. considering the amount of money the powers that be piss away, most folks would rather say fuck the 100k and keep the roads open. I would. it would be the least amount of money they ever wasted...

It's an inconvenience, but it's also the first time this events being trialled. Give em a year and see if it floats, eh?

I'm all for supporting the new idea Slim...but how about a bit of thought for the people that will be affected by the changing road closure times.

I aint no Manx Crab but the abitrary way that things are done does grate after a while...

Fair enough. Doesn't really affect me, as I don't drive much, but I'll give you all a wave as I walk past on the prom :). You'd have thought they'd have been better taking some time out of the TT allotment to accommodate this, rather than extending the hours.

Is there a simple calendar of events anywhere?

Edit: another idea, they could have just used the mountain road for the TTGXP, I doubt many people would give a shite about that provided you could get through Onchan and the Peel Road.

Yes great post frex.

A general question.

I think we'd all agree that the TT course is the most challenging in the world.

BUT

Why exactly choose the IOM to put on a prototype TTXGP instead of a far more accessible venue with a conventional race track?

Is it just a case of the cachet? Or are there other less apparent reasons?

Why exactly choose the IOM to put on a prototype TTXGP instead of a far more accessible venue with a conventional race track?

Maybe TTXGP Ltd couldn't sell it to any other suckers. The IOM Gov would buy chocolate fireguards or powdered water if it's marketed to them right.

It would be interesting to see what the pollution offset against the 'Green' TT would be with having a few thousand cars sat around in 1st and 2nd gear clogging up the roads for a few hours. :lol:

There's nothing green about the actual race, lugging the bikes over here etc. This is more about raising the profile and pushing money into development, which will benefit millions potentially.

the whole thing is starting look more than a bit amateur. What is going to happen next year technology wont move so fast that honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki and KTM will all have homologated electric race bikes available so do we have to endure the same procession again?

i am all for the use of EV and plugins etc but this has been badly organised it could have been a 1 lap parade at the end of TT week and had just as much significance. Like night races in motogp and F1 everyone wanted to be the first to do it but later years prove its perhaps not the greatest idea.

plenty of room in the TT practice schedule now for 250s, 125s, 400s and Singles i would say!

Yes great post frex.

A general question.

I think we'd all agree that the TT course is the most challenging in the world.

BUT

The IOM Gove/DTL have taken this on as business venture. If it takes off and other tracks or countries want to have the race then the will have to pay the DTL for a licence to run it.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks quite interesting - I might go and see that race to satisfy a curiosity. And to see some miffed motorcyclists who, if the biking boards are anything to go by, are giving this initiative a big camp, leathery thumbs down. I do question the obsession with speed however - this race might be more interesting if it was given an element of endurance about it. That would be more beneficial to the technology development aspect of it. But maybe speed and endurance are interconnected.

Two of the latest rumours from the back of the cab;

The electric bikes will change batteries at Sulby pits to get them up the hills;

The TT is being brought forward three weeks to fit into Rossi's schedule.

That looks quite interesting - I might go and see that race to satisfy a curiosity. And to see some miffed motorcyclists who, if the biking boards are anything to go by, are giving this initiative a big camp, leathery thumbs down. I do question the obsession with speed however - this race might be more interesting if it was given an element of endurance about it. That would be more beneficial to the technology development aspect of it. But maybe speed and endurance are interconnected.

If you do decide to go and spectate keyboarder, choose your spot wisely, otherwise you might be stuck there, and then have to endure some proper racing :D

Joking aside though, I personally like the idea of alternative machines being used and tested. However, I do believe that the choice of venue and the inclusion within the TT Schedule is a little in conceived.

They should have at least tested these machines in a friendlier environment beforehand, and then maybe brought them across in another year or so when they were certain that they would be capable of completing the course. From all accounts, some of the entries will be close to the wire regarding build and preparation for this event!

One of the main concerns with the TTXGP that I can see, is that they might fail to perform as promised, and how will that look then, especially after your government’s reported input of some £100,000!

Archived