[BBC News] 16 teams confirmed for 'green' TT

Newsbot

Too big, too heavy, and too firmly fixed to the frame. This is racing, remember, not a 5-day sight-seeing tour

Sure, but it's a lot quicker than trying to recharge them. My point is though that it's a new race, the benchmark has yet to be set. We need to see what they can do.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure, but it's a lot quicker than trying to recharge them. My point is though that it's a new race, the benchmark has yet to be set. We need to see what they can do.

And my point is that I - like others - believe that battery technology has not yet evolved to a point where motorcycles can complete a lap of the TT course at racing speed.

Whether or not this is true will soon become clear.

Simples.

And my point is that I - like others - believe that battery technology has not yet evolved to a point where motorcycles can complete a lap of the TT course at racing speed.

Whether or not this is true will soon become clear.

Simples.

Again, what is racing speed? The benchmark hasn't been set. The first petrol bikes did it with pedals and average 30mph. We'll see what the first electric bikes do, from then on it'll be racing speed.

This is new, it's the first time it's been done. They're not about to keep up with the petrol bikes and nobody's suggesting they could, but they should do better pace than the milk floats and electric scooters we've seen so far from this technology.

It does not equal some as yet unknown percentage of how fast as they can go in order to save enough electricity to reach the end of a lap.

But normal motorbikes run out of petrol during the TT sometimes. Is this because they were going too fast to save enough fuel to reach the end of the lap? Your example is crap.

Just like there is a lap record for 50cc, 125cc, 250cc, 350cc, 500cc etc so there will be established this year a lap record for "Electric" bikes. That will be the definition of "fast".

And if it continues, each year teams will try to beat the record.

And so the development of these machines will come about. So it goes.

Again, what is racing speed?

Racing speed = as fast as they can go.

It does not equal some as yet unknown percentage of how fast as they can go in order to save enough electricity to reach the end of a lap.

So marathon runners aren't running at racing speed?

Again, what is racing speed?

Racing speed = as fast as they can go.

So marathon runners aren't running at racing speed?

Last I heard, marathon runners didn't have engines.

But it does illustrate the fact that sometimes it's necessary to go slowly in order to reach the finish line, which is EXACTLY what we have been saying about electric bikes.

Even the organisers have said some of them will not reach the finish, and they're all afraid they may not make it over the mountain.

It's science, but not rocket science.

But it does illustrate the fact that sometimes it's necessary to go slowly in order to reach the finish line, which is EXACTLY what we have been saying about electric bikes.

Even the organisers have said some of them will not reach the finish, and they're all afraid they may not make it over the mountain.

It's science, but not rocket science.

The baseline hasn't been set. Going fast is a relative term, getting round the TT course on my cycle at an average of 18mph is fast, but it's slow for a car. You can't say what's fast or not, because it's not been done before. If only one of them makes it round, and the average speed is 50mph, for example, the following year a completed lap at 60mph will be fast for an electric bike round the TT course.

Archived