[BBC News] Air travel numbers drop expected

Newsbot

"I remain optimistic that from May we should start to see a reversal in monthly passenger comparisons as we will then be comparing a like-for-like situation".

How reassuring.

:angry:

airprot dictator is most stupid person

she sayin fall in pasenger % wil improov next month

why?

corse then she begin comparin with horribel pasenger numbers in last year !!

verri good job she not doin restrant acounts as she get sack

" mr Kong, this month restrant takins are fabulus, becorse thay exactly the same as that terribel April last year"

:angry:

airprot dictator is most stupid person

she sayin fall in pasenger % wil improov next month

why?

corse then she begin comparin with horribel pasenger numbers in last year !!

verri good job she not doin restrant acounts as she get sack

" mr Kong, this month restrant takins are fabulus, becorse thay exactly the same as that terribel April last year"

was it May last year that she started her post?

IF she was really that confident she would be publishing in advance the targets she agreed so her performance could be measured against her Plan.

Probably the following is a wrong assumption - but were there any traffic number projections used in the original justification for the capital expenditure proposals for the airport runway extensions?

IF she was really that confident she would be publishing in advance the targets she agreed so her performance could be measured against her Plan.

Probably the following is a wrong assumption - but were there any traffic number projections used in the original justification for the capital expenditure proposals for the airport runway extensions?

There most certainly were on the planning and finance package lauded CD (BTW Tynwald were told this was at best fanciful) 1 million by 2010, 1.75million by 2015 and 2.5 million by 2030 !

All look a long way off don't they, still the global downturn has come to the rescue, pity it can't rescue our at a guess 80million by the time its done !

[There most certainly were on the planning and finance package lauded CD (BTW Tynwald were told this was at best fanciful) 1 million by 2010, 1.75million by 2015 and 2.5 million by 2030 !

All look a long way off don't they, still the global downturn has come to the rescue, pity it can't rescue our at a guess 80million by the time its done !

Thanks for that. Last year total passengers 763,200. So far this year tracking down by about 10% but BIG INCREASE will happen in May (hope it does) so say overall down 5% would mean 2009 about 725,000.

Which would mean a smidgin short of a 40% increase in 2010 to meet targets. I wonder if Ann Reynold's bonus is looking good? Of course it may be based on extending the runway and building the new Control Tower rather than passenger numbers?

One of the worrying aspects about this is that charges will presumably be based on total costs divided by passenger numbers - so as costs increase to repay capital works - and passenger numbers don't grow much - up will go the charges to make things less attractive for flying.

People.........listen. I don't want to engage CAPS LOCK to shout out this message but it's clearly falling on deaf ears.

IOM Airport needs freeing from the shackles of the State and until such time as that happens the burden of capital expenditure and over-inflated fees will remain squarley on Manx taxpayers and airport users.

All employees at the airport are civil servants and we all know about the drain, in tems of pension liability and higher salaries in comparison to the private sector, they enjoy. The aviation industry has lead in the outsourcing of services - except on the Isle of Man. Management, baggage handling, air traffic control and security (by that I mean the the overpaid parking attendants) can all go 'private' and in doing so would not only save the tax payer a wad of money but also enable fees to reduce. The cost base would inevitably come down.

Do you honestly think a private company would raise £40M for something that was nothing more than a possibility (the RESA)?

As a local authority, the government could retain a part ownership as many others do around the aviation world - it is a State asset over which it needs some sayso but otherwise, get out.

As I've said before, unfortunately nobody in our body politic has the gonads to sort the place out and do us all a favour. It's entire working fabric is an anachronism.

"I remain optimistic that from May we should start to see a reversal in monthly passenger comparisons as we will then be comparing a like-for-like situation".

I read and re read this quote about 10 times and it still sounds like a load of old bollocks to me. What is this woman talking about?

EuroManx stopped 9th May 2008.

I read and re read this quote about 10 times and it still sounds like a load of old bollocks to me. What is this woman talking about?

EuroManx stopped 9th May 2008.

IOM Airport Press Release May 2008:

The number of passengers using the Isle of Man Airport has increased by 6% in May even though Euromanx, the airline that was responsible for flying about one third of the airport’s passengers, ceased operations on 9th May. Almost 71,600 passengers passed through the Airport, nearly 4,000 more than in May 2007. This is the seventh successive month that the Airport has recorded an increase in passenger numbers, and so far this year air passenger numbers to and from the Island have surged by almost 8%.

The Airport is keen to acknowledge that this continued upward trend is largely due to the outstanding response from Flybe and Manx2 following the closure of Euromanx. Both airlines quickly rose to the challenge, offering passengers affected free transfers to their own flights. The Isle of Man Government and the Airport also provided valuable support, allowing taxes and airport charges to be waived so that stranded passengers did not have to pay them twice. As a result, most passengers who had booked with Euromanx to travel in May were still able to fly.

“We were delighted with the proactive support we received from Flybe and Manx2 during the crisis that faced many thousands of our passengers,” said Ann Reynolds, Isle of Man Airport Director. “The May figures show that the vast majority of Euromanx passengers were able to quickly rearrange their travel plans thanks to Flybe and Manx2. As a result, passenger numbers continued to hold up well with the Manchester route increasing by 2,300 passengers over May 2007 and Liverpool sustaining the same level. Belfast City another route previously operated by Euromanx was also up - by 7%.”

So I assume that the airport Manager is not implying that there was a fall in numbers in May last year because of Euromanx demise that will even out comparative trends this year.

:o

oh manx govenment so wanderful efishient

why not all privat busness shud becom govenment

just dreemin but think how wanderful

manx govenment restrants

manx govenment fish an chip shops

manx govenment super-markets

manx govenment cloths shops

manx govenment wine shop

everi one havin free pensoin

no bodi ever bein sacked

everi one havin automatec pay increes regardles