Douglas Borough Engineer And Surveyor

Moghrey Mie

come on now, keep up with local practices!! the job has already be 'assigned' to someone who already KNOWS they have the job. but the law requires the job to be advertised in the local media.

I applied for a job with the IoM Government. It seemed to suit me to a tee.

I phoned up the name on the application and asked about the job and if they had anyone in mind for it.

I spent time asking for references and was up to the early hours competing the application form. My hopes were high.

I was at a party soon after and met someone who had worked in the relevant section and was told the person was already in place on a contract and the advert was just a formality.

Ah well.

Why would an advert for a new Borough Engineer and Surveyor (electrical services manager) for Douglas appear on in the Guardian under creative and media section. It seems like poorly targeted advertising not to say a waste of money.

I doubt whether somebody looking for a technical job like that would be looking there.

Incidentally the advert refers to ' the Authority's lightening assets'

Is Douglas Corporation / Council / Authority keeping something from the ratepayers?

The other thing is, no one here on the Island who was any good would want to go and work there. The only hope they have is to bring someone over here who doesn't know any better..... Btw they have rebranded themselves as the Douglas Borough Council - not the Corpy anymore. But also a Local Authority. What's in a name?

(LOL. ' the Authority's lightening assets' - very funny.....)

Why would an advert for a new Borough Engineer and Surveyor (electrical services manager) for Douglas appear on in the Guardian under creative and media section. It seems like poorly targeted advertising not to say a waste of money.

I doubt whether somebody looking for a technical job like that would be looking there.

Incidentally the advert refers to ' the Authority's lightening assets'

Is Douglas Corporation / Council / Authority keeping something from the ratepayers?

I know a few Manx people recently who have applied for government jobs they were qualified for and who never got an interview. They don't want to interview a Manxie as they might actually have to offer them a job. The whole process positively stinks in my opinion. Better have someone from across than a Manxie who knows more than the person interviewing them.

There are Government jobs get filled without a hint of advertisement. On the qt as they say?

The Coroner for Middle Havercroft recently retired to his kingdom and much property wealth to the East. His job was quickly filled but I don't remember seeing the post advertised. Of course, such a position requires only the highest possible standards so perhaps best not to advertise.

In the past, such posts as Commissioners Clerks have been filled with little more than a nod ;)

Archived