[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Motorists are asked to be sympathetic to the earlier road closures which will be in place during the Isle of Man TT 2009.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7998245.stm

This is going to be a total disaster. Why bother going to work at all! Do the powers that be not realise that a lot of us put in a large number of extra hours to make TT happen? The purpose in moving the afternoon practice to another evening one was to get rid of the Douglas grid lock. This will make it happen every night. We don't all have the luxury of being able to finish early every night, especially if you are having to take the morning off to look after Homestay visitors!

Add some morning practices or close the roas at 1pm the first weekend (Sat and Sunday) to get the extra hours in. Don't gridlock Douglas!!!

Motorists are asked to be sympathetic to the earlier road closures which will be in place during the Isle of Man TT 2009.

How about the Govt being sympathetic to the motorists who have to go about their daily lives whilst this is on.....a bit of give and take would be nice. How about staggering the finishing times of all Govt employees in Douglas? That would help the burden at 5pm.

Closing early? - how much will that cost the Island economy in these present times and no doubt all MHK's will be off for those two weeks anyway so it won't bother them will it. Would we really miss the TT if it went - I for one won't and neither probably will those horses forced to work amongst the bikes on the waste of money that is the horse trams. Not a fan as you can tell! Bit I do feel it's time the Govt got their priorities right and thought about things before jumping in on stupid-ass ideas like this one. Dear me.........

I'm not a fan of the TT, nor really a big supporter of its continuation, but is a bit of a delay for you to get home on 3/4 nights over one week really that much of a disaster to you? Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but even the small number of advantages and benefits the TT brings outweigh a handful of financial workers having to wait an extra 30 minutes before they zap their ready meals.

And hey, it doesn't apply to everyone for sure, but there are a *lot* of people who drive in regularly when they're in very comfortable walking distance. In the middle of June, with road delays ahead, maybe they should take the walking option and relieve the stress on the roads in addition to getting home quicker than by car!

Perhaps to alleviate congestion they should allow parking on the Summerland site for the fortnight.

People could then do this revolutionary thing known as walking along the prom to work.

It will probably take less time than being stuck in a traffic jam and leave people nicely unstressed for the remainder of their journey.

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=34776

Dr Steven's pretty much says no to this one.

how come DTL DoT didnt speak to the medical officer before releasing this news?

all the TTXGP riders will be riding in the TT they should only be required to do 1 lap on the bike at qualifiy speed for the class which i would estimate to be 50 /60mph lap with a probably + 2mins. so they should all be able to do it in 2 or 3 sessions in race week as planned.

its a load of cock i am afraid.

It's all very well saying be tolerent etc, yes I suppose I could try and not blow my top when stuck in gridlock traffic not moving anywhere, but what really hacks me off is what do I do once I get out of Douglas, because I can't get home!!!

I could sit at Douglas Road Corner or Barregarroo cross roads, with a two year old, a five year old and an eleven year old, who have no interest in bikes what soever, and the two year old normally is in bed about 7ish, so I get to sit for two to three hours with world war three going on in my car, until 9pm when they open the road.

I've got no chance of getting any time off TT week, people have it already booked - I never thought to book it because I didn't expect there to be this "great idea" to close the roads earlier.

Yipee - really looking forward to it :angry:

How ridiculous is this government getting! To put on a 'green' TT they will cause hundreds or even thousands to sit in gridlocked traffic with engines running for hours!!! How ironic is that???? Balance that carbon footprint!!!! Even going with Ans hint at walking more, just how few can that really be an option for. This matter will not affect me in any way at all, but I can only breath a sigh of releif I won't be going through that hell all week long!

Has nothing been learned since the delayed race days brought Douglas to its knees at 5pm? What about those living in the likes of Kirk Michael which is totally locked off by the course? What about those with children at child minders? What about those working for international companies or buisnesses unable to alter working hours? Just how many people will be inconvenienced for 16 bikes? Why not put them on last with the roads open car following them around? Why not let them have a practice between races on a race day or at the end of a racing session?

Total madness that will hopefully for many be enough to appeal to their MHK at election time to bring about an end to putting the races before the locals.

Depending on where you live of course.....

I hear what you are saying but there could be more done to alleviate the congestion...and that's a year round criticism too, not just TT fortnight!

Yep, the access road is shit for a start off, and it's a shame the changes at signpost didn't allow cars to get through the junction as the bikes go down the old road, that would have taken a lot of pressure off the prom.

Still, the best thing for most of people out of town would be if the residents of Douglas and Onchan got of their arses and biked or walked in, I bet it'd be quicker to do that TT week if you're able.

Archived