[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

Having put up with Morning pactice for too many sessions, I'd not ever want to go back to it. Sorry, but it costs me a weeks holiday

Local TT marshals / supporters would mostly take TT fortnight as work leave, no ?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that the better U turn would be to revert to three early morning sessions later in the week when there are more people available to officiate. These could also be used as emergency sessions for weather stricken non qualifiers to get a lap in?

Quite frankly I'm incensed by this, with all of the so called 'expertise' of the quango, they come out with this as a solution.

The whole event is seriously beginning to lose it's lustre, some good work has been done in upgrading the racing but at the expense of the very thing that keeps the event important, it's heritage and accessability.

I bet the quango wonders how the MMCC managed to run the event so successfully with very little help fom the government, just as they do the MGP. That event is seriously going to become a much bigger and better event than the TT very shortly, because it is run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, and the DTL seem hell bent on making life as difficult as possible for them!

...... There is clearly going to be a huge U turn from DTL and Mr Qualye.

There might not even be a U turn - they may find they've driven themselves down a cul-de-sac

Actually, its not even as much of a done deal as the Tourism Dept. and race organisers have been portraying

Neither the Dept. of Tourism nor the ACU close the roads - they, like anyone else, have to follow a statutory procedure in applying for a road closing order.

Apart from genuine emergencies, road closing orders are not granted 'at the drop of a hat' - in order to receive proper scrutiny, the application must have been with the DOT for weeks, if not months. If the Dept of Tourism were contemplating this, it could have been given public airing (and maybe even a positive spin) months ago, and given time for those affected to air their concerns and possibly make plans to accomodate this.

It is obviously under-hand for this to have been kept secret until it is presented as a fait-accompli, and shows that the Tourism Dept. had no confidence in the people of the Island.

As far as I have seen so far, no one has yet had the nerve to tell the public

The Road Closing order has not yet been signed

(or at least what I just been told by the Highway Board)

If you wish to pass comment on it (either way) you can telephone the Road Closure dept. on 686 904 (where they are collating residents' views) or write to them at Highways Admin, Sea Terminal Building

If you are writing, you may also wish to ask the Dept. of Transport, if they are minded to consider extending the road closing times, how that extra incovenience squares with the DOT's published policy "To provide and promote safe and efficient infrastructure for travel, transport and navigation".

(and for the nay-sayers - I'm fully in favour of the XGP - but not at any cost - and my family are genuine Manx for many generations back)

Local TT marshals / supporters would mostly take TT fortnight as work leave, no ?

I don't think so, the ones I know, and the one I employ, can't afford the holiday time to take all TT fortnight off, plus other motorsport events they marshal for and also have holiday time left for family holidays.

Similarly some friends involved with the Hogg ambulance cover all sorts of motorsport events both on and off Island and they can't afford to take all of the TT fortnight off work

I also have friends at the hospital and their work has been scheduled around having fresh experienced staff on duty for the practices and races and the early start for the practices, with no apparent discussion or warning, has buggered all that up.

I think it's going to be chaos if it goes ahead and I'm just glad I'll be off the Island during practice week.

On iomtoday

Mr Quayle said he would be among the people affected by the early road closures.

'I will probably be caught up with everyone else but luckily I can do some of my work from home.

'This is not a last minute thing. We did plan months ago for this scenario of extra practices,' he added. 'But until now we did not know for certain that they would be needed.'

A little tear of gratitude ran down my cheek when I read that.

Look he's just like us.

On iomtoday
Mr Quayle said he would be among the people affected by the early road closures.

'I will probably be caught up with everyone else but luckily I can do some of my work from home.

'This is not a last minute thing. We did plan months ago for this scenario of extra practices,' he added. 'But until now we did not know for certain that they would be needed.'

A little tear of gratitude ran down my cheek when I read that.

Look he's just like us.

Speak for yourself.

Can't help but wonder whether he and T Dan Quayle have a common ancestor?

Fubar - Quayle's a tit. I've seen better management at Luton Town FC.

They couldn't sabotage things, make 1000 marshals instantly unpopular, and give the TT as bad a name with as many locals and businesses, any better than this than if they tried.

Resign.

Archived