[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry but it is a hassle. My house is on the course and I am trapped in all day or have to make plans to stay out all day. Also, the TT just encourages "petrolheads" who think it is fun to see if they can overtake cars whilst causing danger to other road users. What is the deal with these guys?

These guys that are driving as you describe are called motorcyclists and the Isle of Man has been home to the TT for over 100 years SO F*CK OFF BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND PERSECUTE THE NATIVES OF THAT COUNTRY :angry:

There are some companies in the phone book called estate agents who will have no problem selling your house for you, give them a call in the morning on your way to the airport :lol:

I'm sorry but it is a hassle. My house is on the course and I am trapped in all day or have to make plans to stay out all day. Also, the TT just encourages "petrolheads" who think it is fun to see if they can overtake cars whilst causing danger to other road users. What is the deal with these guys?

These guys that are driving as you describe are called motorcyclists and the Isle of Man has been home to the TT for over 100 years SO F*CK OFF BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND PERSECUTE THE NATIVES OF THAT COUNTRY :angry:

There are some companies in the phone book called estate agents who will have no problem selling your house for you, give them a call in the morning on your way to the airport :lol:

I most certainly not be calling any estate agent. You are a very rude indeed. I have nothing further to add to this subject.

It does not need to be just about going fast.

Quite so. Make it nice and "green" and slow, with electric milk-floats. Call it the Tortoise Trophy.

S

You know perfectly well that I was talking about the electric race. If the TT morphs into a tech event it can also be about great engineering and testing out new ideas - eg with handicaps based on how infrequently a machine has to have the batteries changed or how efficient it is.

It is remarkable that the current generation of bikes are still so fuel inefficient for the weight which they carry.

The tech event has the potential of a future. And attracting money. It should be the main event. More about the bikes and less about the riders.

The tech event has the potential of a future. And attracting money. It should be the main event. More about the bikes and less about the riders.

I suspect you are missing the key reason why so many otherwise logical thinking males are passionate about the TT - others have described it a a gladatorial combat between man (+ his trusty weapons) and a implacable enemy (the road) in which the only allowed outcomes are honour or death. - I doubt if a techies love of gadgets would really satisfy this animal instinct ( a feature of all adventure stories sime King Orry's days.

Quite ironic given where he comes from - I'm assuming that wasn't deliberate anyway :)

As usual with this forum, what could have been an interesting, informative and quite useful thread has degenerated into the familiar childish hissy fits, largely based on the same old theme, "I'm Manx, you're not, so f*ck *off", which is no way to run a dance-hall, never mind a country.

Meanwhile, and despite clear and legitimate complaints (check this forum for the Hospital, MEA and Airport budget over-runs, and even consider the scandal involving a Chief Minister and inapropriate use of grant money) - meanwhile the slime gets slimier but wealthier and you boys don't care as long as you can send a comeover back home on the Ferry for daring to complain about the TT, the Faeries or the unbelievable ripoff being conducted by an airline industry which has been allowed free use of a mask and gun to rob people with the audacity to want to travel to and from this glittering jewel in the Irish Sea.

The fact is that all is not well (nor is the Isle of Man the only place of which this is true) and public complaint and criticism is one of the first ways to begin change. If having the oldest continuous parliament in the world has any meaning beyond being an interesting entry in wikipedia, then people need the freedom and encouragement to speak out, not the racist abuse regularly heaped on them on here for being born somewhere other than a Foxdale cowshed.

Personally I think that if you buy a house next to the TT course, complaining about the inconvenience makes you look like a tw*t, but it shouldn't make you a candidate for racial abuse. But this (the Isle of Man) is the only country in the world where racisim is not just allowed but actively encouraged (in fact it seems to be a national pastime), so hey-ho...

Everyone knows the TT has been on its last legs for 102 years, etc, but the situation is a trifle different now. Okay, it has changed during that time, but not as much or as fast as the rest of the world, and there's no doubt it is out of step with the society in which it must exist on the Island and with the attitudes and customs in the world outside which, like it or not, DOES have an opinion about the Isle of Man and is entitled to exercise and express it.

Aside from the impact on Island life for a month, the TT is also inherently dangerous. There can be no argument which denies the death toll. The same is true of mountaineering of course, but there's no prize fund for climbing Everest. If the Nepalese government gave everyone who reached the top £25k, there would soon be an outcry, but that's exactly the situation here.

If you really believe that all the top riders and teams only do it for the personal challenge, divert all the prize money and the start money into a safety fund - use it for the marshals' travel and expenses, the airfence and helicopters etc, and see what happens then.

There's a vast government infrastructure which supports, funds, promotes and organises the TT, and though you can point accusing fingers at the TTMA or the ACU or the MMC when things go wrong, the truth is that the continuation of the TT is government policy and that in turn means there is no escape from the fact that successive governments have had (and will have) blood on their hands.

The reason they don't stop it now, before it starts again, is not history, heritage or tradition. It's all about the money. The last vestige of the tourism industry is supported by a single event and the Island cannot afford to voluntarily let it go without first thinking of an altrernative - but why bother when we already have the TT?

True, the TT is an Isle of Man standard-bearer, and everywhere you go in the world you find everyone immediately knows this place for the TT, and you don't need a lot of expensive market research to uncover that fact. What the research didn't say is that all those people know it not for the lap record or the list of winners (most have never heard of Joey Dunlop, never mind John McGuinness), they know it because it is so bloody dangerous and because so many riders have lost their lives here (227 in total, 34 in the last 10 years). Like it or not, those are the statistics which make the headlines and grab people's attention, and next to that no-one gives a toss about 130mph average lap speeds.

But what do we care? We can just sit here and call each other names for being born somewhere else, because it's easier than dealing with the content of their opinion in a grown-up and logical fashion.

The fact that someone was born in South Africa, Liverpool or London does not in itself invalidate their opinion, but it does give a lot of people on here the opportunity to deflect threads away from the subject they were aimed at...

Beautifully put.

Well said.

Though I bet he wouldn't be saying the same kind of thing if Muslim and Polish Immigrants were suddenly 56% of the population in the UK and were campaigning to ban Morris Dancing - nor sitting back if the Germans had won the war, had invaded the UK and kept on trumpeting 've von ze var and now live here and haff ze say - so throw away your crappy sausages and get used to ze bratwurst Tommy'.

His was nothing more than a rant self-justifying the effects of cultural annihilation.

Racism my arse.

Muslim and Polish Immigrants were suddenly 56% of the population in the UK

That percentage here is there?

cultural annihilation.

The language of paranoia

Muslim and Polish Immigrants were suddenly 56% of the population in the UK

That percentage here is there?

cultural annihilation.

The language of paranoia

56% of people here not born here. It is the language of demographics nothing more - you can't argue with a census surely?

Though I bet he wouldn't be saying the same kind of thing if Muslim and Polish Immigrants were suddenly 56% of the population in the UK and were campaigning to ban Morris Dancing - nor sitting back if the Germans had won the war, had invaded the UK and kept on trumpeting 've von ze var and now live here and haff ze say - so throw away your crappy sausages and get used to ze bratwurst Tommy'.

His was nothing more than a rant self-justifying the effects of cultural annihilation.

Racism my arse.

That's hardly like for like Albert. 91.5% of the Islands population are British after all.

56% not born here

All muslim and polish are they?

All bent on 'cultural anihilation' ?

Is that on the work permit paperwork now?

Reason for applying - ooh must put cultural anihilation.

Archived