[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

The tech event has the potential of a future. And attracting money. It should be the main event. More about the bikes and less about the riders.

I suspect you are missing the key reason why so many otherwise logical thinking males are passionate about the TT - others have described it a a gladatorial combat between man (+ his trusty weapons) and a implacable enemy (the road) in which the only allowed outcomes are honour or death. - I doubt if a techies love of gadgets would really satisfy this animal instinct ( a feature of all adventure stories sime King Orry's days.

originally it was about the endurance a technical development, just like moto GP is today, those bikes have more electronics than the shuttle ( possible exageration :P ) there is nothing to stop ( it may even be the concept ) of the electric TT being the development ground for mainstream applications on 2 wheels, there already are those most to the gallon machines and electric machines that compete, but they are about the extreme end of things and not really about building a family car or motorbike that works on lectric. it's more a case of the solar powered frisbe with 3 pram wheels took 2 weeks to travel 1000 miles, not a lot of use even if a technical achievemnet.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the history of both the original car trials and the later m/c events - it was the 1920's when m/cs became affordable to the average young working class male (eg my father) and thus they could begin to identify with the riders whose machines were 'merely' top of the range models. The young male working class were already a major component of the Manx tourist trade thus pushing the TT gave a good start to the tourist season.

His was nothing more than a rant self-justifying the effects of cultural annihilation.

Forgive my tiny brain capacity Albert, but would you care to explain this sentence? I've looked up rant in the dictionary just in case I misunderstood you, but I don't think I have, and I don't think you can find anything angry, aggressive or violent in anything I wote, which would seem to indicate that you are simply doing what I said, and having a go at me instead of my opinion, but using posh words to make everyone think you've actually got a point.

And there's more. "Self-justifying" in particular bothers me, because I don't see how it applies, and "cultural annihilation"? I mean, it's a nice little phrase, but what EXACTLY does it mean and what EXACTLY does it mean in the context in which you applied it?

As for that other guff about assorted foreigners at the beginning - what was that actually supposed to MEAN? You appear to be suggesting that I'd complain if the UK was full of immigrants..... Hello!!! Been there lately? And since I'm not a racist I haven't complained.

WW2? Germans? Bratwurst? WTF?

To be honest, and having read many of your posts, I expected a bit more sanity from you, and a lot less racism. But never mind.

what was the logic behind the marshals association out canvassing on saturday when most of the bike fans would have been at home watching the NW200 on the computer ? alternatively was it done so that they wouldn't have the bike fans and have just new prospects to enrol ?

:wacko:

Archived