[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

I suppose I could pay the child minder an extra few hours until the roads open

There you go. Problem solved. Wasn't that difficult was it ?

I find it hard to believe that all these people who are convinced that they are the lifeblood of the IOM's finance sector can't effectively plan around a minor event with more than 6 weeks' notice.

For 90% of the whingers there's probably an alternative route or a better way to get to and from work, but God forbid they'd have to get out of their single-occupancy 4x4's and actually think about anything other than themselves for a couple of days.

Motorsport brings a lot of cash into the island & keeps a lot of local businesses afloat, not to mention hoteliers, pubs and homestay suppliers. It raises the profile of the island, brings in tourists year-round and supplements the money you pay in tax, rather than taking it away.

As usual, a few minutes delay and people are whinging. Makes you realise how over-indulged and parochial the people really are over here - go to any large town in the UK and traffic delays are a nightly occurrence.

Here, even when given 6 weeks before a world-class event to think about getting on a bike, moped, bus, car-share, horse-tram or train, the whingers just look for any opportunity to vent their little parochial spleens at the fact that change is happening. Makes you ashamed to be living here.

Have you just discovered the word parochial? You are ace.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lonan3, I agree with you, it sucks if they've not consulted the volunteers who make the thing happen. Must be a nightmare thing to try and organise though, it's a monster. Like I said, is is the first crack at it, hopefully the kinks can be ironed out.

More to the point why should the people who's taxes fund the T.T. have to turn their lives around for these events. Why isn't the onus on the T.T. to fit in around the people who subsidise it.

What about those of us who don't drive? Our buses are caught in traffic just as much as car people are.

This 'I pay for this' attitude is the weakest argument going, you pay for all sorts of stuff with your taxes, you can't be selective about it.

I don't drive much either, if I needed to get a bus during the chaos, I'd just walk past it. Takes 10 mins to walk out of douglas and get a bus past the worst of it.

WTF: Yeah Govners sorry not signpost. Walk till 9 o'clock? Not sure what you mean. I, personally, don't see why most of douglas and onchan can't walk, but I'm a bit evangelical about that :)

So to encourage zero emissions we choke the streets of Douglas with car fumes. Whichever slant you look on it it is a crap way of encouraging development of better technology. It is a 'green' race and the emphasis on the publicity is highlighting that aspect of it - to try and sell it otherwise is daft in itself.

No, this is about showing that zero emission machines can be fast, and to encourage and nurture development, same as technology from f1 makes it into regular cars. The connection to the traffic jams in douglas is just daft, it's a completely different scale.

We Like the Moon: Sorry, I still think the same, it's a bit inconvenient for you, but not the end of the world. I reckon, and I know I've an extreme view and most will disagree, that your dependance on your car is the big problem, not the TTGXP.

I'm not a fan of the TT either, I could do without it myself. Just think things like this highlight the sad dependence on cars.

I don't drive much either, if I needed to get a bus during the chaos, I'd just walk past it. Takes 10 mins to walk out of douglas and get a bus past the worst of it.

And then wait for the bus to get through the traffic?

Maybe, you're right, maybe everybody is being unreasonable and we can all use the time to read a book and frolic in the countryside. But what's annoying people is it's all so unnecessary they only have to close the roads half an hour later.

If TTXGP is only a one lap 'race' anyway, perhaps if it's run as a 'lap of honour' they won't need the extra hour in practices to fit it in.

Once the concept of green racing is established (next year) then it can be accommodated into afternoon practice shcedule as normal in 2010.

I suppose I could take a portable DVD player and a picnic and turn my car into a mini cinema until the roads open. :D Still won't be much fun - 3 kids couped up in a car for several hours = nightmare

The TT and idiotic local politicians were roaming the Island long before anyone on these forums was born.

What would be worse - stuck in traffic in an inner city in the UK or on the IOM?

Take the kids for a walk, it'll do 'em good. If the weather's bad then there's no practice.

Keeping young kids awake til 9pm and getting them up the next day for work/nursery. You obviously don't have young ones or haven't witnessed a temper tantrum of an overtired child. Maybe they can all be brought to Martin Quayle's house....

Have you just discovered the word parochial? You are ace.

No, but I've discovered that it sums you up nicely. Like the way you had to quote the whole post there, makes it much easier to read the single line of witless comeback you came up with.

I thought bloat quoting was the norm...aswell as long rambling posts with new words we learned. I was right...you are ace.

You obviously don't have young ones or haven't witnessed a temper tantrum of an overtired child.

Guilty as charged, don't want to pollute the planet with my DNA, one of me's enough :)

Maybe you should have thought of the TT and not Mr. T while procreating :P

Keeping young kids awake til 9pm and getting them up the next day for work/nursery. You obviously don't have young ones or haven't witnessed a temper tantrum of an overtired child. Maybe they can all be brought to Martin Quayle's house....

Why not walk them along the railway line home ? Or would that not justify a drama queen tirade ?

I find it tiresome listening to peoplw whingeing on about an event which has run with a similar format for 102 years! Did nobody tell them before they moved here or were they oblivious to the whole thing when they were growing up?

I have to be honest as a huge TT fan, former competitor and currently an official, that the organisers are taking the michael out of the huge army of volunteers who sacrifice their time, money and holidays to help make the event happen. There has been no consultation whatsoever with my group!!

What is going on with the huge overpaid government quango set up to ensure the smooth running of the event? Something the MMCC did with a team of volunteers for years?

I do have a bit of sympathy for people trying to get home etc. but it is a unique event which does benefit the island, despite what some may think, and even non race fans do get some enjoyment from it.

I bet the DOT have already ordered the special lorries and thousands of cones for the emergency services routes through the traffic chaos, and Mr Glum will sort the extra police vehicles to patrol it. :lol:

Archived