[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

Would it not have been better to introduce this race at the Steam packet races at the Billown circuit.It would still be part of TT week and would not cause all this extra disruption which appears to be pushing things to far. Alternatively,they could run it at the Jurby cicuit. If it does take off and is succesfull they could use the money it brings in to further develop the Jurby circuit.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would it not have been better to introduce this race at the Steam packet races at the Billown circuit.It would still be part of TT week and would not cause all this extra disruption which appears to be pushing things to far. Alternatively,they could run it at the Jurby cicuit. If it does take off and is succesfull they could use the money it brings in to further develop the Jurby circuit.

100% agree the alleged experts that decided that a 125/250 race at Billown was worthy of the title TT they made a clear statement that borderline classes with limited entries are best run on on the southern100 meeting the TTxGP is clearly in this category.

judging by the lack of involvment with the marshalls, the reaction on this board and the faces of people when they hear the news i can see a big back pedal on this one from Mr Qualyle.

I find it tiresome listening to peoplw whingeing on about an event which has run with a similar format for 102 years! Did nobody tell them before they moved here or were they oblivious to the whole thing when they were growing up?

But it's not the same as it once was. In the past, even five years ago, as you put it "even non race fans do get some enjoyment from it." Actually a lot of enjoyment. But what's happened is the bands they bring over have got crappier, you can't sit on the wall on the Prom without it being a health & safety issue, every contract gets awarded to off Island companies and getting home from work becomes a nightmare. It's not the races themselves that are the problem, it's how they're run.

I'm quite saddened by the thrust of this thread, and don't believe it's just comeovers who are 'TT whingers', based on the calls and texts I got today - can't be sure but there were lots of Manx names on them.

Let me make it clear, whilst I'm a petrolhead I'm not particularly interested in the TT races - I only have a passing interest in motorbike racing of any sort, and even then I prefer watching it on the telly with a frantic commentary. And the TT/MGP simply scare the wits out of me, and are the only motorsport events I wouldn't dream of having a go at if the opportunity arose.

That said, I've unbridled admiration for the competitors, marshals and all the other volunteers who've kept it alive for over 100 years. To many thousands of people here and abroad, the TT IS the Isle of Man and vice-versa.

The thing about the TTXGP is that the racing, carbon emissions, flat batteries, commercial business behind it, slow bikes, inconvenience to residents and all the rest of it are COMPLETELY unimportant in The Grand Scheme Of Things. This is the FIRST country anywhere in the world to have an ostensibly 'green' race as part of a major event as opposed to a tech showcase or paying lip-service with KERS systems or whatever. The positive press exposure the IOM will get out of this, rain or shine, accidents or not, is going to be worth millions, and we will be in the record books forever.

My understanding is that next year it'll be run during MGP anyway - so isn't it worth us all getting behind it for just 4 evenings for the good of our island?? Sure, the organisers seem to have boobed in the timing of this, there will probably be all sorts of problems in getting the thing to take place at all, and it might be a boring farce, but for once can't others see beyond their own self-interests and look at the big picture?

My understanding is that next year it'll be run during MGP anyway - so isn't it worth us all getting behind it for just 4 evenings for the good of our island?? Sure, the organisers seem to have boobed in the timing of this, there will probably be all sorts of problems in getting the thing to take place at all, and it might be a boring farce, but for once can't others see beyond their own self-interests and look at the big picture?

Well said Stu.

The positive press exposure the IOM will get out of this, rain or shine, accidents or not, is going to be worth millions, and we will be in the record books forever.

In this particular instance, I'd suggest that your glasses are more than rose-tinted and, at the end of the day, the DOT have, seemingly, launched into an ill-informed decision / announcement without taking the views of all interested parties into account. Mind you, at least they've not shelled out to a consultancy to get that far!

The thing about the TTXGP is that the racing, carbon emissions, flat batteries, commercial business behind it, slow bikes, inconvenience to residents and all the rest of it are COMPLETELY unimportant in The Grand Scheme Of Things.

Correct this is about the shear vindictive nastiness of our Government. They could have held the event on the Billowen circuit, or Jurby, they could hold the practises at a more convenient time of the day, they could hold them at the weekend. Apart from 8-9am it is difficult to imagine a worse time. Why? Why do they need to do this?

The thing about the TTXGP is that the racing, carbon emissions, flat batteries, commercial business behind it, slow bikes, inconvenience to residents and all the rest of it are COMPLETELY unimportant in The Grand Scheme Of Things.

Correct this is about the shear vindictive nastiness of our Government. They could have held the event on the Billowen circuit, or Jurby, they could hold the practises at a more convenient time of the day, they could hold them at the weekend. Apart from 8-9am it is difficult to imagine a worse time. Why? Why do they need to do this?

Because the people making the decisions will all be at corporate or taxpayer funded jollys and so won't be affected by the hassle

I'm quite saddened by the thrust of this thread, and don't believe it's just comeovers who are 'TT whingers', based on the calls and texts I got today - can't be sure but there were lots of Manx names on them.

Let me make it clear, whilst I'm a petrolhead I'm not particularly interested in the TT races - I only have a passing interest in motorbike racing of any sort, and even then I prefer watching it on the telly with a frantic commentary. And the TT/MGP simply scare the wits out of me, and are the only motorsport events I wouldn't dream of having a go at if the opportunity arose.

That said, I've unbridled admiration for the competitors, marshals and all the other volunteers who've kept it alive for over 100 years. To many thousands of people here and abroad, the TT IS the Isle of Man and vice-versa.

The thing about the TTXGP is that the racing, carbon emissions, flat batteries, commercial business behind it, slow bikes, inconvenience to residents and all the rest of it are COMPLETELY unimportant in The Grand Scheme Of Things. This is the FIRST country anywhere in the world to have an ostensibly 'green' race as part of a major event as opposed to a tech showcase or paying lip-service with KERS systems or whatever. The positive press exposure the IOM will get out of this, rain or shine, accidents or not, is going to be worth millions, and we will be in the record books forever.

Totally agree with the first couple of paragraphs Stu. It's not just the so called 'come overs' who don't agree with new road closures or the TT in general.

As for seeing the bigger picture, well yes I would like to look at that. What I see is far too many bike riders coming to the island and abusing the lack of a national speed limit, riding on roads they do not know often at speeds beyond their skills as riders, thusly putting alot of lives at risk. I see a police over streched for two weeks and unable to police roads to a safe standard. Our road structure is not really built for the volume of traffic that TT creates. I see a helicopter crew that saves countless lives that has to collect money in buckets in order to keep going, which is a joke considering how much money the TT generates. I see a blind eye turned to anti-social behaviour for a two week period as the police are too busy trying to protect the roads.

I have no problem with professional riders coming and racing on the island. I do have a problem with the fans who attend who think they can ride as well as the pro's on open roads.

I agree that they could have held this at Billown or Jurby, but the major attraction for this event is that it is on the, "ultra challenging" Mountain Course, not on easy, flat tracks. If the practices were held at a different time, or at the weekend, the same people complaining now, would have said the same sort of things, i.e. more inconvenience; not enough marshals. And it is not about "vindictive nastiness" - yes, there should have been more consultation and notice, but you are way off in suggesting this is deliberately designed to offend!

Archived