[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

I convenient reason that doesn't hold up to the harsh economic and safety conscious society in which we live. If it did more manufacturers would be supporting the TT to the deference of superbikes not the other way round. Also we would be attracting all of the worlds top riders not just those who are brave \ daft enough to risk their lives on such a dangerous circuit. what happens if something like superbikes includes a series of green races in their event calendars will the interest still be the same for the TT event.

As I've pointed out elsewhere on MF the IOM Government is paying to host TTXGP. That's the reason it's here and not in either the World or British championships. Nothing at all to do with 'the greatest challenge in the world' etc. They're here because the IOM is stumping up cash

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I've pointed out elsewhere on MF the IOM Government is paying to host TTXGP. That's the reason it's here and not in either the World or British championships. Nothing at all to do with 'the greatest challenge in the world' etc. They're here because the IOM is stumping up cash

Well thats something isn't it. This event which is not guaranteed to bring in any actual money (bar the rather intangible benefit of island awareness thanks to news coverage) is actually going to cost us thousands. Maybe thinking hats should have been applied here regarding the value for money (no not some free advertising that may lead to nothing, but the value of actual income to the island) before throwing tax payers money at it. Is this just another example of government waste, we shall see?

To close the public roads on the Island does an application have to be made to the courts, if so instead of moaning on here why did no one make an objection to the courts as permitted. Better still if half the Islands residents made an objection to the roads being closed to the courts, how long would it take Mr Moyle to hear all the objections.

Some of these bikes are run by Hydrogen cells, are these allowed on the Island, I think under the current regulations they are not.

The TT is like Marmite - you love it or hate it.

What would happen if the Government held a referendum on whether the TT should continue?

This could be done at the next General Election under proper conditions.

Why not?

Because the point of elected govt is to take important decisions. If you are going to decide things by referendum then you might was well abolish elected govt and just have civil servants and professional experts.

I love how those people whose lifestyle / situation enables them to remain mostly unaffected by inconveniences like this are always so appalled that other people could possibly consider it a problem. For those people who are able to make changes to get around the problem - great! Good for you. However, please be mindful that not everyone is so fortunate.

This is a huge inconvenience to the majority of the population who use the roads. Most of these people are simply unable to find any other way of beating the system. Some have suggested, why not delay your journey home.... go to the pub, watch the practices, have a nap on the beach.... etc. but these people ignore the fact that whilst that may be an option for some (very few), it is simply not an option for the majority.

People love to bring up the simple solutions:

Car sharing! Oh there are too many cars with single occupants!!! Why can't they go to work with their neighbours??! I think you'll find realistically, most people do not know their neighbours!! Secondly, they do not travel to the same place, or at the same time. My neighbour leaves on his motorbike every morning at 7:30am. I don't leave until 8:40am.

Adjust your work schedule! Work through lunch and leave early....

Most people simply cannot do this as they are required to be in the office/work place until the end of work hours. Secondly, leaving work 1 hour earlier is not going to cut it for most people! If I finish work at 5:30pm, but leave an hour earlier at 4:30.... do you think it will make much difference? Will I be able to get through the hectic traffic in time to beat the road closure? unlikely.

Walk to work!

Again, this only applies to a minority of people. Most people are simply unable to take this option through other commitments.... ie. transporting of children, distance of journey.

It all boils down to the simple fact.... this new road closure is destined to be a major failure. It is totally unrealistic to expect people to get around it, and totally unreasonable to expect people to find it 'as easy' as yourself to make those adjustments.

The government needs to back down from this poor planning.

I love how those people whose lifestyle / situation enables them to remain mostly unaffected by inconveniences like this are always so appalled that other people could possibly consider it a problem. For those people who are able to make changes to get around the problem - great! Good for you. However, please be mindful that not everyone is so fortunate.

This is a huge inconvenience to the majority of the population who use the roads. Most of these people are simply unable to find any other way of beating the system. Some have suggested, why not delay your journey home.... go to the pub, watch the practices, have a nap on the beach.... etc. but these people ignore the fact that whilst that may be an option for some (very few), it is simply not an option for the majority.

People love to bring up the simple solutions:

Car sharing! Oh there are too many cars with single occupants!!! Why can't they go to work with their neighbours??! I think you'll find realistically, most people do not know their neighbours!! Secondly, they do not travel to the same place, or at the same time. My neighbour leaves on his motorbike every morning at 7:30am. I don't leave until 8:40am.

Adjust your work schedule! Work through lunch and leave early....

Most people simply cannot do this as they are required to be in the office/work place until the end of work hours. Secondly, leaving work 1 hour earlier is not going to cut it for most people! If I finish work at 5:30pm, but leave an hour earlier at 4:30.... do you think it will make much difference? Will I be able to get through the hectic traffic in time to beat the road closure? unlikely.

Walk to work!

Again, this only applies to a minority of people. Most people are simply unable to take this option through other commitments.... ie. transporting of children, distance of journey.

It all boils down to the simple fact.... this new road closure is destined to be a major failure. It is totally unrealistic to expect people to get around it, and totally unreasonable to expect people to find it 'as easy' as yourself to make those adjustments.

Well you should know the answer by now. GET THE BOAT IN THE MORNING :(

I wouldn't say we're appalled, that's a little strongly worded, but I suppose you have half a point. I was thinking about this earlier and I would probably have a completely different opinion if it were to affect me. However, I don't, so I'm going to sit and listen to everyone else moan for the next 7 weeks and say nothing! At the risk of repeating myself, it's only for a short while.

To be honest, I think they will end up backing down. The opposition to it seems too much for them to see it through. I'm sure they'll come up with some way or other to fit the extra practises in elsewhere. And then there'll be a new hair-brained alternative for a whole different set of people to complain about. You can't please everyone.

I have a couple of suggestions re getting people home more easily and safely around the practices:

1. As others have suggested - a morning practice or two. With the roads open by 7. That seems like a good compromise.

2. Enforce a 45 mph speed limit on the whole course and no over taking for the duration of the races. Except over the mountain. With cameras and on the spot fines etc. This will go some way to prevent the bikers clogging up the roads outside of the racing and generally making things dangerous. Normally, almost invariably, they end up crashing and then the roads get shut for ages. And they slow down the flow of the traffic with their often dangerous overtaking and cutting in and out of the traffic. It was particularly bad last year with the yob element etc.

Early morning practices are a non starter because some of the riders like a pint or two, and tend to fall off as still under the influence. Also, if you consider that they can't get evening practices started on time due to lack of marshals, it may be difficult to get enough coverage for am practices.

Early morning practices are a non starter because some of the riders like a pint or two, and tend to fall off as still under the influence. Also, if you consider that they can't get evening practices started on time due to lack of marshals, it may be difficult to get enough coverage for am practices.

Why is there a shortage of marshals?

well there may not be a shortage overall but there is a shortage at certain points

you will always have lots or more near population centres or pubs or popular vantage points - few want to stand on the mountain however or somewhere with limited parking

Archived