[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

well there may not be a shortage overall but there is a shortage at certain points

you will always have lots or more near population centres or pubs or popular vantage points - few want to stand on the mountain however or somewhere with limited parking

any ideas for how that could be improved ?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, if you consider that they can't get evening practices started on time due to lack of marshals, it may be difficult to get enough coverage for am practices.

Well, if the people who profess to love this event so much can't be arsed to help it happen, does it have a future?

This event is a great annoyance to a growing number of the Manx population. I think the TT has less than 10 years to go before it is finished if decisions like this are continually made. You cannot run an event which relies on local support when you continually take the p*ss with the organising and road closures. :angry:

Sheer value of global media coverage - only a guess but I think what we're likely to get free (if the PR is done properly) would cost millions in traditional above the line advertising.

And what, exactly, are we advertising? That we can stage a bike race on our roads? The exorbitant cost of travelling to and from the island? The lack of decent tourist accommodation on the island. The high price of fuel? White list status? That we make rip-off Britain look like a consumer paradise? There is f**k all to advertise.

This event is a great annoyance to a growing number of the Manx population. I think the TT has less than 10 years to go before it is finished if decisions like this are continually made. You cannot run an event which relies on local support when you continually take the p*ss with the organising and road closures. :angry:

The TT has had fewer than 10 years left for as long as I can remember. And yet it still keeps on going.

well there may not be a shortage overall but there is a shortage at certain points

you will always have lots or more near population centres or pubs or popular vantage points - few want to stand on the mountain however or somewhere with limited parking

any ideas for how that could be improved ?

I'm fresh out

at the end of the day it is a volunteer service so you cannot force people to move points and i think paying people would be a massive negative step - as then it becomes a lot more complex and expensive

maybe incentivise the quiet spots with free drink vouchers or extra facilities or something

The TT has had fewer than 10 years left for as long as I can remember. And yet it still keeps on going.

I think the TT will see most of us on here out at least. I agree about pissing people off though, daft decision. Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing - when marshals, first aiders etc. should have been consulted about the earlier start etc. and will end up forcing the 'decision' to be reversed. Just shows a complete lack of commonsense to me by some of the organisers - firing off before thinking things through, and causing confusion all round. Someone needs their arse kicking IMO.

How many of you have actually tried driving across London during rush hour? It makes the TT access road seem like heaven, and that is EVERY day. Alternatively, try driving from St. Stephens Green to Dublin Airport at 5:30PM, any day! The local people who live here have no idea, the come overs should know better!

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that a lot (if not all) of the comeovers do indeed know better. That's why they live here, and not in London or other big UK cities any more.

I'm afraid they don't want the Island to be as bad as the West End, however briefly.

And the argument that you'd be worse off somewhere else for whatever reason simply doesn't work in any circumstances for any line of reasoning, any more than that old "boat in the morning" bollox.

It is a shame that the Island is filling up with people who want to turn us into another quiet shire of England. If they lived near Old Trafford or Anfield they would want that stopped.

Always lived here (I'm one of those rare ones with both sets of Manx Grandparents).

As I've got older I've realised what a pain in the ass the TT has always been for people who are not bikers or don't enjoy the TT at all. Everyone has a right to moan about the road closures as do the the pro-TT people but there doesn't appear to have been such a huge negative response in previous years as there has been this year because of what seems to have been 1 man's idea.

Living near Anfield sounds like a nice option. I'm sure it wouldn't take as long to get home....

Up to the usual BBC standard I see........isn't the assistant chairman a gentleman called Terry Holmes??

"It will be the marshals that get it in the neck," said John Holmes, assistant chairman of the marshals association.

Archived