[BBC News] Longer road closures for TT race

Newsbot

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you noticed that as all and sundry pronounce the plan as a crock of shit that the mastermind behind it has gone awfully quiet?

No plan B then?

My real gripe as a dyed in the wool supporter, is that I now hear that after realising that I am going to have to take two and a half days holidav or take unpaid leave to be on station for this, as an official, civil servants are getting an extra half day each day, paid holiday to do the same thing!!! You and I are paying them for this!!!!!!!

my experience of the TT and MGP regulations are to qualify for any race you must complete 5 laps 2 of which have to be within qualifcation speed, then once you have done that you have to then complete 2 laps on every bike you intend to ride one of which is at qualifying speed.

therefore any [combustion engined] TT competitor in order to qualify his / her superbike 1000, superstock 1000 or supersport 600 bike will need to do in the region of 6 laps and be good to go for all his races. then all that would be required is for the same competitor to do 2 laps on his battery powered TTxGP bike.

So for Mr regular TT rider the TTxGP qualification is easy as he has already qualified himself all he needs to do is qualify the bike and 4 full sessions is overkill for just one class and the extra sessions are unnesscery when there is practice in race week after each race.

The whole thing becomes much trickier if MGP competitors are allowed to ride in the TTxGP as they wont have other bikes they cant qualify themselves with so they need to do 5 laps on there TTxGP bikes which is a pretty tall order considering a TT rider can qualify and race the TTxGP by only doing 3 laps in total !

So the solution is dont allow MGP competitors in the TTxGP but now we are so close its nigh on impossible to replace the riders and abit unfair on them too. alternatively the ACU will have reduce the qualifying laps required for the MGP competitors or say the whole thing isnt a race and its a parade but that kinda defeats the object.

so my theory in a nutshell is: When they wrote the regs and allowed MGP competitors to ride in the event they didnt think about qualification and its only just dawned on them now hence we are in this mess! :rolleyes:

my theory in a nutshell is: When they wrote the regs and allowed MGP competitors to ride in the event they didnt think about qualification and its only just dawned on them now hence we are in this mess! :rolleyes:

'Nail on the head.

all it needs is enough marshalls to refuse to take the extra time off work and it won't happen, no doubt threats of same have already been uttered. i would also guess a good look at suitable 'compensation' to employers have been thought about.

all it needs is enough marshalls to refuse to take the extra time off work and it won't happen, no doubt threats of same have already been uttered. i would also guess a good look at suitable 'compensation' to employers have been thought about.

All it needs is enough Marshals to be UNABLE to get another chunk of time of work...

Early morning practices are a non starter because some of the riders like a pint or two, and tend to fall off as still under the influence. Also, if you consider that they can't get evening practices started on time due to lack of marshals, it may be difficult to get enough coverage for am practices.

If needs dictated, 500 plus marshalls could be arsed to get up at Sparrowfart and make the effort; then perhaps it would be nice if 'some riders' would reconsider their drinking schedule.

Having put up with Morning pactice for too many sessions, I'd not ever want to go back to it. Sorry, but it costs me a weeks holiday and I have a family to consider too.

The problem is the convoy going up would set of at 4:30pm, and there is a large number of marshals, myself included who would struggle to make that. All in all, a very daft plan.

Having put up with Morning pactice for too many sessions, I'd not ever want to go back to it. Sorry, but it costs me a weeks holiday and I have a family to consider too.

The problem is the convoy going up would set of at 4:30pm, and there is a large number of marshals, myself included who would struggle to make that. All in all, a very daft plan.

But as we're always being told - it's only for a few days each year.......

And as I posted earlier, if the people who profess to love this event so much can't be arsed to help it run, does it have a future?

Archived