New Nuclear Power Stations

TomTucker

The 11 spots in England and Wales named this morning as the likely sites of new nuclear power stations all have historic links to the nuclear industry, it has emerged.

Nine of the locations identified by the Government have previously been home to nuclear reactors, while the remaining two are close to the former Sellafield reactor site in Cumbria.

The list consists of Dungeness in Kent; Sizewell in Suffolk; Hartlepool in Cleveland; Heysham in Lancashire; Wylfa Peninsula in Anglesey; Oldbury in Gloucestershire; Hinkley Point in Somerset; Bradwell in Essex; and Sellafield, Braystones and Kirksanton in Cumbria.

source:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle6096306.ece

oh dear that's 4-6 nuclear powerstations surrounding the island, i am all for green technology and green collar jobs but then again im not sure i really want my family or future generations to contract leukaemia or eat glowing loughtans.

The 11 spots in England and Wales named this morning as the likely sites of new nuclear power stations all have historic links to the nuclear industry, it has emerged.

Nine of the locations identified by the Government have previously been home to nuclear reactors, while the remaining two are close to the former Sellafield reactor site in Cumbria.

The list consists of Dungeness in Kent; Sizewell in Suffolk; Hartlepool in Cleveland; Heysham in Lancashire; Wylfa Peninsula in Anglesey; Oldbury in Gloucestershire; Hinkley Point in Somerset; Bradwell in Essex; and Sellafield, Braystones and Kirksanton in Cumbria.

source:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle6096306.ece

oh dear that's 4-6 nuclear powerstations surrounding the island, i am all for green technology and green collar jobs but then again im not sure i really want my family or future generations to contract leukaemia or eat glowing loughtans.

Yes because we have such a problem with both of those at the minute, these new cleaner power stations are bound to make the problem infintly worse.

A power station is a very different beast from a re-processing plant especially one set up for arms industry - the French have used nuclear power stations for some time - I havn't yet seen two headed frogs - it is the tree-hugging brigade antics over the last decade that will in the next few years see the UK (and the Island) have significant problems in energy supply.

so i guess noone you know has ever died of or suffered with cancer then?

well the NIMBY factor is an issue for large industrial development, from airports to oil refineries but 6 nuclear power stations within 100 miles is a pretty scary prospect, i am sure the new plants are much cleaner and higher tech than the old reactors at sellafield and sizewell etc but they will still be built from parts by the lowest bidder and run by an inexperienced local work force.

yes - usually from cigarettes - burning fossil fuels causes pollution - apart from a very few involved with nuclear arms (or deliberately exposed to fall out as in the 1950's) you would be hard to find examples - Chernoybyl was a stupid experiment that turned off all safety measures, the three mile island incident which seems to have affected no one was also a case of humans overriding many safety mechanisms. Burning coal causes many more deaths.

well the NIMBY factor is an issue for large industrial development, from airports to oil refineries but 6 nuclear power stations within 100 miles is a pretty scary prospect, i am sure the new plants are much cleaner and higher tech than the old reactors at sellafield and sizewell etc but they will still be built from parts by the lowest bidder and run by an inexperienced local work force.

Well thats a pretty patronizing view considering the proposed sites are on sites with current reactors I doubt the local work force will be inexperianced.

The reactors will be built buy the people who are able to offer the services that are required, for the most reasonable price. Not the lowest bidder regardless of experiance.

Do you drive? Do you burn gas for heating?

excuse me ladys but i was responding to scarbunnys statement that cancer isnt an issue in the isle of man

Yes because we have such a problem with both of those at the minute, these new cleaner power stations are bound to make the problem infintly worse.

clearly everyone knows someone who has died from cancer and there is a clear health risk from fallout and pollution from nuclear power plants just as there is from incinerators.

I posted this info because i thought people would be interested, not because i wanted an infantile argument about what is essentially a moot point. :rolleyes:

excuse me ladys but i was responding to scarbunnys statement that cancer isnt an issue in the isle of man

You're trying to make some ignorant scare story about nuclear reactors as far as I can tell. Cancer from nuclear reactors, as far as I'm aware, isn't an issue on the Isle of Man.

clearly everyone knows someone who has died from cancer and there is a clear health risk from fallout and pollution from nuclear power plants just as there is from incinerators.

I posted this info because i thought people would be interested, not because i wanted an infantile argument about what is essentially a moot point. :rolleyes:

I think your refferance to not wanting to eat "glowing loughtans" placed you in line for "infantile" debate.

Sure everyone knows some one who has had cancer but your implying leukaemia case would increase if these were built.

Also replacing the aging reactors already present on these site will actually reduce the amount of "fallout" as you so emotivly put it, surely this is a good thing?

[sorry for any spelling issues Im still getting use to my new keyboard]

They will be built by the French.

Archived