[BBC News] Island wind farm 'a viable plan'

Newsbot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A wind farm on the Isle of Man is a real possibility to reduce carbon emissions according to a government report.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8003996.stm

Or would be, without the 'nimby' factor.

I have a potential solution to the nimby issue. I have heard of something comparable done somewhere else. Basically the state electricity company would pay a bucket full of cash to the parish for the privilege of installing and operating the turbines and the cash would be ring fenced as substantial and significant rates reductions over many years. There would need to be new legislation to make it viable.

Waving money at people is a great way of negating their objections.

Surely wave/tidal power generation would make the most sense here.

Far less environmental damage.

Expensive to maintain. But ideally you'd have both!

Agreed. There's little point in trying to replace one source of generation (eye-wateringly expensive gas that loaded every manx household with excessive debt) with another source of generation (wind) if it can't be relied on to the extent that you have to maintain both with the excessive associated costs. Why Proffitt and his merry men took a carbon route when the rest of the civilised world were looking at renewables is a mystery matched only by their excessive expenses claims.

Tidal is 100% reliable as the moon is not expected to fall out of the sky anytime soon. Surely that's the first direction to take?

The size of the windmill determines the number needed to produce the required amount of energy.

!

Blimey - I would never have realised that. You learn something new every day. Mind you looking at the shape of the trees here I'd have never guessed we had enough wind to power turbines! That's why you need Government commissioned reports.

I vote for tidal and wave power too and next for something offshore which seems to be the way island-based wind power is going these days - but will someone be getting paid for having these things on their property???? Nice little earner which would not apply if they were offshore ('scuse the cynical view)

Edit: PS - I think there is a nice bit of flat, windy and almost unoccupied land at Langness if they really have to be onshore.

We need to consult Mike Proffit he is a visionary with these types of thing.

Correction:

We need to consult Mike. He's a visionary making profit with these type of things.

P: We need more money, what do you reckon if we ask the Government for another £100k.

C: Higher, this lot will sign over £100k no problem.

P: Well, actually, I was thinking more like £1,000,000.

C: They're all stupid thick as fuck fuckwits, [although actually C doesn't use profanity in his business advisory capacity] the sky's the limit.

P: er . . . . . TWO £million ??????

C: [takes another sip of his finest scotch and raises his eyes] . . . . .

P: £100 million ??????????????

C: [raises eyebrows and puts on his best poker face]

And so we have all those 'hundreds of millions of pounds' (say that phrase again to yourself . . . . ) gone.

Gone....

. . . . Gone where?

Archived