New Buses?

cassettiespagetie

Exciting passenger eye views ( lower deck )

Number 13 to Laxey

(Bus number 63)

Note TV screen displays rotating CCTV pictures of interior views.

4 bell ringers on R/H posts. ( Bell note is shriller than old type )

Seats much harder.

Driver says comfortable to drive but seems to lack power.

Those of you who wish to read more about my exciting glimpse into the future of Manx public transport may care to buy next months issue of Sad Bastards Monthly ( incorporating Anorak and Flask weekly )

post-4809-1240565232_thumb.jpg

post-4809-1240565247_thumb.jpg

I wonder if they have the Voith Three speed automatic Transmission or the Voith Diwa D854.3 4 speed automatic.

Interesting to note also that the Alexander Dennis Dart SLF/Alexander Dennis Pointer 2 combination was replaced during 2006 by the Alexander Dennis Enviro200Dart - something not everyone knows...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they have the Voith Three speed automatic Transmission or the Voith Diwa D854.3 4 speed automatic.

Interesting to note also that the Alexander Dennis Dart SLF/Alexander Dennis Pointer 2 combination was replaced during 2006 by the Alexander Dennis Enviro200Dart - something not everyone knows...

4197-m.jpg

:D

Anyone get any numbers. I'd be interested in any other people who like to spot buses too?

As no-one seems to have covered the answer to this: (From http://www.mers.org.im/iomtfleetlist18.htm )

Lots of them out and about now....

60-70

Chassis (low-floor layout): Volvo B9TL built 2009

Chassis numbers: 132846-49/04-07/27-29

Body: Wrights Eclipse Gemini 2 H71F

New to Isle of Man Department of Tourism & Leisure (with 'bus vannin' logos)

60 - JMN 46R 63 - JMN 49R 66 - JMN 52R 69 - JMN 55R

61- JMN 47R 64 - JMN 50R 67 - JMN 53R 70 - JMN 56R

62 - JMN 48R 65 - JMN 51R 68 - JMN 54R

I wonder if the powers have ever considered the minibus [dolmus] type system used thru the Med. Owner drivers licensed by local councils, run as co-operatives who can issue contract passes to designated areas. Peak times running as fill and go, other times by timetable to suit the area. School transport licences issued to owner drivers for designated areas.

Great mercedes/ VW buses seating 16 + seems to be a cheap and effective transport system.

It is worth noting that this system adds to the public purse, not costing it.

It would be intresting to know why there is no single deckers anymore?

They must be cheaper to run especially in rural areas and quiter route times?

and the MPG must be a lot more with a single decker ?

You'd still need the Double Deckers at peak times - for commuter journeys into town for 9am and the school runs. I imagine the alternative would be for the driver to return to base, switch to the smaller bus, use that till 3pm and switch back. Same later in the evening, it might look daft that the 8pm bus is a half full Double Decker, but the same bus was full on the 5pm run and will be again at 11pm.

In an ideal world I'd have double deckers doing limited stop services between Port Erin / Castletown, Peel and Ramsey and Douglas. With little mini buses doing regional services around the estates and outlying villages.

It would be intresting to know why there is no single deckers anymore?

They must be cheaper to run especially in rural areas and quiter route times?

and the MPG must be a lot more with a single decker ?

The biggest cost by far is drivers, and as Declan says you still need double deckers to cover the routes at peak times so why bother having a larger fleet just to save on gallons per mile during the quiet times?

Archived