Uk Budget

Lee54

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expect the local halfwit politicians to trot out the following line, "It's appears to be a pretty neutral budget for the Isle of Man, but the devil's in the detail...we will have to wait a few days to study the small print".

Same shite, every year.

I would imagine that the more new taxes they create, and the more they put existing taxes up the more appealing it becomes to move to the Isle of Man, but then again I'm not a scaremongering simpleton.

I'm with you, he has to at least plan to raise taxes on the rich to pay for the public debt, and that's good for the island. Vat's going to have to go back up sometime too, also good for us.

Quite possible Ed.

I read a few weeks ago somewhere that one consequence of the bank support from UK gov would be not only imposition of financial policies/requirements but also using them for political purposes/ends.

Both of which might impact offshore.

There's an election next year at the latest, so I predict a BS budget. Lots of BS about how much they reckon they will save by 'efficiencies' (and NuShites record is abominable on that score), BS about tackling offshores and tax dodgers (which probably will only amount to a few individuals in reality), BS money for electric cars and other green BS that doesn't make a real difference in the real economy. Plus lots of donkey/carrot announcements - delays in NI increases and maybe even a surprise tax cut for the lower paid (traditional labour voters) - but VAT back up as fast as he can. I'd be surprised if he dare touch beer and fags in this budget.

The bottom line is the UK and NuShite are stuffed - and no matter how much wriggling Darling does, today NuShite will be seen to have wrecked the economy, put the UK into massive debt, and set themselves up for political oblivion again for at least 10 years. Darling will remain convinced that the recession will end by the end of the year, but IMO he's still piddling (away money) while the UK burns.

Personally, I don't think there will be much of an impact on companies using offshore facilities - if any. He could lose a lot of income if many of them decided to relocate to avoid some of the monstrous taxes NuShite charge businesses and faced them with more restrictions. Anymore taxes would be the straw that broke the camels back for many - and off elsewhere many would jolly well trot.

Each year there's always a good shindig on Athol Street during the UK budget. I think this year it will be well attended as the Island might even get our very own mention (although actually I doubt it).

It wasn't that long ago the antics of an MHK at one of these parties made the front page of the paper. There were lawyers threatening writs left right and centre.

Archived