Rfid & Tesco

Mission

Just seen this on Newsnight.

Apparently, Tesco are pushing this technology and are currently trialling it in two of their stores, possibly extending the trial to 10 stores.

It's causing a bit of controversy though due to the possible consumer privacy implications.

Tesco are now the world's third largest retailer and £1 in every £8 spent at the tills goes to Tesco! I found that second figure quite astounding.

This is all new stuff to me so I'm not sure whether it's good or bad but I've done a quick Google to find some links on the subject:-

Link 1

Link 2

Any thoughts?

I was reading an article in one of the Sunday magazines about 'smart' white goods, and perhaps this is a step in that driection.

Fridges are now on sale (costing about £80k or something ridiculous - the Beckhams have one) that read the bar codes / radio codes on products, and inform the supermarket when you have run out of certain items. They are also developing cookers that can read cooking instructions from the codes so that you just bung in your ready meal and off it goes - cooked to perfection. They even mentioned washing machines that can read the tags on clothes so that they set themselves for wash loads, and warn you if you have incompatible items for washing in the same load.

They said that with these new codes, the appliances in your kitchen would scan items as soon as you bring them into the house. I'm sure we'd all say that seems silly and how lazy to have things like that now, but when TV remotes first came out, how many people said - why bother when you can get up and switch the set over yourself? Nowadays, every house has a TV remote. Is this where the future is heading - a self sufficient house?

Now if they developed a vacuum cleaner that would hoover the house for you, I'd like that :)

There's a bar in Glasgow - called "Bar Soba" iirc (there was an article about it in one of the papers last week) - that implants a small chip into the arm of regulars. When these regulars enter the bar a device reads the chip in their arm and informs the bar staff that Joe Bloggs has entered the building. They can prepare his favourite drink before he makes it to the bar, and his credit card is charged.

the punters are happy but poor old Joe's in serious debt as a result

I was reading an article in one of the Sunday magazines about 'smart' white goods, and perhaps this is a step in that driection.

Fridges are now on sale (costing about £80k or something ridiculous - the Beckhams have one) that read the bar codes / radio codes on products, and inform the supermarket when you have run out of certain items.  They are also developing cookers that can read cooking instructions from the codes so that you just bung in your ready meal and off it goes - cooked to perfection.  They even mentioned washing machines that can read the tags on clothes so that they set themselves for wash loads, and warn you if you have incompatible items for washing in the same load.

They said that with these new codes, the appliances in your kitchen would scan items as soon as you bring them into the house.  I'm sure we'd all say that seems silly and how lazy to have things like that now, but when TV remotes first came out, how many people said - why bother when you can get up and switch the set over yourself?  Nowadays, every house has a TV remote.  Is this where the future is heading - a self sufficient house?

Now if they developed a vacuum cleaner that would hoover the house for you, I'd like that  :)

ROBOVAC: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000280026862/

I've got a home PC that's way more powerful than the first lunar mission technology. I've got a phone in my pocket which takes pictures and reminds me of things. I can send a message to someone instantly to almost anywhere in the world.

But I still have to do my own IRONING!!

Is that IRONy?! :P

Whilst it can be annoying, ugly and destructive graffiti can sometimes be funny or artistic.

My favourite, whilst not new or original is one seen on a condom machine

"INSERT BABY FOR REFUND"

I've got a home PC that's way more powerful than the first lunar mission technology. I've got a phone in my pocket which takes pictures and reminds me of things. I can send a message to someone instantly to almost anywhere in the world.

But I still have to do my own IRONING!!

Is that IRONy?! :P

You need this!!

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_68901...s+news.quirkies

I'm really not into the idea of walking around town, and having my movements "tracked " because of RFID transmitters in my clothes, shoes and in the items I may have bought.

What happens if you buy a pair of shoes at a certain store, and the scanner at another store picks it up as a purchase? - Will you be busted for shoplifting?

I can see some uses of the technology, but it seems totally over the top for retail goods, what's wrong with the current bar codes system? - Maybe it's a drive to totally get rid of sales / checkout / warehouse staff.

Seriously dodgy "big-brother" stuff at work here!

Simon, - I'm thinking about it in terms of an issue as a serious invasion of privacy, sure there will be plenty of benefits (especially for the manufacturers of this technology), but it does have IMHO very serious privacy issues.

If it is used for (as in the case of the above mentioned Glasgow bar) as a preferred means of credit, then hard currency may end up being totally phased out (I much prefer having cash in my pocket, so I know how much I have available to actually spend).

Wherever you go, information will be readily available at the various "scanners" of who you are, exactly where you are, what you're wearing, where you've bought what you wear, what you eat, where you buy what you eat, - everything you buy, etc.

You'll probably also end up getting heaps of junk mail trying to target you on the basis of what you buy.

I would personally much, much prefer having to wait in a supermarket queue than have potentially no privacy at all.

Not sayng any of this will happen, but RFID makes it very, very easy for the above scenario possible!!

Whilst I'm looking forward to self scanning - I also agree with you Matty.

But I don't believe that people will be chipped and (without looking it up) I very much doubt the Glasgow Pub Scenario. It sounds hugely unlikely and, IMO, would have made a much bigger stir internationally, if it was really true.

I'm prepared to be wrong about that.

Glasgow Pub article

Just ran a quick google on RFID + Civil Liberties:-

http://computercops.biz/article-5438-nested-0-0.html

http://www.spychips.com/metro_stops_rfid.htm

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/924/1/1/

Whilst I'm not against it's use for packaging (returnable palletes / airline baggage etc) - I think it would be essential to have some sort of legal framework in place before this technology is put to everyday use.

I'm looking forward to self scanning

Do you mean when you place an item in the trolley, it's automatically scanned and added to your bill, or a self service checkout, where you do the scanning and payment yourself.

If you mean the latter, you won't have to wait long.

A while back, one supermarket looked into this technology, but found that the new till system they'd invested in was incompatible with the market leading self-checkout solution.

You will , however, see self-checkout on the Isle of Man before the end of Q1 :)

Shop technology is fascinating :)

Shoprite could learn a thing or two from Tescos. My top 3 (which relate to technology) would be:

1. Stop waiting for me to hand over my loyalty card. It's annoying. And don't charge me a higher price because I haven't got a card.

2. Show the price per unit weight or volume of all food items.

3. Go with the metric system, as taught in schools. I can't picture stones or furlongs.

Slightly OT/ .... I'm looking forward to self scanning supermarket trollies. IE no more queues.

Safeway (as was) and Waitrose have self-scanning in the UK.

(As Shoprite sells so much Waitrose food, I keep hoping that Waitrose will one day take them over. Although I'm not sure what the average Manx palate would make of their posh nosh).

M&S have started self-checkout tills. Similar to normal checkouts - you have to queue, unload your trolley and pack your bags except you do the checkout person job too. Not much of an improved shopping experience, but handy at lunchtime for the obligatory M&S sarnies, drink and a packet of crisps.

Archived