Gaming Headphones

Virtual_Boy

Read all the reviews, just wanted some real world experience maybe over a few months.

The reviews for my Barracudas were pretty good at the time but they never really lived up to their £200 price tag.

Its either the headphones or a PS3 and I'm pretty sure the headphones will get a hell of a lot more use for £50 (more like £100 with games and stuff) less.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found mine fantastic for the month or so I had them. Comfy, great sound, not too much bass a vast improvement over having the TV cranked right up. Only downside was the amount of cables, however if you get the battery pack for the Mixamp you lose one of them anyways, just means every few day's you have to plug re charge it, I do this via the USB on the 360 when I go to bed as the 360 will still charge it even when not turned on.

Being the tart I am though I sold the headphones on (kept the Mixamp) and bought a set of open back ATH-AD700's and did a mic mod, just so I could get a better overall sound stage. They're a damn site noisier if someone is sat in the same room as you and have less Bass but again are belting for locating scumbag nuke boosters and crate drops due to being easily able to locate them by sound only.....

Have a read though the link below, loads of info there on the Astros, combinations and other sets that people have tried out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360/1203720-decent-headphones-xbox-360-part-5-a.html

The mixamp is a must and then you just need to choose your cans, I went for the A40's for convenience but like OD you could go for a dedicated headphone.

Just so you know the mixamp currently sold by the UK stockists is the older model and isnt PS3 compatible out of the box (incase you get one eventually) also Astro have just released the A30 headset which is more portable and is designed to be used on the move with MP3 players and mobile phones aswell as the mixamp.

The mixamp is a must and then you just need to choose your cans, I went for the A40's for convenience but like OD you could go for a dedicated headphone.

Just so you know the mixamp currently sold by the UK stockists is the older model and isnt PS3 compatible out of the box (incase you get one eventually) also Astro have just released the A30 headset which is more portable and is designed to be used on the move with MP3 players and mobile phones aswell as the mixamp.

I was looking at the a30's as they're cross compatible with eggbox and ps3. The only problem i've got with x1's is that if I want to chat on the ps3 whilst wearing them I have to hook the wireless headset to my collar and have speach coming out of the cans...

I was looking at the a30's as they're cross compatible with eggbox and ps3. The only problem i've got with x1's is that if I want to chat on the ps3 whilst wearing them I have to hook the wireless headset to my collar and have speach coming out of the cans...

Any console connectivity comes via the amp and not the headset itself, you can use the older amp with both the xbox and ps3 but you will only get voice comms on the ps3 with a seperate adaptor.

EDIT: You can add ps3 voice comms to the x1's with a USB sound card.

The A30s are nice, but for the extra $20(£15?) I think I would go with the A40s they look more comfortable for long term gaming.

The X41s look quiet good but don't look as versatile. But is the versatility with £50? Or maybe the Tritton AX PRO?

To much choice, not enough option to try before you buy.

Just read some reviews of the Trittons and they all seem to have a negativity that reviews of the x41s and the A40s don't seem to have.

Although just read an interesting comparison on the MLG forum, the review was not kind to the astro head phones but really rated the mix amp. The suggestion is to use the mixamp with a pair of Turtlebeach HPX1s

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Admittedly I've only scan-read this post, but it appears to be more X Box orientated.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a PS3 headset. Ideally it would be...

Surround sound (at least virtual)

Wireless

Reasonably Compact

Have a detachable/concealable mic

I have found these features on separate headsets, but not on one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers.

There is nothing currently available which is wireless, surround sound and PS3 chat compatible, however once the Turtle beach x41 PS3 adaptor (Amigo II & chat cable) becomes available (mid september) that will change.

The problem with this is that the headphones then become wired (13.5 ft) to the PS3 which completely defeats to object! lol

And if you're going to splash out on X41's with the 'wired' adapter then you may aswell take a look at the Astro Mixamp. I'm very very happy with mine and since I last posted in this topic I've now paired it up a set of Senneiser PC360's which absolutely rock.

Archived