Gaming Headphones

Virtual_Boy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, after some research I pretty much came to the same conclusion i.e. the way that the PS3 handles voice chat probably makes it cost prohibitive for manufacturers to do wireless sound and chat. Albeit not impossible.

So after accepting that I’ll be plugged in it came down to three makers...

Turtle Beach – Don’t really like the look of those tho...

Astros or Trittons.

So I started wanting something reasonably compact, so A30’s. But then there is the ‘on ear’ compromise. That then means A40’s. But is that then a ‘true’ 5.1 compromise which would lead you to the Tritton AX Pro’s. Which are HUGE (and you can’t seem to buy them anywhere).

Confused.com

Need to check out the Senneiser’s now too....

Help! Any recommendations on the above?

I've just been through the same thought process, my conclusion was to buy the Astro Mixamp and the Turtle Beach HPX-1s. But Lime never had them both in stock at the same time so I gave up.

Just living with TV speakers for console play and my older audiophile headphones for PC play and I never talk over comms anyway so no need for a mic for me, plus I have given up most online stuff for now, although getting into WoW I might need a mic later.

Definitely worth taking a look at the PC360's from Senn. They're like a cross between the two previous headphones I've owned, Astro A40 and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (with mic mod) so I've got the nice fit of the Astro's with the open back sound of the AD700's, albeit not lacking in the bass department as much.

Also, if anyone's after a set of AD700's with the mic mod for their mixamp give me a shout, I've still got mine - £70 if you want them.

Just to add, after re-reading the above, the Senn's are more compact than the A40's if size is an issue.

Sennheisers look nice, but still leaning towards the Trittons and Astros as I like the idea that you can remove the mic boom and use them just as headphones.

I think if you could actually buy the Trittons, I’d have done that already purely on the 4 drivers per cup deal. But still can’t get over the fact they are almost as large as the helmets from Starship Troopers...

So I’m lead back to the Astros. Again not sure if the A40’s are a bit on the large side or if they present any significant benefits over the A30’s other than comfort due to being ‘over ear’.

Hmmm.

Over ear is very comfy for extended lengths of play, certainly didn't have an issue with comfort on my old A40's or any of the other headphones I've got (all over ear). Are you planning on wearing them outside of the house hence needing them to be not so bulky? If not and a detachable mic is a must then the A40's sound like your best bet.

I'd still champion the PC360's though if they're solely to be used in the house, they're sleeker than the A40's, open backed and the mic flips up nicely and is very much out of the way for watching movies & listening to muscic.

Mixamp + PC360's is a big wedge of cash though (£250)

If I were you id get a mixamp and take Overdose's AD700's off his hands, my second choice would be HPX-1's then A40's (which I have)

If you really want a multipurpose headset then the your pretty much limited the the A30's.

Have you considered the Sharkoon X-Tatic v3?

Cheers VB and all for the advice...

VB - I agree that the Mixamp + PC360's is a wedge, and I like the HPX but them and the Mixamp adds up to more than an A40 bundle...(plus the HPX don't seem to be readily available)

So I think I have a conclusion..

Not stumped up yet so if you have an objection...

But, hey, if I land the mixamp then it will give me options for the future.

I can't speak from an Xbox 360 point of view, but i had a pair of the Razer 5.1 headphones on the PC which cost me around £140. My recent £50 Goldring NS1000 (from play.com) absolutely blew them away sound quality wise. The 5.1 was a waste of time, and most "hardcore" gamers say stick to using a stereo headset with Dolby Headphone enabled (again, on the PC of course). A proper pair of audiophile headphones (i.e Goldring, Sennheiser etc) will wipe the floor with any "gaming" ones. Of course, audiophile ones don't have a headset though so might not be any use to you!

The quality on these is unbelieveable for the price, and according to some reviews - can even equal some £200 headphones. The noise cancelling is superb, but no mic of course

Goldring NS1000

Agreed damaged, as I have said previously single larger drivers in stereo headphones/headsets in conjunction with Dolby headphone are far superior to headphones containing multiple smaller drivers in each earcup.

The Audio Technica AD700's are regarded among the best high end headphones for gaming when used with the mixamp, the mic mod is a pain though ( overdose's have already been done ;) ) a zalman clip-on is the other option.

At any rate you would not be disappointed with the A40's mate, they are fantastic!

The step up from your TV audio, stereo headphones or even home cinema system is huge you can't fail to be impressed, the improvements you would get from more expensive headphones are pretty small and unless you would also be using them for music/movies with high end audio equipment it would be a bit of overkill.

Your right mate the Sharkoon's are basically Tritton's, Ive tried the sharkoon's (v2's I think) but not the Tritton's so cant compare the two.

Headphones are very subjective and although I found the directional positioning almost identical to my Astro's (the rear cues on the sharkoon's seemed to come from behind and below) the soundstage seemed much larger with my A40's which is probably a combination of the open backed construction and the dolby headphone processing, I also found the voice comms on the Sharkoon's were drowned out during hectic MW2 battles (which is no good for me as I play for a clan) and prefered the overall sound of the A40's but this could be down to the many hours of use they've had to 'burn in'.

As far as the single vs multiple drivers debate you can find pleanty about it on google, the majority prefer single and I say I have to agree.

There is no improvement in directional audio (which is their main selling point) and you will always receive a better quality of sound from a single larger unit.

Archived