[BBC News] Tests on horse tram poop-scooper

Newsbot

It actually is too far from the horse. The tram driver, lord bless him, has to anticipate when the horse is about to drop its bowels by watching the twitching of its rectal muscles then try to move the tram forwards to catch the excreta before it (god forbid) hits the floor. :lol:

That's a great comment to post at dinner time.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it looks like it's too far away from the horse.

Ffs, this can't be for real - is MF's John Faragher going to virtually jump out in a minute and shout "AH HA, GOT YOU ALL THIS TIME!"?. Or are all councillors as dense as each other? And what's to test? They've been using such devices all over Europe for years. Or do Manx horses have an unusually positioned rectum?

It actually is too far from the horse. The tram driver, lord bless him, has to anticipate when the horse is about to drop its bowels by watching the twitching of its rectal muscles then try to move the tram forwards to catch the excreta before it (god forbid) hits the floor. :lol:

Just for the record i would like to point out the difference between our trams and those in europe - ours are not fixed to the horse - they are attached to the horse using leather traces. If you look at a horse and carriage (throughout europe etc) the horse is strapped to a fixed bar - therefore at all times the carriage is a fixed distance away from the horse.

IOM trams distance between horse and tram vary - this is the reason the trams have a break as opposed to driver just slowing the horse

here the driver must slow the horse and tram at the same time, ensuring that the the tram does not hit the horse, and that the horse does not try to pull away from the tram.

If you look on the video the driver is trying to show that in order for the horse shit to go in the nappy he / she needs the horse to be in just the right place.

Looks to me like a load of old rubbish £20k saving by having no road sweepers out? nonsense.

I am an ex trammer from days gone by so have a little insight, sorry if I make it sound too technical.

What a waste of time for members of Douglas Borough Council.

This is a corporation that's used to filtering shit on an industrial scale. Surely they could have come up with a better solution?

If you can think off a better solution, being the expert on horses that you so obviously are, please feel free to post it. As for me I just see it as a solution to a problem, it may not be the greatest solution, it may even sound stupid, but if it saves the ratepayer money and makes for a cleaner Douglas, then tell me what is wrong with it? As you are the Sultan of Shiit

Or do Manx horses have an unusually positioned rectum?

No its just Manx Counsillors that can't tell horses arses from elbows ....

I am more than willing to show you how i can make your elbow fit in your ass anytime. ohh and to be pedantic Councilor has a C not an S, also just a single l.

<_<

Yes, in the centre of any Douglas Councillor's face.

The road sweepers cost 20,000 on top of the annual costing, just to clean the tramways of the horse manure. The receptacles are designed to be attached to the tram and catch the manure as it comes out. But then again unlike the rest off you I am no expert. They may work or they may not, with out trying we will never know.

It is also not just the cost involved, in the process of cleaning the tramways the sweepers can often flick the manure into the gutters, thus creating other problems.

Just for the record i would like to point out the difference between our trams and those in europe - ours are not fixed to the horse - they are attached to the horse using leather traces. If you look at a horse and carriage (throughout europe etc) the horse is strapped to a fixed bar - therefore at all times the carriage is a fixed distance away from the horse.

IOM trams distance between horse and tram vary - this is the reason the trams have a break as opposed to driver just slowing the horse

Just for the record, the excrement receptacles that I have seen employed in various European residential areas are worn by the horse, and not fixed to the following vehicle. Ergo, the distance, whether variable or not, twixt beast of burden and aforementioned following towed vehicle is irrelevant to the effectiveness of aforementioned receptacles.

sorry if I make it sound too technical.

Are you a councillor as well?

What a waste of time for members of Douglas Borough Council.

This is a corporation that's used to filtering shit on an industrial scale. Surely they could have come up with a better solution?

If you can think off a better solution, being the expert on horses that you so obviously are, please feel free to post it. As for me I just see it as a solution to a problem, it may not be the greatest solution, it may even sound stupid, but if it saves the ratepayer money and makes for a cleaner Douglas, then tell me what is wrong with it? As you are the Sultan of Shiit

No its just Manx Counsillors that can't tell horses arses from elbows ....

I am more than willing to show you how i can make your elbow fit in your ass anytime. ohh and to be pedantic Councilor has a C not an S, also just a single l.

<_<

Yes, in the centre of any Douglas Councillor's face.

The road sweepers cost 20,000 on top of the annual costing, just to clean the tramways of the horse manure. The receptacles are designed to be attached to the tram and catch the manure as it comes out. But then again unlike the rest off you I am no expert. They may work or they may not, with out trying we will never know.

It is also not just the cost involved, in the process of cleaning the tramways the sweepers can often flick the manure into the gutters, thus creating other problems.

So who has the glorious job of emptying these horse shit bags? and is their wage not nearly the 20k it costs in roadsweepers?

ohh and to be pedantic Councilor has a C not an S, also just a single l.

Oh man...

Why don't they just give a shovell and a bin bag to the blloke who sits at the back of the tram? Would that be too simplle?

Your joking aren't you

Your joking aren't you

That should be

You're joking aren't you?
. What qualifications does one require to become a councillor nowadays?

Well I admit I only got a C at GCSE English.

But the qualifacations are about the same as it takes to be a member of the spelling police on a internet forum.

Archived