Work Permits

John

I have just found out that a young lady from Latvia has secured a role as a full time admin/clerical assistant at the hospital, it is via a recruitment agency and is "temporary" ie it will go on and on.

I just find it weird that there are no Isle of Man workers available to do the job and even more suprised that the permit was granted.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have just found out that a young lady from Latvia has secured a role as a full time admin/clerical assistant at the hospital, it is via a recruitment agency and is "temporary" ie it will go on and on.

I just find it weird that there are no Isle of Man workers available to do the job and even more suprised that the permit was granted.

Good luck to the yound girl - shows some initiative instead of just staying on a rock waiting for work to come to her.

Do away with work permits, that will solve the problem and about £400K a year on pointless admin (another made up fact from the house of Bees). More importantly the question you should be asking is "Why are the government using employment agencies when they have a massive HR department?" temps cost a fortune it would not be impossible for the Isle Of Man Government to have a 'pool of temps' like they used to in the olden days (1980's IIRC). Somewhere and somehow the government has gone mental, temps, contractors and more pen pushers than a Chinese writing factory, never mind worrying about a Latvian with a work permit, I am more concerned that the government are wasting money on temps.

Good luck to the yound girl - shows some initiative instead of just staying on a rock waiting for work to come to her.

Calm down - you know what happened to Norman Tebbit.

Its because to temp for the Govt you don't need the higher secretarial qualifications as you do if you want a full time position. They've been short staffed up there for ages and if Manx workers can't be arsed to get their higher secretarial qualifictions then good luck to her using her initiative and going in as a temp (perm or otherwise).

Fair enough points, but I am just sure there are Isle of Man workers able to do the role.

I'm pretty sure thereare loads who are *able* to do the role. Whether they are *willing* to do it for salary offered is another matter, I guess

I don't think it's cheap labour, just more reasonably priced labour. We had two quotes for installation and supply of air con equipment, one Manx, one UK, the UK one was 55% cheaper. For the exact same spec. What would you do?

I don't think it's cheap labour, just more reasonably priced labour. We had two quotes for installation and supply of air con equipment, one Manx, one UK, the UK one was 55% cheaper. For the exact same spec. What would you do?

the ppl in the uk are that short of work that there cutting rates a lot, just keeping the boys in work,

yep i be going for the 55% cheaper one if it was a gd company with the track record to go with it

Archived