Work Permits

John

How can you get from me moaning (as we all do on here) about a non "isle of Man worker" getting a work permit for a job, that i feel could have been filled by a "isle of Man Worker" (by that term i mean a person that does not need a Manx work permit) to me being racist.

I think that bit is self-explanatory to anyone who can read ....

You win, I hate anyone that is not from Peel, has 3 arms and can not trace their Manxness back 3000 generations.

You happy now?

You said you pressed your "ignore" button 15 minutes ago. Is it not working?

Sorry I can't hear you.............

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course, you are assuming that because she is Latvian, she is not an 'Isle of Man worker'.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Point taken. I should have clarified that I meant someone who didn't need a work permit but know if I called them "Manx" I'd be in trouble!

If you need a work permit, you are not an 'Isle of Man worker' - end of - which means other than for a few exempt occupations (not this one) if a work permit was required that person was neither:

• born on the Isle of Man
  • lived on the Isle of Man for at least 10 consecutive years
  • lived in the Isle of Man for at least 5 consecutive years and not lived elsewhere more than once in the following 15 years (Residence in the Isle of Man before 1963 does not count)
  • married to an Isle of Man worker
  • been married to an Isle of Man worker, have lived in the island for at least 3 years immediately before becoming widowed or divorced and continue to live in the island thereafter
  • child of an Isle of Man worker who was serving in the armed forces at the time of the birth
  • child of a parent who was born in the Isle of Man, provided that the parent lived in the island for their first 5 years
  • received full time education, either in the island or elsewhere, whilst normally living in the Isle of Man and continue to live in the island thereafter

any format which favours a candidate because of residential criteria rather than ensuring the best person gets the job ultimately leads to a seccond class system

We're talking secretaries here John ,not F***ing brain surgeons!

Do you seriously believe that there were no suitable local candidates that could have filled that position, especially with the economic slowdown !

Apart from that, I suppose as long as she's fit it's alright

I'm not overly concerned with the workers in this, but I do know of a few benefit seekers who're now claiming for births of their children having been on the island for a couple of months.

I know... I shouldn't have said it, but it seems that if you pop your baby on the IOM, then you're instantly entitled to all its benefits from the tax payers.

(Shouldn't have said it, shouldn't have said it.. Bad girl, should know better... :( )

They may get child benefit but not Income Support. You have to be resident for 5 years to get that (regardless of where you drop the sprog)

1. I hold 3 jobs, does that make you racist? But i really can't be arsed getting into a stupid pointless debate with you. so ignore button is pressed and I am off to my bed.

I hope that a spelling test is not mandatory for contract renewal on any of them? To be fair your comments are pretty appalling for someone who holds an elected position and you can't back out of what you said that easily.

2. I don't know John Faragher but like any private individual he has the right to express his opinion on a forum (is that not what is for) We all have a life outside work. Sppelling mistake? - big deal!.

There's always bleating about work permits ("they're racist" etc. etc.) from people who conveniently forget that Manx people who don't have a grandparent born in the UK don't have a right to live or work in the EU like other British Citizens. Protectionism is seemingly OK as long as it's not against you.

If you want to talk about a second-class system, how about denying someone rights based not on length of residency, criminal convictions or ability to do the job, but on the birthplace of their grandparents. If Grandma had been born on a weekend away in Liverpool, it would all be different ?

Realistically, as the Latvian example proves, the work permit places few obstacles in the way of getting the "right" candidate - at the same time it gives locals a level playing field against prejudice from some of the chinless wonders in the finance sector who think civilisation ends at Watford & are prepared to make appalling generalisations about Manx people as a whole (like some of the ones on this thread).

The work permit system also makes it difficult for some of the human sewage who'd be happy to come over here to sponge - those who have convictions for theft, violence, sexual offences, fraud and drugs find it a barrier to entry. That alone is probably a significant contributor to some of the quality of life over here.

I don't think it's cheap labour, just more reasonably priced labour. We had two quotes for installation and supply of air con equipment, one Manx, one UK, the UK one was 55% cheaper. For the exact same spec. What would you do?

The IOM Government engaged a UK contrator to construct a building who were £125k cheaper than a local contractor, within three years the Government were stuck with over a £1million worth of defects that the contractor wont return to rectify.

I don't think it's cheap labour, just more reasonably priced labour. We had two quotes for installation and supply of air con equipment, one Manx, one UK, the UK one was 55% cheaper. For the exact same spec. What would you do?

The IOM Government engaged a UK contrator to construct a building who were £125k cheaper than a local contractor, within three years the Government were stuck with over a £1million worth of defects that the contractor wont return to rectify.

Surely there must have been some sort of "guarantee" built into the contract a la NHBC one re residential buildings. I refuse to believe that there was not some kind of clause like this. Sounds like hearsay/gossip to me (not uncommon I'm sure you'll agree). I'm sure gov would have recourse to courts if contractors do not fulfill their obligations.

Surely there must have been some sort of "guarantee" built into the contract a la NHBC one re residential buildings. I refuse to believe that there was not some kind of clause like this. Sounds like hearsay/gossip to me (not uncommon I'm sure you'll agree). I'm sure gov would have recourse to courts if contractors do not fulfill their obligations.

The New Court House has not been rectified by the contractor and the retention on the contractor was only 1 year. As for an NHBC guarantee, its not worth the paper its wrote on.

I haven't checked and apologize for not looking, but does anyone know off-hand as to what the current unemployment rate is?

Secondly, does anyone know as to how many of the unemployed are unemployable and for what reasons?

Those who are employable, is there some person/party/group etc, who are actively seeking for them to be employed?

I'm in the inquiring mood tonight...

Archived