[BBC News] Teenager jailed for death crash

Newsbot

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming this was the lad's first offence, jailing him for so long seems kind of pointless to me. It's unlikely to have a deterrent effect for other youngsters. We create and promote a culture of speed and rebellion and then we're surprised that these things occur. I feel sorry for this kid.

We create and promote a culture of speed and rebellion and then we're surprised that these things occur. I feel sorry for this kid.

I don't think that's necessarily a major contributory factor. Young people have a sense of adventure and an innate sense of their immortality. They will always take risks and, from time to time, will endanger both themselves and others - it is part of their nature.

I agree that a long term jail sentence wouldn't achieve as much as a very long driving ban.

Assuming this was the lad's first offence, jailing him for so long seems kind of pointless to me. It's unlikely to have a deterrent effect for other youngsters. We create and promote a culture of speed and rebellion and then we're surprised that these things occur. I feel sorry for this kid.

It may have been his first offence but he did kill someone... You wouldn't think of letting a murderer off because it was his first offence.

The driver was reckless, irresponsible, and stupid (as teenagers are expected to be) but unfortunately he was also in charge of a vehicle and ended up killing his mate.

WTF? I have said it before and will reiterate for the 'hang em high' brigade. This young man has to live the rest of his life with the memory of the death of a friend on his conscience, is that not punishment enough?

@ Vulgarian, He killed someone? Do you suppose he KNEW he would crash and kill someone? Who was the examiner who let him pass? Surely this accident is a pointer at the test examiners failure to notice a 'reckless, irresponsible and stupid driver'.

If it were me I would appeal.

WTF? I have said it before and will reiterate for the 'hang em high' brigade. This young man has to live the rest of his life with the memory of the death of a friend on his conscience, is that not punishment enough?

@ Vulgarian, He killed someone? Do you suppose he KNEW he would crash and kill someone? Who was the examiner who let him pass? Surely this accident is a pointer at the test examiners failure to notice a 'reckless, irresponsible and stupid driver'.

Well i suppose if he didn't mean to kill anyone that's ok then?

Even better, lets blame the driving examiner who passed him, or the Manx Governement who maintain the roads and granted him the licence.

Or could it indeed be that this young lad made a foolish and costly mistake that he and the family of the deceased will have to live with for the rest of their lives? Call me old fashioned if you will, but I know the deceased's family will suffer this for the rest of their lives. A term of incarceration might serve as a reminder to others that they are accountable for their actions, intended or otherwise.

A term of incarceration might serve as a reminder to others that they are accountable for their actions, intended or otherwise.

You may be on to something. But it should be done before incidents occur. Speeding drivers should be caught and jailed before they kill someone. Now that would work as a deterrent.

Blaming the driving examiner is of course a ridiculous suggestion, but it brings us to the issue of the system that allows a hormonally charged 17 year old male to be in charge of a vehicle capable of doing speeds of over 100mph, and allowing him to carry passengers. There have been a lot of calls to raise the minimum driving age. The roads would certainly be safer without the likes of this stupid article tearing about like mad things.

So if it was your kid that was killed in the crash, due to someones reckless driving would you still blame the examiner?

I thought not..........the 60's went ages ago hippy move with the times.

His time would be better spent educating his peers as to the real results of of their actions, assuming the victims family were agreable.

That said i can understand why victims families would prefer a custodial sentance

What he said.

All teenagers make mistakes - armchair critics should just be glad theirs were relatively minor ones. Don't underestimate the effect this will have on the lad for the rest of his life neither. Education and a realisation of the consequences of such accidents is the only key to reducing them IMO.

I was 17 when I passed my test and wrote off my parent's car within 3 hours. Luckily it was only me and a hedge involed.

I look back now and think how easy it was to pass my test because I learnt by Highway Code verbatum and knew when to move the steering wheel properly. It was only after I was allowed to drive a car again (my parents were trusting!) that I really did learn to drive properly.

My driving instructor put me in for my test, the examiner passed me and my parents let me take their car out within an hour of passing my test. I do take responsibility for what happened but lookign back not 100%. Thank God it was only me and the hedge involved as I had been on the way to collect my friends.

I can't begin to understand how the family of the young lad who died will be feeling but as previoulsy said, the young man responsible will aso live with this forever. Something has to be learned from this and not just longer jail terms. The whole driving test and lessons need a complete overhall. Not just for the young but the middle-aged and the old.

Archived