[BBC News] Farmers may get 300% fund raise

Newsbot

Yet more hand outs, How come i dont get anything for changing the way i run my business?

Farmers are always quick to blame the supermarkets for the price we pay for meat products, although the local butchers dont seem to far behind in price.

Will this money help to make the organic products cheaper for the consumer?

cos farmers are the first link in the 'food chain' and as such are fairly important to it. no farmers, no food.

I too would like a £1000 if its not important, im sure others also would like paying for running an uneconomic business.

Is this trully capitalism and the free market economy in action?

the businesses are uneconomic for 2 reasons. 1) some farms are too small to make a living off in modern times unless you go down the intensive route with eggs or chickens etc, and 2) farming is one of the few ( maybe only ) business where the buyer ( iom creameries or fatstock ) tell YOU what they will pay you for your produce!! regardless of what it actually cost you to make, along with supermarkets who also do the same to the processors with the threat of importing stuff and not using local farmers/processors at all!! if we all actually payed what the meat or milk cost to produce with a 'fair' markup down the line, we would be paying more than we already do.

Yet more hand outs, How come i dont get anything for changing the way i run my business?

Farmers are always quick to blame the supermarkets for the price we pay for meat products, although the local butchers dont seem to far behind in price.

Will this money help to make the organic products cheaper for the consumer?

cos farmers are the first link in the 'food chain' and as such are fairly important to it. no farmers, no food.

Snag is manx farmers are not the only farmers and nobody advocates bye bye to all farmers, that is a mis direction.

Calculate your meat price with added hill farm subsidies, abbottoir build and run costs, grant and loan costs, Litts running losses and export subsidies, it aint so cheap then.

Organic is basically going back to before chemicals, i have always found that working with nature is easier than against it.

Why people don't turn a corner of the garden to veg production is beyond me it means less to buy from the shop.

Archived