Are We Properly Preparing Our Young Drivers?

finaldestination

I drove back from Ramsey last Saturday, a sunny late afternoon, and was pretty appalled at the standard of driving. From streams of bikers swerving in and out of traffic and crossing to the otherside of the road on the outside of a bend with no visibility, to chavvy little berks having overtaking competitions all the way through to a pair of dickhead sports car drivers racing each other, I pretty much saw it all. All that was missing was the pile of bodies in a steaming heap of wreckage.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggested to the minister of transport that the age at which the driving test can be taken should be raised from 16 to 18. However, still allow 16 year old children to learn, as they can now.

The effect of this would be twofold. Firstly, it would remove a lot of young, unsupervised drivers from the road. secondly, it would reduce the amount of traffic on the roads by a small percentage.

He actually liked the idea, but then thre was the last general election and he was replaced.

Slim, the case of the lad jailed for killing his mate illustrates perfectly why the introduction of a national speed limit will not work, 120mph in a 40mph zone on R plates (50 max). What part of limit does he not understand? Rich is correct about Santon too. Also Richmond hill is another place. I drive up there every day at 50mph (give or take) and I am usually overtaken, sometimes at extremely high speed.

Slim, the case of the lad jailed for killing his mate illustrates perfectly why the introduction of a national speed limit will not work, 120mph in a 40mph zone on R plates (50 max). What part of limit does he not understand? Rich is correct about Santon too. Also Richmond hill is another place. I drive up there every day at 50mph (give or take) and I am usually overtaken, sometimes at extremely high speed.

No, it doesn't illustrate anything. You can't say that some isolated examples are proof that an overall speed limit wont work to bring average speeds down and raise safety. As another poster has said, it's far easier to enforce a flat speed limit than muck about with R plates.

Why is the IOM the only place in the world not to have a national speed limit? Is the whole world doing it wrong and we're right?

Why is the IOM the only place in the world not to have a national speed limit? Is the whole world doing it wrong and we're right?

The Isle of Man is the (self appointed) Road Racing Capital Of The World. This is how we are marketed, and why TVR Owners Clubs and sad wankers on bikes who like to pretend they are racing drivers/riders come over here. A few dead people are a price worth paying for the perpetuation of that image. In fact, they're probably welcome. As long as the odd token prison term is delivered, regardless of whether it serves any useful purpose or not, then we can at least be seen to care without jeopardising the macho motorist's need for speed.

Could we just not close the entire mountain road / TT circuit every Sunday so that the sad people can have their 'release'? Maybe also close it for 2 or 3 evenings a week for practice.

No, it doesn't illustrate anything. You can't say that some isolated examples are proof that an overall speed limit wont work to bring average speeds down and raise safety. As another poster has said, it's far easier to enforce a flat speed limit than muck about with R plates.

And what does applying a flat speed limit do? It gives people a target speed. You tell people they can do 50, they will do 50-55. You tell people they can do 30, they will do 30-35. You tell people they can do whatever they want, the majority will spend most of the time doing the speed that they feel most comfortable at, usually 45-50.

Utter rubbish. I have never once thought "Oh I am driving below the speed limit I had better speed up and see if I can drive at the speed limit or faster."

Yes many of drive at around 35 mph on a 30 zone or 55 in a 50 zone. That is not because we see the limit as a target and try and break it but because we would like to be driving faster than the limit states but are basically law abiding if only because of the fear of being caught. Accordingly we accept the risk of being caught of going a few mph over the limit.

I do though admit there is one exception which is the stupid smiley/grumpy faces in the IoM which also state your speed. Those in my view are a distraction to the drivers as a) they make you take your eye off the road to read and b) in my case they make me want to speed up to see speed I can get up to on the read out. If thety insist on having they should simply be a warning sign which comes on only if you are exceeding the speed limit. I would point out to covermyself that the sensitivity of some of these signs is such that they start flashing at you prior to hitting the 30mph zone or whatever.

And what does applying a flat speed limit do? It gives people a target speed. You tell people they can do 50, they will do 50-55. You tell people they can do 30, they will do 30-35. You tell people they can do whatever they want, the majority will spend most of the time doing the speed that they feel most comfortable at, usually 45-50.

There are lots of laws in place. It just seems that nobody is enforcing them. Are there not enough police officers to go out and patrol? Do they rely too much on witness statements after the event instead of catching them at it? I never see police cars out and about, never see people being pulled over for daft overtaking/speeding etc. Surely if you thought you would probably get caught instead of possibly get caught, you're less likely to do it.

Utter tosh, but all of those scenarios are better than the 100+ mph you see over the mountain most days.

Sarahc, I agree, enforcements vital. I think the odd person being done for speeding over there if there was a limit would be some deterrent though.

Bottleneck car park by the Sea Terminal home of a night time to most young " R " plate drivers in their Clio`s and Corsa`s. As soon as they leave the car park they wheel spin and take off like a tornado.

Now lets not forget the "R" plate bit here - they are still within 12 months of passing their test. How much education can you give them.

Restrictors on their engines linked to insurance policies (if they have them on - cheaper insurance !!)

If they get stopped and their has been a little bit of tampering - a ban and a retake of their test

There are lots of laws in place. It just seems that nobody is enforcing them. Are there not enough police officers to go out and patrol? Do they rely too much on witness statements after the event instead of catching them at it? I never see police cars out and about, never see people being pulled over for daft overtaking/speeding etc. Surely if you thought you would probably get caught instead of possibly get caught, you're less likely to do it.

In addition we could also use technology such as average speed cameras, except we are the IoM and such things are apparently not acceptable.

I believe that eventually speed limits and cameras will be introduced just like the breatherlyzer was. I can remember when the IoM did not have the breatherlyzer and now it is basically accepted

Archived