[BBC News] School 'cycle buses' take to road

Newsbot

If a cycle path could be provided along the boundary of Peel golf course from the heritage trail (which is usually cycleable) then the children coming from Glen Vine area need not use the main road at all.

There's a path that runs pretty near to the school. The problem with the heritage trail is it's in pretty poor nick. It'd need to be graveled or tarmacked really.

IMO this needs doing anyway, it could be a great cycle commuter route from Peel to Douglas, and is about 1/4 tarmac already.

Cycle lanes are needed across the island as a whole. I would use them. At the moment I choose to walk to work, but it would be great if we had lanes in place, I could also significantly reduce my journey time

I would like to cycle to work now, but I value my life too much to risk travelling on busy main roads.

On the whole I see no reason to create special cycle lanes in some kind of bizarre road segregation. I would however be in favour of tarmacing the old railway line from Douglas to Peel, even though I think it is probably a bit much to expect students to cycle to Peel from Glen Vine, bearing in mind there are no actual obstacles to them doing this now.

Cycle lanes are needed across the island as a whole. I would use them. At the moment I choose to walk to work, but it would be great if we had lanes in place, I could also significantly reduce my journey time

I would like to cycle to work now, but I value my life too much to risk travelling on busy main roads.

That's a shame. Despite a few hotspots, the Island is actually a great place to cycle on the roads. We've a very large road network for our population size and that results in very quiet roads most of the time.

Yes there are idiots, yes it can be risky, but it's a lot less risky than inner city cycling.

You might want to just give it a try, I tend to go out after 6:30pm on the roads, and you really don't see much traffic once your out of town. The bike races happen on the roads up north, and you'd think the roads were closed most of the time, they're virtually deserted.

I wouldn't :( If I wanted to ride tarmac I'd ride the road. Path trails are much nicer routes to take in the country side. Sure pack down some of the ground where it's boggy but leave it well alone and keep it natural in my opinion.

I tend to go out after 6:30pm on the roads, and you really don't see much traffic once your out of town.

That's only because you haven't told us where at 6:30pm.

Here, come get some!

post-7-1241096785_thumb.jpg

Rich, even gravel like it is from Marown to Union mills would be better. Currently the middle 1/3 is almost impassable with mud. Someones filled in the holes nearer peel though.

Archived