Swine Flu And Tt 09.

WilDDog

As far as i understand it, what makes this virus potentially very serious is that, unlike normal flu, many of the victims are young and healthy. This is worrying because it suggests the virus kills by causing the body's immune system to overreact, so young healthy people with strong immune systems are more susceptible. Spanish Influenza (whcih killed up to up to 100 million in 1918-19) is believed to have worked the same way.

It's not been reported for a fact that they were perfectly healthy, infact most reporting is scaremongering as per usual which non factual conflicting evidence.

I take it you looked at the year of the Spanish Influenza? It was 1918 FFS!!! People were still washing their shit down the streets.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The swine flu pandemic alert is already at level 5 now - level 5 indicating human-to-human transmission in at least two countries. Pandemic alert only goes to level 6 - so there's not much between, theoretically, 4 people dying from it on level 5, and everyone dying from it at level 6.

Somehow that doesn't fill me with confidence. It's like the pandemic alert system actually has panic built in to it from the start.

Panic Panic!!!!

@LDV - I am no expert, but established viruses continue to cause epidemics, they do alter over time, but if they remain within certain bounds then the body has some level of protection reducing their impact and ability to spread worldwide. If they mutate out of those bounds then medical science consider that its a new virus and the result can be a pandemics - the body has much less level of protection so a world wide spread is possible.

SARS etc were new viruses which didn't have what it took - touch wood this one is the same.

Sorry, it wasn't you. I'd read both threads before replying and didn't check.

7 people dead at latest figures.

PANIC

Who's panicking? The 24 hour news will report, that's what they do, the rest of us are just being vigilant.

Alibaba: I've not quoted 200 deaths?

Sorry, it wasn't you. I'd read both threads before replying and didn't check.

7 people dead at latest figures.

PANIC

I heard yesterday from a very reliable source - doctor in pub, he smokes as well! - that it's far too early to tell infection and death rates. This is because the figures are gathered mostly from hospitals. Where, of course, they tend to see only the very badly affected and those who die. Not those who stay at home for a few days with the snuffles.

Wait and see mode.

@LDV - I am no expert, but established viruses continue to cause epidemics, they do alter over time, but if they remain within certain bounds then the body has some level of protection reducing their impact and ability to spread worldwide. If they mutate out of those bounds then medical science consider that its a new virus and the result can be a pandemics - the body has much less level of protection so a world wide spread is possible.

SARS etc were new viruses which didn't have what it took - touch wood this one is the same.

Ah right, yeah that makes sense, the level of mutation or variance with other flus is far greater.

As far as i understand it, what makes this virus potentially very serious is that, unlike normal flu, many of the victims are young and healthy. This is worrying because it suggests the virus kills by causing the body's immune system to overreact, so young healthy people with strong immune systems are more susceptible. Spanish Influenza (whcih killed up to up to 100 million in 1918-19) is believed to have worked the same way.

It's not been reported for a fact that they were perfectly healthy, infact most reporting is scaremongering as per usual which non factual conflicting evidence.

I take it you looked at the year of the Spanish Influenza? It was 1918 FFS!!! People were still washing their shit down the streets.

The part about the immune system overreacting to date seems to be true, I enquired with my consultant about the implications of this virus as I am on medication for rheumatoid arthritis that suppresses the immune system, I was informed that due to the nature of this virus all should be ok as this would prevent my immune system from overreacting which seems to be the most dangerous part of this viral strain.

I think people are talking at cross purposes - already existing viruses that infect humans are at the post pandemic stage on the WHO list.

They may have gone through the pandemic stage anything from 40 to 40,000 years ago and now tend to only cause epidemics which still are a serious health concern, killing thousands of people per year in the UK - ie on a par with road accidents.

A pandemic occurs when a new virus reaches the ability to easily spread within people.

SARS etc were new viruses which got to level 3 on the scale - interesting if it had happened in Europe as opposed to China it would probably have got to level 4 as infections occurred over an area of thousands of miles with Hong Kong, Beijing and even interior cities like Xi'an having cases.

We've now got a new virus which has reached level 5.

I fully agree deaths aren't the issue at the moment - its how easily it spreads - if this virus can easily spread then it will go large. And when it goes large it is likely that people will die based on the symptoms already reported.

SARS pettered out at level 3 - it didn't easily spread from person to person - sadly it killed WHO experts and nurses!

This virus is at level 5 - it seems to be spreading sustainably person to person. Given that the risk of it going large are high - going large will kill people.

Viruses might be the only widespread human predator left - but at least they'll be there to wipe out any aliens. Preferably starting with any Scots living here ;)

post-2251-1241090383_thumb.jpg

WTF is that picture? Hahaha It looks one of those crab creatures off the Dark Crystal.

You're hoping it will kill Scots? That'll be you buggered then, wouldn't it?

This virus is at level 5 - it seems to be spreading sustainably person to person. Given that the risk of it going large are high - going large will kill people.

Shit, I didn't realise it was anywhere near as serious as bird flu. (Might have to stock up on echinacea)

Archived