Macquarie Share Trading Halted

bluemonday

Clicky

The firm is due to release figures tomorrow (Friday) which experts say could show the company’s full-year profits have fallen by up to 50 per cent, and its operating income by about 15 per cent.

Clicky
The firm is due to release figures tomorrow (Friday) which experts say could show the company’s full-year profits have fallen by up to 50 per cent, and its operating income by about 15 per cent.

Results

Profit down 52% to A$871 million and net operating income fell 33 per cent to $5.526 billion. Mind you I personally would not object to having A$871 million in my bank account. In fairness to Macquarie they have produced a profit - unlike certain UK banks who have managed billions of losses. Overall the Australian banking sector seems to have performed quite well through the global economic downturn. This seems to be due to the regulatory environment (Gordon and Alistair please note...).

I am reminded of seeing two days ago on TV in Singapore a report on NTT DoCoMo's profit "plunging" by 3.7% to about US$ 4.7 billion! For years we have assumed that profits can only go up and journalists love to be doomsayers.

Archived