Term-time Holidays Ban Scrubbed

Cronky

Any other parents out there remember receiving the letter from the Department of Education banning us from taking the kids out during term time with the threat of court action?

It seems it was all a lot of hot air:

Isle of Man Today website:

MHKs demand clarity over term-time holidays 'threat'

schools currently have a discretion to allow leave of absence for 10 days for holidays in term time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all in favour of a ban against selfish parents causing disruption to everyone else during term time

does that mean you want disruptive kids from parents with no time to teach them how to behave and discipline them to be expelled?? good idea if you do.

I think they can be dealt with in special classes.

What I actually meant was that parents who take their children out of school during term time are selfish: it means that the teachers have to concentrate on bringing them back up to speed with what they have missed, simply because their selfish parents prefer cheaper holidays. I'd ban it in a heartbeat, and fine anyone not in compliance.

I think they can be dealt with in special classes.

What I actually meant was that parents who take their children out of school during term time are selfish: it means that the teachers have to concentrate on bringing them back up to speed with what they have missed, simply because their selfish parents prefer cheaper holidays. I'd ban it in a heartbeat, and fine anyone not in compliance.

Not to go into the rights and wrongs, as Ans says it has been done before. But are teachers required to bring that child 'up to speed' after a long absence? I thought in secondary school the onus was on the pupil to catch-up.

My daughter attends a secondary school in the west of the island. It seems to be common practice for every lesson in the last week or so of each term to allow the students to basically do as they please - they watch DVDs during the lesson time and don't have any actual teaching. I would have no compuction in taking my daughter on holiday during these periods (especially as she is in the top stream for most subjects) if it saved me a couple of hundred quid on a holiday.

I'm all in favour of a ban against selfish parents causing disruption to everyone else during term time

My daughter just walked in the door, and tells me that one lad in her maths lesson today punched another in the face!

Do you suppose they were arguing about holidays in term time?

If those lads had been on holiday today, would we have had more or less disruption?

Any parent who takes their children out of school during term time is selfish. On so many levels.

Ever since my children were born they've been on holidays during term-time. Their schoolwork has never suffered and nor have the teachers had to go out of their way to make sure they're up to speed with the work they've missed.

Their schoolwork has never suffered and nor have the teachers had to go out of their way to make sure they're up to speed with the work they've missed.

Of course not. That's just the case for OTHER children

It's nice to see a tricky issue resolved!

Attendance of Pupils: Legislation, Policy and Procedures

“On application made by the parent with whom the child normally resides, a pupil may be granted leave of absence from the school to enable him to go away on holiday.

Provided that, save in exceptional circumstances, a pupil shall not be granted leave of absence for this purpose for more than 10 school days in any school year.”

Can't see a problem with that.

Archived