Warning To Farmers

homarus

Manx Farmers have been warned by the Minister for D.A.F.F. not to burn gorse on their land as it may result in prosecution!

More than just a little irony there I would say?

Manx Farmers have been warned by the Minister for D.A.F.F. not to burn gorse on their land as it may result in prosecution!

They will probably be 'prosecuted' in the same way as farmers not cutting their cushag by August 1st are 'prosecuted' ie not at all.

On Sunday. Terry Cringle is doing some spiel on Gorse on Manx Radio's History Mann (8:30AM and 10:30 PM)

Hasn't it alway been illegal to burn gorse at this time of year because of nesting birds etc, or am I missing some other hidden meaning here?

yes not allowed to burn at these times, there is a set period that it is allowed in

They will probably be 'prosecuted' in the same way as farmers not cutting their cushag by August 1st are 'prosecuted' ie not at all.

just like The DOT then, who never clear the hedgers of the stuff, or on there land

On Sunday. Terry Cringle is doing some spiel on Gorse on Manx Radio's History Mann (8:30AM and 10:30 PM)

Well that's a date for my diary then.

Well that's a date for my diary then.

Here's a bit of spoiler to whet your appetite if you can't wait:

"Gorse (Ulex) comprises a genus of about 20 species of evergreen shrubs in the subfamily Faboideae of the pea family Fabaceae, native to western Europe and northwest Africa, with the majority of species in Iberia. Other common names for gorse include furse, whin and furze."

"Gorse flowers are edible and can be used in salads, tea and to make a non-grape based 'wine'. Gorse was used as animal feed in Scotland and Wales within the UK."

My Grandmother used to add gorse flowers to the hot water used for boiling eggs at eastertime ,after boiling they would be a dried and painted .

Anybody else remember doing this?

Hasn't it alway been illegal to burn gorse at this time of year because of nesting birds etc, or am I missing some other hidden meaning here?

Minxie. Would itn help if you knew that the Hon Minister was once convicted for arson?

Archived