Youth Cafe Planned For Douglas Town Centre

Albert Tatlock

As a youth worker who will be involved in this project,I can only say it's a fantastic idea.

Quite a few of us on here have been banging on about the idea for a few years now. It's nice to see something happening like this, and hopefully you will get all the support it needs. I particularly like the idea of the yoofs 'controlling' it themselves - as responsibility begats responsibility IMO (and a few toe-rags involved on the 'committee?' might turn some of them around too) - seen that happen a few times.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can only be a good thing, if controlled and run well. Kenyons i understand does suffer from not enough volunteers, then again Youth work is hard and not suited to everyone (though it is also great fun as I worked at Onchan youthy far quite a few years)

I really hope it takes off in a big way and for Pats sake is rolled out into Ramsey, Peel etc.

There is a always will be a need for such facilities across the Island. They just have to make it what the kids need not what they think the kids want.

It's a great idea......I was involved as a youth leader at the machine attached to broadway baptist church and that was fantastic, only it became a victim of it's own success and was shut down, I only hope this won't be allowed to occur again with the drop in centre......but I give it my support.

From MR: "A new drop-in centre in Douglas is aiming to become the place to be for youngsters who reckon there's nothing to do...It would be supervised by the Youth Service, with youth workers on hand to offer advice and information. But young people would ultimately run and manage the project themselves."

Sounds like a very good idea to me.

A very good idea (as long as it's not near me)

Not unless you live near Peter Lois..? I am looking foward to seing where this plan of Anne's goes and am really hopeful something good will come out the end.

I remember the Youth Club at the baptist church, it was a great success and was goo. d to see a church really helping the community they live in, whilst not ramming their beliefs down the kids throats, it was a loss when it closed.

Any news on that survey you did Pat?

As a youth worker who will be involved in this project,I can only say it's a fantastic idea.

Good to see that your involved and I wish you and everyone else the best of luck.

There's been many threads involving the Yoof as Albert says and people have said many things from certain perspectives, but I'd like to think that we all would like this to succeed and personally, If it keeps a few from going astray, then it's been worth every penny.

As said before Careworkers, best of luck and PM me sometime, as I'd be interested as to how your getting on. :)

And what, exactly, will this give to our poor little souls who have nothing to do?

What would you like them to do?

What I would like 'them' to do is immaterial. Perhaps, though, you can tell me what you expect this initiative will do for our yoof?

Reading some of the posts on this thread is incredible. Do you really think that a significant proportion of teenage kids on the Island are going to sign up to something that's endorsed by a bunch of happy-clappies? You'd stand more chance of banning the TT on the basis that it's the work of the Devil.

When a centre such as this is asked for in Ramsey, silence speaks loudly.

The schools are there because there is a statutory responsibility to supply safe schools that meet modern criteria. As minister for education she has to do so. The schools weren't new just replacements.

Same with the replacement buildings at RGS, replacements to fulfil modern criteria.

As for community facilities, even her brother (another Kerruish) supports the old swimming pool being used as a community centre. All she sees is more apartments. There are plenty of empty shops in Ramsey and even a shop that is trading with an application for turning into a 'restaurant', maybe Annie could comment about that?

Annie was the main person behind setting up Beryls Bus in Ramsey, long before she was elected. Still operating, successfully, as The Shed and an example of what Douglas, very belatedly, are trying to do, and should have copied years ago.

Annie was the main person behind setting up Beryls Bus in Ramsey, long before she was elected. Still operating, successfully, as The Shed and an example of what Douglas, very belatedly, are trying to do, and should have copied years ago.

The Shed is a great place , plus there is also The Factory in Ramsey which is very popular as well.Both Alan Bell & Anne Craine have been busy on Ramsey's behalf recently and the town has seen some significant investment certainly with the building work on the Ponderosa ( sp ) and the new section of RGS and the totally new build of Scoill Ree Gorree.

This idea in Douglas is a great idea and something that should be welcomed.People should be trying to support these kinds of ideas rather than rubbishing them before they have even opened.

I find is frightening that we leave a lot of these initiatives to churches and the like. Their vested interest is to covertly push their doctrine down kids throats without ever realising it. Going back as far as 'Pathfinders' and the like, it is the happy clappy cults that are more in touch with the kids than the state.

Ideas like The Shed and this new one in Douglas are to be welcomed if it means we can wrestle the kids back from teh arms of the brainwashers.

Why does someone not sublet Woolworths and turn it into an upstairs sports cafe and downstairs nightclub. The club coud be given over to the kids once a week for an under 18 disco and the government could - god forbid - subsidise the cost of this. Sometimes the taxpayers cash should be used for enabling private enterprise rather than trying to go it alone all the time.

Archived