[BBC News] Fairy post box is given support

Newsbot

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Tynwald member backs a suggestion to give "fairies" on the Isle of Man their own letterbox on a bridge.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8036529.stm

Ms Williams said items such as letters, ribbons, fluffy dice and even bras, were left hanging from trees on the bridge and were becoming hazards.

"I suggested to the tourist board that I would respond to every letter if they put a post box there."

Is this "Miss Williams" a stand in Fairy ??

And it'll be interesting to see how she is going to respond to the Bra that's been posted ??

Shut up knob.

So will that be her standard reply then, or just the one having received your Bra through the post ??

Shut up knob.

I don't think the fairies would say that. A troll might!

I have no answer to that one LOL :-)

Happens at the other Faity bridge as well.

I quite like the letters etc, my daughter has drawn a pic that we stuck to the tree a few years ago, i thing bra's, wing mirrors etc is taking the proverbial a little.

Its a load of very old customs, with a modern revival based around the bridge(s).

People would visit springs and tie stuff to the tree next to it, or leave stuff next to it. They also used to leave things in holes in certain hedges for similar purposes.

Bridges, hedges, springs were all considered places where themselves would congregate, so you'd go along and ask 'em for help.

When and how did this adornment of the shrubs around the Fairy Bridge start? Is it the revival of an old custom, or some new custom?

It always reminds me of the way people place messages in temples in Asia. I wonder if there is some basic human instinct at play here? Asking for special favours at sites of spiritual significance? One can only guess at the significance of the bra being hung up.

Why are these items a hazard? IF there is a hazard it is people stopping to put something up and/or mail it in a letter box. Have there been many accidents at the spot?

Perhaps the DOT could design a parking hard standing and slip road system to remove the danger to other motorists? Maybe a bridge to allow people to cross the road to mail their fluffy dice and bras would add to the scenic attraction?

PS: It could be a bigger hazard if the letterbox offends the fairies...

Shut up knob.

Hmm. I was wondering what sort of response this blatant change of tack by BellEndBiker required. This transparent (and a little desperate, lol,lol. ; )) attempt to ingratiate oneself with just a minority of regular MF users, with a probable intention of lending the tiniest bit of weight to his asinine, antithetical ideas. Ideas which attempt to address and justify behaviour which leads to true stories of heroism, as one of his number nearly kills himself and others while filming himself doing wheelies at Ballacrye. (Re: TT2008 - is that an ACTUAL semi! lol,lol) A REAL HERO! (Still unable to walk very well though). Is death the ultimate fantasy for these amateur cinematographers? Logic suggests that it's possible, after all the proper racers who have paid the ultimate price are held in high esteem. (Not by me you understand, I think they're a little irresponsible myself, after all, many of them have families to support).

So, a gentle thrust at a local politician, on a subject close to many a superstitious heart, what better way to disguise a concurrent campaign of vitriolic spite waged on the biking boards, an indirect admission of abject failure if I ever saw one? lol,lol.... ; ) thebees sees what I see, and in a curt, concise and, yes go on, admit it, it's BEAUTIFUL three word phraseology, PERFECTLY captures the mood.

I don't think it's really that much of a 'hazard' where it is - is it? - any stats to back that up? I'd say it probably slows traffic there if anything. I know there have been serious crashes on the bends before and after the fairy bridge, I lost a mate in one quite a few years ago.

I always say 'hello fairies' when I pass the bridge - so I don't come to any harm. Mind you, I said the same in Guys and Dolls once and got beaten up.

Archived