[BBC News] Fairy post box is given support

Newsbot

I suppose it is because grieving people wants other to recognise the fact that their loved one died there or at least that someone did.

It's no less ridiculous for that. My Dad died on the settee in his living room. I didn't feel the need to stick a £1.99 bunch of flowers from tesco's there to commemorate the fact.

Even worse are the numerous occasions across where people put down flowers by the roadside to commemorate where their theiving scumbag sons/brothers/etc crashed at high speed in a stolen car.

Back to Fairy Bridge - that's different thing altogether. It seems to be almost petitioning the fairies, like votive offerings. As I mentioned above the crap tied to the tree reminded me immediately of this tree in Cyprus.

3827408-Raggy_terebinth_tree-Paphos.jpg

terebinth tree - Paphos

I remember first seeing that tree and smiling to myself at what a primitive lot they must be there to still believe in that old rubbish. :rolleyes:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to Fairy Bridge - that's different thing altogether.

Give the Fairies email and then anyone around the world can send mail to the fairies, they won't need an individual post box which would have to be emptied and they could have virtual bras sent to them like facebook gifts.

My work here is done

Rather than worrying about Fairy letter boxes I would be willing to listen to a debate about putting better parking on that stretch of road

I mentioned once before that there should be a coach and car park just off the A5 onto the A25 which would not interfere with the normal traffic flow

From the carpark to the popular Fairy Bridge, create something similar to that of the Summerhill Glen

Summerhill Glen

Another Summerhill Pic

Add a few seats, lighting, wishing well, post box and ideally, purchase the house next to the bridge to make a shop/tea room and you've got the makings of a nice little earner during the summer periods.

It's no less ridiculous for that. My Dad died on the settee in his living room. I didn't feel the need to stick a £1.99 bunch of flowers from tesco's there to commemorate the fact.

Even worse are the numerous occasions across where people put down flowers by the roadside to commemorate where their theiving scumbag sons/brothers/etc crashed at high speed in a stolen car.

Ridiculous? Not so sure. Never bothered me or have given judgement on those who place flowers or notes where a love one died. If that makes people feel a little better about losing someone, yet only have the 'cost' of catching someone's eye (and not posing as a distraction) then fuck the aesthetic appeal of it. I think it is understandable. And I don't think it make a bit of difference whether it was a 'scumbag' thief or whatever.

But it quite a different thing than people attached tack to a tree near a bridge because of a superstition that is related to another bridge.

This childish act of fly tipping may seem fair an all that but surely if I thought that some feckin imaginary being lived at the bottom of my street and I and other like minded people left letters, presents, bras etc., etc. at the site then we'd be prosecuted and fined....hell imagine if everyone on the island did this all in different places...even worse them and all visitors to the island...the place would be a shithole of the highest order in next to no time, sure there's a flip side...John Faragher and his cronies could employ a shitload of rubbish collectors amnd bye-law enforcers...so I guess all is not lost ;)

Rather than worrying about Fairy letter boxes I would be willing to listen to a debate about putting better parking on that stretch of road

I mentioned once before that there should be a coach and car park just off the A5 onto the A25 which would not interfere with the normal traffic flow

From the carpark to the popular Fairy Bridge, create something similar to that of the Summerhill Glen

Summerhill Glen

Another Summerhill Pic

Add a few seats, lighting, wishing well, post box and ideally, purchase the house next to the bridge to make a shop/tea room and you've got the makings of a nice little earner during the summer periods.

your cream crackers

No she isn't thats a good enough idea. However, rather than have a lazy fat persons car park, why not have a walk from Douglas to the fairy bridge, perhaps Santon would be a better idea, there is room for a car park at the train station, run a walk path along by the river and upto the 'bridge' where there would be a nice tea room, selling decent drinks in real cups, nice homemade cakes & souvenirs, made on the island :o ooooorr even, build a bridge over the road and make a steam train stop for it, I'm sure there is an old rail shed thing around that area, they could stop the train there and people could go off to visit the fairies for an hour or 3 until the next train comes along.

This childish act of fly tipping may seem fair an all that but surely if I thought that some feckin imaginary being lived at the bottom of my street and I and other like minded people left letters, presents, bras etc., etc. at the site then we'd be prosecuted and fined....hell imagine if everyone on the island did this all in different places...even worse them and all visitors to the island...the place would be a shithole of the highest order in next to no time, sure there's a flip side...John Faragher and his cronies could employ a shitload of rubbish collectors amnd bye-law enforcers...so I guess all is not lost ;)

Exactly - I could declare there were fairies at the bottom of keyboarders garden and leave my old underwear there. (Well I could if I knew where he lived or even if he has a garden)

Archived