[BBC News] Fairy post box is given support

Newsbot

This childish act of fly tipping may seem fair an all that but surely if I thought that some feckin imaginary being lived at the bottom of my street and I and other like minded people left letters, presents, bras etc., etc. at the site then we'd be prosecuted and fined....hell imagine if everyone on the island did this all in different places...even worse them and all visitors to the island...the place would be a shithole of the highest order in next to no time, sure there's a flip side...John Faragher and his cronies could employ a shitload of rubbish collectors amnd bye-law enforcers...so I guess all is not lost ;)

Matt you seem to be confusing me with someone else.....

:cool:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This childish act of fly tipping may seem fair an all that but surely if I thought that some feckin imaginary being lived at the bottom of my street and I and other like minded people left letters, presents, bras etc., etc. at the site then we'd be prosecuted and fined....hell imagine if everyone on the island did this all in different places...even worse them and all visitors to the island...the place would be a shithole of the highest order in next to no time, sure there's a flip side...John Faragher and his cronies could employ a shitload of rubbish collectors amnd bye-law enforcers...so I guess all is not lost ;)

Matt you seem to be confusing me with someone else.....

:cool:

It's not the only thing he's confused about. Calm down Matt, what on earth has this to do with fly tipping? It's a completely different matter to the good old pagan tradition of leaving personal offerings at significant sites. Can't see any harm myself - it may be superstition but then so is religion.

Ahhh... informed debate, as ever!

The Manx government obviously haven't a clue about the Island's history and folklore, and seem equally clueless about maintaining and promoting the same as an assett.

The 'Fairy Shop' is a fake if it wants to get rid of the tradition on tieing cloths and papers to a tree near a well or bridge...

It's a completely different matter to the good old pagan tradition of leaving personal offerings at significant sites.

My first wife treated me like a Pagan Saint and would always give me burnt offerings when I got home from work...

This putting flowers and notes etc. seems to be a recent import from the UK.

I've never seen anywhere in the UK where people put notes out for fairies to read. Can you give a specific example?

Try any gents loo, in any city centre.

It's a completely different matter to the good old pagan tradition of leaving personal offerings at significant sites. Can't see any harm myself - it may be superstition but then so is religion.

Not a tradition at all.

I never saw any of this shite strewn around the Fairy Bridge at Ballaglonney until the last 10 years or so.

It is a recent import. It is crass and crap. It is a complete dumbing-down of tradition and the meaning of what the Fairy Bridge is about. The Bridge has a meaningful place in our history and deserves a degree of respect outside of the " me, me, me, me" demands of the children and their parents of today.

Under The Bridge

No she isn't thats a good enough idea. However, rather than have a lazy fat persons car park, why not have a walk from Douglas to the fairy bridge, perhaps Santon would be a better idea, there is room for a car park at the train station, run a walk path along by the river and upto the 'bridge' where there would be a nice tea room, selling decent drinks in real cups, nice homemade cakes & souvenirs, made on the island :o ooooorr even, build a bridge over the road and make a steam train stop for it, I'm sure there is an old rail shed thing around that area, they could stop the train there and people could go off to visit the fairies for an hour or 3 until the next train comes along.

Brill suggestion as I forgot about the train and you could see the additional benefit to the train as well. :thumbsup:

All we need now is some enterprising MHK to have a word in one or two ears as to the feasibility and costings of the scheme and the place would be a winner, certainly in the summer months.

Not a tradition at all.

I never saw any of this shite strewn around the Fairy Bridge at Ballaglonney until the last 10 years or so.

It is a recent import. It is crass and crap. It is a complete dumbing-down of tradition and the meaning of what the Fairy Bridge is about. The Bridge has a meaningful place in our history and deserves a degree of respect outside of the " me, me, me, me" demands of the children and their parents of today.

Under The Bridge

Is it a bit like the recent trend to put up crosses and plastic flowers at fatal accident sites?

Rather than worrying about Fairy letter boxes I would be willing to listen to a debate about putting better parking on that stretch of road

I mentioned once before that there should be a coach and car park just off the A5 onto the A25 which would not interfere with the normal traffic flow

From the carpark to the popular Fairy Bridge, create something similar to that of the Summerhill Glen

Summerhill Glen

Another Summerhill Pic

Add a few seats, lighting, wishing well, post box and ideally, purchase the house next to the bridge to make a shop/tea room and you've got the makings of a nice little earner during the summer periods.

OMFG!! Look what you have done now:

Tea room plan for Fairy Bridge - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Tea-room-pl...airy.5263876.jp

No she isn't thats a good enough idea. However, rather than have a lazy fat persons car park, why not have a walk from Douglas to the fairy bridge, perhaps Santon would be a better idea, there is room for a car park at the train station, run a walk path along by the river and upto the 'bridge' where there would be a nice tea room, selling decent drinks in real cups, nice homemade cakes & souvenirs, made on the island :o ooooorr even, build a bridge over the road and make a steam train stop for it, I'm sure there is an old rail shed thing around that area, they could stop the train there and people could go off to visit the fairies for an hour or 3 until the next train comes along.

Brill suggestion as I forgot about the train and you could see the additional benefit to the train as well. :thumbsup:

All we need now is some enterprising MHK to have a word in one or two ears as to the feasibility and costings of the scheme and the place would be a winner, certainly in the summer months.

Can Bees claim intellictual rights..lol

Archived