[BBC News] Woman's cow attack 'terrifying'

Newsbot

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been walking through such fields on the Island for over 30 years and have never known cows to be anything other than at best timid and at worst curious. A different story it seems when there are calves present:

BBC Report from Cumbria 2003

BBC Report Derbyshire 2004

from 2003 Times report on above incident : In 1998 Leslie Tyson, 74, was killed by cows while out walking her dog in Cumbria.

Woman is trampled to death by cows as she walks her dog

I didnt think cows sniffing was classified as a terrifying attack

Seems the dog may be the common denominator in this although all but one of the reports relates to cows with calves.

I have to say I am not totally surprised as having been brought up in the country side I have never really worried about bullocks/steers, they tend to be inquisative and play games with you but that is about it. Bulls I am generally cautious of and cows with calves as by far the most dangerous animal I ever came across was a cow with a calf. That was closely followed by a pig which as soon as you stood on its gate to climb into its field it would come tearing across mouth open

I've been walking through such fields on the Island for over 30 years and have never known cows to be anything other than at best timid and at worst curious. A different story it seems when there are calves present:

BBC Report from Cumbria 2003

BBC Report Derbyshire 2004

from 2003 Times report on above incident : In 1998 Leslie Tyson, 74, was killed by cows while out walking her dog in Cumbria.

Woman is trampled to death by cows as she walks her dog

How would she react if a cow walked into her house?

Tell it to moo-ve?

If the cows had managed to get on a public footpath she has my sympathy, if she entered a field containing the cows & calves etc, she really does need a little more common sense.

Though hindsight is a wonderful thing. But either cause I hope she makes a full recovery.

The footpaths are through fields. A sensible approach would be for some public education on the dangers of animals when calving, wouldn't take much, bit of a press release like the dog over a cliff thing.

It's an exciting story though, they should make it into a moovie! Or even a moosical!

(sorry)

"My sister, fortunately, was brought up with animals, so we know what to do and how to respect them.

well if u been brought up with animals u would know that u never take a dog in a field with mum and calves

And if you’re a responsible farmer you should know that cattle with calves should not be put in a filed that has public access

Archived