[BBC News] Woman's cow attack 'terrifying'

Newsbot

Come on, turning a serious thread into a joke fest is and udder disgrace.

Moooove on.

Without running the risk of "milking" the whole issue, I would like to point out that it can be quite intimidating when confronted by a herd (if that is the correct collective noun, of course) of cows. I find myself in this situation most days at work!!! Oh and before anyone wishes to complain about such a comment ???? I am a farmer!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its quite interesting to read peoples responses to this story, I don’t find it hard to believe that most of them are quite cynical and not having the full facts like to imply that the lady that suffered the injury is at fault. Unfortunately the legislation for farmers on the island differs from the legislation in the UK. In the UK farmers are required to complete a risk assessment before placing livestock in the field. In this case the same cows in the same filed attacked another walker a few weeks earlier, on this occasion the walker was able to get away and suffered no injuries, the farmer was advised to move the cattle but did not. I understand that these cattle are still in the same field, my only concern is that had this been an elderly person or young child potentially we would be looking at something far more serious. Also, had there been signs warning of the potential danger maybe both incidents could have been avoided.

Its quite interesting to read peoples responses to this story, I don’t find it hard to believe that most of them are quite cynical and not having the full facts like to imply that the lady that suffered the injury is at fault. Unfortunately the legislation for farmers on the island differs from the legislation in the UK. In the UK farmers are required to complete a risk assessment before placing livestock in the field. In this case the same cows in the same filed attacked another walker a few weeks earlier, on this occasion the walker was able to get away and suffered no injuries, the farmer was advised to move the cattle but did not. I understand that these cattle are still in the same field, my only concern is that had this been an elderly person or young child potentially we would be looking at something far more serious. Also, had there been signs warning of the potential danger maybe both incidents could have been avoided.

Good point.

Good point.

So says the hypocritical tool who kicked off the comments with:

If the cows had managed to get on a public footpath she has my sympathy, if she entered a field containing the cows & calves etc, she really does need a little more common sense

. In this case the same cows in the same filed attacked another walker a few weeks earlier, on this occasion the walker was able to get away and suffered no injuries, the farmer was advised to move the cattle but did not. I understand that these cattle are still in the same field, . Also, had there been signs warning of the potential danger maybe both incidents could have been avoided.

maybe thats the only field he has that thay can go into at this time of year!!!!!!

and if u post signs up of the warnings, then u are leaveing yourself open to be sued as u know of the dangers and have placed signs to warn ppl, which means u expcet liabilty

Good point.

So says the hypocritical tool who kicked off the comments with:

If the cows had managed to get on a public footpath she has my sympathy, if she entered a field containing the cows & calves etc, she really does need a little more common sense

As I did not know the full story, only what i had read , I did not realise that the path led through a field and the past problems, it shone a new light on the subject.

So am I not allowed to change my mind???

Does that make me a fool, because i take note of the details and comment that they are a good point, for being someone that thinks about things that come to light.

edited, Do I even care what you think... nope, but if you are going to call me a tool, then get some balls and do it to my face... cock

Cynicism aside, I still think that the owness ought to be on people using footpaths to be aware of potential hazards and to choose another route etc if something you're not sure about comes up. Animals are unpredictable by their nature, and generally quite vicious where their young are factored in.

I agree that perhaps questions should be asked if there have other attacks from the same beasts, or if some common sense has not been followed in moving them if that's possible. For instance you might expect that after one attack if the farmer has the alternative space that he might move them away from a footpath even if it's just for the sake of his own stock, but still...

If you start having to put up signs to say whether Cow A & Cow B are in a bad mood etc then what's next? Everyone has managed well enough without ever having such things in the past. Does that mean that electric fences have to have signs up also to say if they are switched on or off? Maybe warning signs about cow pats being a potential slipping hazard like you get those yellow plastic signs on shop floors etc.

All sounds stupid yes, and it mainly is. I'm not having a go at the poor woman who's been trampled as it must have been an awful experience but it's famland after all so you can never rule out that sort of thing happening.

Archived