[BBC News] Woman's cow attack 'terrifying'

Newsbot

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cynicism aside, I still think that the owness onus

you knew what you wanted to say but the speech recognition system failed :)

Sorry. Was going to check as I wasn't certain, but I couldn't be arsed.

Its quite interesting to read peoples responses to this story, I don’t find it hard to believe that most of them are quite cynical and not having the full facts like to imply that the lady that suffered the injury is at fault. Unfortunately the legislation for farmers on the island differs from the legislation in the UK. In the UK farmers are required to complete a risk assessment before placing livestock in the field. In this case the same cows in the same filed attacked another walker a few weeks earlier, on this occasion the walker was able to get away and suffered no injuries, the farmer was advised to move the cattle but did not. I understand that these cattle are still in the same field, my only concern is that had this been an elderly person or young child potentially we would be looking at something far more serious. Also, had there been signs warning of the potential danger maybe both incidents could have been avoided.

Risk assessment. What udder bollocks.

The only risk assessment he might make is whether or not they can escape from the field. If he is satisfied they can't then that is that. The bloody walkers might want to take a risk assessment before they go through a field quite clearly containing cows.

There isn't a legal system in civilised world which would penalise a farmer for legitimately putting agricultural animals in agricultural land. Where the hell is he supposed to put them? Jesus!

The only risk assessment he might make is whether or not they can escape from the field. If he is satisfied they can't then that is that. The bloody walkers might want to take a risk assessment before they go through a field quite clearly containing cows.

There isn't a legal system in civilised world which would penalise a farmer for legitimately putting agricultural animals in agricultural land. Where the hell is he supposed to put them? Jesus!

You obviously haven't been down there then - I live just around the corner and regularly walk that footpath. There are never any warning signs up when the cows (and bull(s)) are in. The problem being that there are a string of several fields where the herd could actually be and sometimes you can't see them at all until you're right upon them or they're right upon you. If you enter from the Kentraugh(sp?) end of the path in particular.

I don't find them intimidating myself, but they do always approach and my other half has been surrounded by them in the past. Fortunately enough she's of farming stock and just made loads of noise and flapped around like a madman and they legged it, but for someone older/younger it can't be a particularly nice situation.

While I agree that fencing off the footpath or penalising the farmer aren't realistic, I also think a simple sign at either of the possible entrances to the area when the cows are in there would be both sensible and courteous.

Fortunately enough she's of farming stock and just made loads of noise and flapped around like a madman and they legged it...

/cleans up keyboard and screen with coffee wipes, acts like it was a slight choking / coughing fit and carries on. :blush:

sometimes you can't see them at all until you're right upon them or they're right upon you.

I'm surprised that you of all people would fail to notice a herd of cows. Even ninja cows.

Maybe they should have cowbells in that case.

I gotta have more cowbell!!!

What happened to respecting the country code? Anyone who considers themselves capable of handling dogs and walking anywhere in the countryside should be able to demonstrate a healthy awareness of the degree of responsibility required in tackling any situation that may arise.

My sympathy is with the farmer. Any one stupid enough to walk dogs in a field of cows with calves at heel shouldn't be let out without a minder.

Farm Etiquette

When walking in the countryside please observe the following guidelines:

* Leave gates as you find them

* Keep dogs on leads when near livestock

Do not walk near sheep with dogs during March, April and May when lambing is in progress.

* Never take dogs into fields containing cows

* Avoid fields that contain cows with young calves

* Avoid walking directly across cultivated fields

* Take your litter home with you

* Avoid picking any wild flowers

Keep clear of the farm steading and all farm machinery

Avoid walking through private gardens

explore the area at your own risk.

Fortunately enough she's of farming stock and just made loads of noise and flapped around like a madman and they legged it...

/cleans up keyboard and screen with coffee wipes, acts like it was a slight choking / coughing fit and carries on. :blush:

I was going to type 'spaz' rather than 'madman', but ya know how it is these days.....tsk.

Oi, very true Cret. However I don't worry about mere cattle - you know that scene in Conan where he done knocks out a camel, right?

Its quite interesting to read peoples responses to this story, I don’t find it hard to believe that most of them are quite cynical and not having the full facts like to imply that the lady that suffered the injury is at fault. Unfortunately the legislation for farmers on the island differs from the legislation in the UK. In the UK farmers are required to complete a risk assessment before placing livestock in the field. In this case the same cows in the same filed attacked another walker a few weeks earlier, on this occasion the walker was able to get away and suffered no injuries, the farmer was advised to move the cattle but did not. I understand that these cattle are still in the same field, my only concern is that had this been an elderly person or young child potentially we would be looking at something far more serious. Also, had there been signs warning of the potential danger maybe both incidents could have been avoided.

Risk assessment. What udder bollocks.

would a "responsible" farmer maybe put cattle that have calves in a field that the public have no access to?

Some might well find those bold highlights quite patronising you know.

So why did you bother mentioning it then? Those that may find them helpful feel like right idiots now. talk about partonising?

Jebus, some people.

I doubt anyone who might find them useful is able to read. So they'll remain blissfully unpatronised.

Archived