[BBC News] Woman's cow attack 'terrifying'

Newsbot

What happened to respecting the country code?

* Avoid picking any wild flowers

explore the area at your own risk.

CHRIST! flowers are now wild?

I blame genetic engineering.

I'm sure last time I saw on on the hill side it was only a tad miffed.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Risk assessment. What udder bollocks.

The only risk assessment he might make is whether or not they can escape from the field. If he is satisfied they can't then that is that. The bloody walkers might want to take a risk assessment before they go through a field quite clearly containing cows.

There isn't a legal system in civilised world which would penalise a farmer for legitimately putting agricultural animals in agricultural land. Where the hell is he supposed to put them? Jesus!

would a "responsible" farmer maybe put cattle that have calves in a field that the public have no access to?

why not it aint harming the cattle, its there land, and maybe its there only grazeing land, so what then

would a "responsible" farmer maybe put cattle that have calves in a field that the public have no access to?

I don't see why they should have to.

If the public wish to exercise their right to walk along a right of way then that's one thing. They should not expect farmers to fit their job in around them. Farmers only have a certain number of fields they have access to according to crops/seasons/rotation (not just on the 13th century)/ and so on. It's not as easy as just moving them elsewhere in a lot of cases.

It's selfish to expect that. The people who are privileged to walk those rights of way should consider an alternative path or turning back if they are concerned about this sort of thing.

Read what's been quoted about the highway code by someone else if in doubt - it covers dogs and calving cattle.

Cynicism aside, I still think that the owness ought to be on people using footpaths to be aware of potential hazards and to choose another route etc if something you're not sure about comes up. Animals are unpredictable by their nature, and generally quite vicious where their young are factored in.

I agree that perhaps questions should be asked if there have other attacks from the same beasts, or if some common sense has not been followed in moving them if that's possible. For instance you might expect that after one attack if the farmer has the alternative space that he might move them away from a footpath even if it's just for the sake of his own stock, but still...

If you start having to put up signs to say whether Cow A & Cow B are in a bad mood etc then what's next? Everyone has managed well enough without ever having such things in the past. Does that mean that electric fences have to have signs up also to say if they are switched on or off? Maybe warning signs about cow pats being a potential slipping hazard like you get those yellow plastic signs on shop floors etc.

All sounds stupid yes, and it mainly is. I'm not having a go at the poor woman who's been trampled as it must have been an awful experience but it's famland after all so you can never rule out that sort of thing happening.

if their is an electric fence in the field that the public have access to the a sign is displayed informing them of the potential danger

Without being pedantic, all this talk of warning signs bollocks.

I have absolutely no knowledge of farming, but yet I am capable of understanding that a wild animal, weighing maybe a tonne or two, might be a tad dangerous.

"My sister, fortunately, was brought up with animals, so we know what to do and how to respect them.

well if u been brought up with animals u would know that u never take a dog in a field with mum and calves

And if you're a responsible farmer you should know that cattle with calves should not be put in a filed that has public access

What??????? Are you a member of PROWL, looking for an opportunity to expand subversive peeping-tom operations, by any chance?

You've underlined the T & R, WTF are you on about?

Well I know you're a stickler for spelling. Have you considered laser surgery?

yet I am capable of understanding that a wild animal, weighing maybe a tonne or two, might be a tad dangerous.

Is he keeping rhino as well?

You've underlined the T & R, WTF are you on about?

Well I know you're a stickler for spelling. Have you considered laser surgery?

yet I am capable of understanding that a wild animal, weighing maybe a tonne or two, might be a tad dangerous.

Is he keeping rhino as well?

Depends on the breed - a Holstein can weight over 750kg, which is more than a Rover Mini!

BUT

Was it a Manx cow?

OR

A comeover cow from the UK telling our cows what to do and how to live in the field?

OR

Was it an eastern european cow on a work permit taking work from Manx cows?

Archived