[BBC News] Woman's cow attack 'terrifying'

Newsbot

From IOMTODAY

`The cows had moved to another field by now and Mr Bazille found his wife 'sitting on a slant in the middle of a very muddy field, incapable to say anything else but ''Don't touch me'' between her teeth.'

What was she doing in the `middle' of the field, bejesus!!. To use a public right of way, surely you are supposed to walk around the edges next to the fence.... Ive lived on a farm for many years, and people that went on the public right of way always respected the farmers land by walking the edges.

She started off on the public footpath but once she was on the ground, the cows butted her to the middle. So just to clarify, that isn't where she started. I know the field they're referring to & the footpath doesn't run adjacent to the wall so there's no quick escape either!

I agree with more recent posts. It's time to put this one to bed. No amount of criticism or speculation of the events can change what has happened but perhaps the best thing that can come out of this is prevention & a reminder to everyone of the country code.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a farmer and I keep succler cows, as pointed out earlier aprox 20 years ago a farmer from Andreas was killed while checking his cattle, (cows with young and a bull) a tragic incident. A cows instinct is to protect its young at all costs, they can be dangerous especially with calves at foot and should be treated with respect/caution. I would definatly not walk a dog in a field with succler cows in.

I would definatly not walk a dog in a field with succler cows in.

And that is the point. I am very sorry for the lady, the dreadful injuries and experience she has suffered, but come on! I have often thought of taking the tram up Snaefell with the dog and walking him back down (note the use of gravity here) so spoke with a MER man at the ticket booth by the Strath asking him whether sheep are up there all year round. He said they were, so that is a no go. I just wouldn't risk taking a dog near livestock without a decent fence between us; it would be like taking a Harold Shipman look alike to an Age Concern meeting - it wouldn't end well!

The indignant response of the ignorant.. er... injured parties in their press comments is perhaps understandable, as they feel - quite literally - hurt and aggrieved.

However, this is not a society where the countryiside is another consumer commodity for sightseers. It is not Marks & Spencers where you can sue if you slip on spilt yoghurt in one of the aisles, or demand signage to suggest that there may be unexpected foodstuffs underfoot. Heaven forbid the sirloin steaks attack you in the meat section...

Welcome to reality, lady/husband. Get well soon...

Clearly this demands a well thought out, sensible and proportionate response from the Manx Government.

The towns and villages should be sealed off with high concrete walls and minefields. Domed of course to keep out flying threats.

Douglas will be renamed Mega City One.

All Biohazards ( Sheep, Cows, Chickens etc ) must observe the exclusion zone or be shot.

Farmers will be renamed Judges, given "Lawgiver" handguns ( DNA-coded to recognize their palm-print alone) and sent out to the country ( renamed The Cursed Earth ) to administer the law under the control of Chief Judge Phil Gawne.

• 1 month later...

I remembered reading about this a couple of months back, and in view of a case in Cumbria 6 years ago that has just been through the courts, thought I would bring this up :

Cumbrian woman crushed by cows awarded £250,000 compensation

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/cumbrian...ferrerPath=home

Mr & Mrs Cameron should sue this woman for the the stress she has caused to the family, absolutely no common sense!

Next time this happens on a farmers land the farmer may think twice about saving any idiots that get into trouble due to fear of getting sued.

Her legal team argued that the 40-strong herd, a number of which had calves, had the potential to be unpredictable. Yet they were being grazed on land which had a public footpath crossing it, with no signs to warn of possible danger.

what animals can be unpredictable well i never thats news to me, do thay employ newsbot for there work!!!!

Archived