Space Invaders Extreme

Slim

The style of Space Invaders Extreme reminds me of Pac Man CE, jazzed up enough to include some trippy visuals and music but not overdone so you can't see and here the original classic game. Visuals are superb in HD on a large screen, particularly as I'd only played it on the DS where it was very cramped. The whirly backgrounds seem to be nuon inspired, or even nuon itself, but quite low key and not something you notice most of the time.

The game itself is still 'shoot a block of enemies', but it adds a combo system where you can shoot a row, a column or a colour at a time to get power ups and activate bonus levels. The bonus sections whip you out of your current wave, into a bonus screen for a few seconds, then plonk you back where you were. Seems a bit bonkers but it does help to make the game feel more varied. Chuck in some boss fights, power ups and wave variations and you've got quite a lot to concentrate on.

Other goodies are the mandatory live leaderboards for all game modes and a bunch of multiplayer cooperative and versus modes including a great coop mode with individual objectives that me and my boy are having a blast with. It's 800 points too, which is a third of the PSP and DS versions price, so an absolute bargain.

The style of Space Invaders Extreme reminds me of Pac Man CE, jazzed up enough to include some trippy visuals and music but not overdone so you can't see and here the original classic game. Visuals are superb in HD on a large screen, particularly as I'd only played it on the DS where it was very cramped. The whirly backgrounds seem to be nuon inspired, or even nuon itself, but quite low key and not something you notice most of the time.

The game itself is still 'shoot a block of enemies', but it adds a combo system where you can shoot a row, a column or a colour at a time to get power ups and activate bonus levels. The bonus sections whip you out of your current wave, into a bonus screen for a few seconds, then plonk you back where you were. Seems a bit bonkers but it does help to make the game feel more varied. Chuck in some boss fights, power ups and wave variations and you've got quite a lot to concentrate on.

Other goodies are the mandatory live leaderboards for all game modes and a bunch of multiplayer cooperative and versus modes including a great coop mode with individual objectives that me and my boy are having a blast with. It's 800 points too, which is a third of the PSP and DS versions price, so an absolute bargain.

It seems nice enough but it didn't really click for me on the first couple of attempts.

I'll be having another crack at it soon to see if my opinion of it improves, and at less than £7 it's hardly big cash.

(Can't stop playing Plants Vs Zombies on Steam at the moment though :D)

It seems nice enough but it didn't really click for me on the first couple of attempts.

I'll be having another crack at it soon to see if my opinion of it improves, and at less than £7 it's hardly big cash.

The combo system is key, keeping in mind the combo's you need to do to 'juggle' powerups, chains and breaks. On the face of it, it's quite simple, but there's lots going on.

That good is it? Tempted, but not sure I can manage another tower defence.

That good is it? Tempted, but not sure I can manage another tower defence.

It's tower defence PopCap style, which means lovely and shiny and polished to the max, with bags of fantastic humour and brilliant sounds and music.

I've put 17 hours into it according to Steam, and I still have four survival mode stages to finish, and a couple of mini-games.

For £6.99, it's absolutely sale of the century.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I love this game! Does exactly what it says on the tin, but it adds good graphics, nice subtle integration with the music, and tons of charm.

Archived