Motor Taxes

Pat Ayres

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems obvious to me that any Government is not going to give up a money making scheme like vehicle excise duty / road tax / call it whatever you will, because it’s still just another form of taxation. End of.

I am amazed that COCKS with little mincy balls like TVoR et al cannot understand that this is just another form of taxation that the motorist is caned for (yes I have a car and a motorbike also so I get ripped like everyone else) but to suggest that other road users should pay a dubious taxation just because they don’t happen to like that particular type of road user (when a huge percentage of cyclists have taxable forms of transport) is bitter and twisted.

To presume for a moment that vehicle excise duty is a fair means of taxation (which I do not think it is btw), it is not equitable because two wheeled users do not have the physical presence on the roads that cars and LGV’s do and nor do they cause the same damage to the road surface. Perhaps we should tax pedestrians for walking on the pavement?

If you have a bitch about taxation under the guise of vehicle duty (etc) then take it to the Government and stop using it as an excuse to vent your spleen on your least favourite form of transport.

It seems obvious to me that any Government is not going to give up a money making scheme like vehicle excise duty / road tax / call it whatever you will, because it’s still just another form of taxation. End of.

I am amazed that COCKS with little mincy balls like TVoR et al cannot understand that this is just another form of taxation that the motorist is caned for (yes I have a car and a motorbike also so I get ripped like everyone else) but to suggest that other road users should pay a dubious taxation just because they don’t happen to like that particular type of road user (when a huge percentage of cyclists have taxable forms of transport) is bitter and twisted.

To presume for a moment that vehicle excise duty is a fair means of taxation (which I do not think it is btw), it is not equitable because two wheeled users do not have the physical presence on the roads that cars and LGV’s do and nor do they cause the same damage to the road surface. Perhaps we should tax pedestrians for walking on the pavement?

If you have a bitch about taxation under the guise of vehicle duty (etc) then take it to the Government and stop using it as an excuse to vent your spleen on your least favourite form of transport.

I'd like to state that I was being both ironic and sarcastic with my post....and btw I have sent numerous emails to the UK and Manx governments stating that vehicle exise duty should be scrapped and that the cost incurred should be placed on fuel in addition do as in Australia which is that every vehicle has third party insurance which is paid via a surcharge on fuel.

do as in Australia which is that every vehicle has third party insurance which is paid via a surcharge on fuel.

Are you sure?

http://www.livingin-australia.com/buying-a-car.html

I stand corrected and withdraw my previous statement....I am a fool for accepting the word of colleagues (who lived in Oz for a number of years) :blush:

Gullible tit are words that spring to mind as descriptives of my naivety

do as in Australia which is that every vehicle has third party insurance which is paid via a surcharge on fuel.

Are you sure?

http://www.livingin-australia.com/buying-a-car.html

Unless things have changed compulsory 3rd party insurance was included in the annual road tax in Australia. Better than the IOM and UK - but IMO a comprehensive fuel tax that covers everything is still the low admin and environmentally most friendly way to go - user pays....

If we could fix up a sensible aproach to drugs and a simple tax system for transport think how much police time would be saved to get on with proper policing...

A good point is being made here, I agree cyclist should not be charged road duty, but I do think any cyclist using the highway should have at least 3rd party insurance afterall if a cyclist causes an accident either by deliberately crossing a red light or going on a pavement and hitting a pedestrian or accidently does so by falling off and causing another vehicle to have an accident, then it would save them from being sue'd and having to pay up out of their own pockets not ignoring the fact that the innocent party who they injured or caused damage has to wait months if not years to get recompense from the uninsured.

afterall if a cyclist causes an accident either by deliberately crossing a red light or going on a pavement and hitting a pedestrian or accidently does so by falling off and causing another vehicle to have an accident, then it would save them from being sue'd and having to pay up out of their own pockets not ignoring the fact that the innocent party who they injured or caused damage has to wait months if not years to get recompense from the uninsured.

When was the last time you saw that scenario happen?

A good point is being made here, I agree cyclist should not be charged road duty, but I do think any cyclist using the highway should have at least 3rd party insurance afterall if a cyclist causes an accident either by deliberately crossing a red light or going on a pavement and hitting a pedestrian or accidently does so by falling off and causing another vehicle to have an accident, then it would save them from being sue'd and having to pay up out of their own pockets not ignoring the fact that the innocent party who they injured or caused damage has to wait months if not years to get recompense from the uninsured.

An interesting point, but what then of the pedestrian using the highway - should they also have liability insurance for when they cause an issue?

It is something that cyclists should consider though - if you are a member of British Cycling at either silver or gold membership level, then you get personal insurance thrown in as part of the package.

An interesting point, but what then of the pedestrian using the highway - should they also have liability insurance for when they cause an issue?

It is something that cyclists should consider though - if you are a member of British Cycling at either silver or gold membership level, then you get personal insurance thrown in as part of the package.

Yes, if you cycle on the roads a lot, you should think about insurance, cycle guard do some policies:

http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ - 3rd party insurance for about 30 quid a year.

I'm not sure mandatory insurance would work though, you'd have to have all sorts of exemptions for kids and whatnot and it'd barely be worth the effort to administer and enforce given how few bikes there are on the roads. The biggest reason though, again, is that it's in nobody's interests to discourage cyclists. Fewer cars on the road benefits everyone, even other drivers.

Yes, if you cycle on the roads a lot, you should think about insurance, cycle guard do some policies:

http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ - 3rd party insurance for about 30 quid a year.

I'm not sure mandatory insurance would work though, you'd have to have all sorts of exemptions for kids and whatnot and it'd barely be worth the effort to administer and enforce given how few bikes there are on the roads. The biggest reason though, again, is that it's in nobody's interests to discourage cyclists. Fewer cars on the road benefits everyone, even other drivers.

just to add, i too think they should have 3rd party insurance, perhaps some of them would WANT fully comp, there are some pushbikes out there that cost more than the cars they could RTC with!!. even without insurance though,if the cyclist is proven to be a fault wouldn't sueing them be an option?? on that note perhaps pushbikes should have 'licence plates' like cars for identification purposes?? not huge sails to add drag, but a 4 or 5 letter sequence of a similar size to those used on the 'small type' motor cycle plates as used on enduro's and trials bikes. even 3 letters gives you 15500+ registrations, 4 gives just over 390000 options, as it stands they all look much of a muchness in lycra and a skullcap with shades on, arse width generally helps you determine sex from the rear though ;)

I'm not sure mandatory insurance would work though, you'd have to have all sorts of exemptions for kids and whatnot

Why? Can't the parents pay?

And what are whatnots? Never seen one on a bicycle, as far as I am aware.

S

Whatnots are not notwhats :D

I ride horses on and off the road and due to the possibility of damage to my horse, myself and any other person or property I have insurance as a necessity.....but there are others who do not, I personally think that this is both inconsiderate and reckless....but if we insist on compulsory insurances for everyone we turn into a society that is thoughtless....imagine a society where insurance didn't exist, there would be far less accidents because people would be a damn sight more careful and considerate rather than thinking bollox to it doesn't matter if I crash the insurance will take care of everything.

Why? Can't the parents pay?

Do you seriously think that's a good idea? When we're facing an obesity epidemic, a generation of kids who are constrained by over protective parents, an over protective state and a weight of health and safety rules and regulation, the last thing anyone wants to do is further discourage something as simple, fun and healthy as cycling.

And for what? When was the last time you heard of a kid on a bike being liable for significant damages?

Have you ever ridden a bike Sebrof?

And for what? When was the last time you heard of a kid on a bike being liable for significant damages?

Remind me what's the age for criminal responsibility? 10? You see kids younge and older of that age (even adults). riding around on winter evenings in the dark without any lights on Accidents waiting to happen. Please give up this pretence that cyclists are responsible people (well maybe a minority of them I'll concede)

Archived