Hyperbaric Chamber Future In Jeopardy

manx minx

Maybe the Hyperbaric Chamber needs to write to all the island's GP's explaining what they do and listing some of the illnesses that they have sucessfully treated. Maybe then the GP's will be a bit more aware of it.

It would do the Hyperbaric Chamber better for the GP's to be asking the DHSS why they can't refer patients to it anymore rather than just the HC complaining......

Totally agree in a proactive approach, and I believe there are plans afoot to inform GP's of the benefits to the HC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if this closes, and a diver in trouble has to be transported away, what would be the additional costs as a result?

Given that the chamber seems to have a wide beneficial use outside of diving accidents, why don't the DHSS/Gov cull a pencil pusher or two if they're that short of money.

Or they might like to cut a few inches of the runway extension.

If the Island lost the chamber, where would people have to go for treatment?

I believe there is a chamber in Northern Ireland, and a private chamber in the Wirral. Apparently if a diver suspects they may be suffering from the bends they are supposed to be assessed at a hyperbaric chamber and if symptoms appear they are treated in the chamber. The divers symptoms can take a couple of hours before they present. So theoretically if a diver presented at Nobles, and we no longer had a HC , then the patient would have to be airlifted to NI or the Wirral immediately as once the symptoms of the bends appear they cannot fly - in theory they should not fly at all.....

The costs that would be incurred would be substantial. Also commercial diving if below 10 meters by law has to have a HC within 2 hours distance without using the emergency services. So any commercial diving on the Island - such as at the reservoir, lying cables etc would have to hire in from the UK a HC - again at substantial cost.

I spent some time last night looking online at transcripts from Tynwald. It seems that every couple of years someone tries to cut spending to the HC. The amount of time and energy lost on this subject is in my opinion another waste of money. We are an Island, we promote watersports, we need commercial divers and the spin off of having to have a HC is that patients can use the facility and save the DHSS money. So why on earth does someone keep bringing this subject up???

Todays Inde.... lots left out about the diving cover which we have to have. The hyperbaric chamber charity effectively offers the Islanders free use of the chamber for the conditions refered to on their website. Now have nearly 600 supporters on facebook support the Isle of Man hyperbaric chamber group.

Just looked at http://www.hboman.com/

There's nothing on there about the current funding problem

Why not.

I would have thought a website would be a good publicity tool.

Farcebook?

How many MHKs etc take notice of that unless the shit hits the fan like the recent cretin groups?

Todays Inde.... lots left out about the diving cover which we have to have.

I assume soneone in the know will be contacting the paper to correct this?

Just looked at http://www.hboman.com/

There's nothing on there about the current funding problem

Why not.

I would have thought a website would be a good publicity tool.

Farcebook?

How many MHKs etc take notice of that unless the shit hits the fan like the recent cretin groups?

Todays Inde.... lots left out about the diving cover which we have to have.

I assume soneone in the know will be contacting the paper to correct this?

Website - great idea - it is being looked into. A proactive strategic PR plan is under discussion at the moment - we need to get the truth out as to the huge benfits offered by this charity.

The medical director of the HC is being interviewed today and there will be more on this in next weeks papers. As is often the case there is not enough print space to cover the story fully. The editor has ultimate control as to what is included and what is omitted.

Website - great idea - it is being looked into. A proactive strategic PR plan is under discussion at the moment - we need to get the truth out as to the huge benfits offered by this charity.

You need to get moving.

Adding an initial block of text to a webpage will only take a couple of minutes. That's a start, you can develop afterwards.

Procative not reactive.

Re Indie I see Gawne is asking for a 'not much' 20k for a feasibility study on mountain bike trails.

Priorities?

Come on now - it's far better that the Govt is spending our taxes on hiring a yacht in the South of France for PR purposes rather than use the money on this silly yoke. Sure this yoke doesn't help the movie business at all and just isn't sexy enough to fund.

Come on now - it's far better that the Govt is spending our taxes on hiring a yacht in the South of France for PR purposes rather than use the money on this silly yoke. Sure this yoke doesn't help the movie business at all and just isn't sexy enough to fund.

Thats it Mutley - you got it! We need to hire it out as a sci fi film set - sure we missed out on the Startrek movie - dash!!

I have been fortunate enough not to require the use of the hyperbaric chamber, but it saves lives in the case of diving incidents. The Isle of Man has so much to offer this community locally and further afield. Tourism can benefit from divers from the British Isles and elsewhere and the ability to treat divers suffering decompression sickness strengthens the Isle of Man's reputation as a diving destination. The diving community are aware of the benefits and do all they can to raise money for this worthwhile cause less than 10% of users are divers. Medical benefits are obvious, although these do not seem to be taken into consideration by many medical practitioners, yet the majority are for medical reasons, I do not understand why this should fall part of the DHSS completely as a medical service and promote it rather than just as a charity which the DHSS contributes. The more it is used economies of scale fall into place.

From a diving point of view Discover Diving in Port St Mary are getting bookings fast for charters, bringing divers over to the Island which is good for tourism and as a bonus there's insurance in the form of the hyperbaric chamber which will recieve funding from personal insurances such as DAN if it is used. The DoT need it for their commercial divers, otherwise it will cost them £6k just to get a portable one over.

I am really struggling to come to terms with their lack of comprehension in supporting this worthwhile cause.

Looking at the government's spending I fully understand the issues raised with budgets, however it is where the budgets are spent that amazes me, how much does the Government waste? It is proposed in the latest budget that in 2009/2010 the government will spend £875.6m, of this £448.1m (51%) goes to the DHSS with £221.8m in benefits. I fully support benefits as the majority are for pensions £130.7m, income support, child benefit & family income supplement £50.5m, and £15.5m in disability/incapacity benefit.

The government are also happy to spend money to redevelop Local Government housing in Ballasalla costing £77k in design fees and £1.25m in redevelopment this year and in Castletown they’re looking to spend £5.2m to redevelop Janet’s Corner. The Dept of Tourism & Leisure are also going to spend £2.1m on new buses, what’s wrong with the existing ones? Here’s the thing, the Hyperbaric Chamber gets £90k not £90m and are looking for an extra £30k with a total of £130k or to put it in the same context as other spending it equates to £0.13m. Just over twice as much as a week's jolly for MHK's in Cannes!

What are the cost savings in reduced recuperation periods to the DHSS through quicker healing as a result of the high oxygen absorption that the hyperbaric chamber causes?

That's my 2 pennies worth, yes 2 pennies or £0.00000002m.

What are the cost savings in reduced recuperation periods to the DHSS through quicker healing as a result of the high oxygen absorption that the hyperbaric chamber causes?

This is always overlooked. The HC does a lot more than help divers with the bends - everything from burn victims to strokes. A recent study has also shown good success with children with autism too.

Archived