Hyperbaric Chamber Future In Jeopardy

manx minx

I just tried repeating 'Calling International Rescue...Calling International Rescue...Hyperbaric Chamber Future In Jeopardy' a few times on my old amateur radio gear I dug out of the garage this morning - but all I got back was some guy telling somone called Mustafa to pick up a Mr Dabrowski at Manchester airport.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFS 30 grand, Just read the article in the Examiner right next to the crap about the cannes canoe.

If the cretins with the purse can't sort the pennies for this then maybe they should be replaced by other cretins who can but then they wouldn't be cretins, they'd be sensible ( that's the replacement cretins, not the current cretins who could easily uncretinize themselves by coughing up anyway )

So there.

Rename it the TT, Cannes, Airport, MEA Prestige Chamber and tell the cretins it's no fucking use to anyone and will cost millions.

They'll trip over themselves to spend then.

PS I claim copyright on 'uncretinize'

When you first start diving, one of the first things you are told is that you must not fly for 24 hours after a dive. You get the bends by surfacing too quickly - the pressure that has been compressing the nitrogen in your body is released too fast, which causes bubbles to form, in a similar way to how bubbles form in sparkling drinks when the lid is opened too fast. These bubbles can be very painful and can cause fatal damage. The problem with flying is that pressure decreases fast as you take off and ascend. The pressurized cabins in modern planes are much better than they were, but anyone who has had trouble equalizing air-pressure in their ears will appreciate that there is a significant change in pressure. Airlifting someone with the bends is not ideal.

When you first start diving, one of the first things you are told is that you must not fly for 24 hours after a dive. You get the bends by surfacing too quickly - the pressure that has been compressing the nitrogen in your body is released too fast, which causes bubbles to form, in a similar way to how bubbles form in sparkling drinks when the lid is opened too fast. These bubbles can be very painful and can cause fatal damage. The problem with flying is that pressure decreases fast as you take off and ascend. The pressurized cabins in modern planes are much better than they were, but anyone who has had trouble equalizing air-pressure in their ears will appreciate that there is a significant change in pressure. Airlifting someone with the bends is not ideal.

No far from ideal.... it can result in death....... which is what happened to a diver in Orkney - Vincent Leslie who was airlifted to Aberdeen suffering from the bends. App the protocol is to fly at sea level, which is normally operated by a helicopter. The helicopter has to be a twin engine, and the transportation cost alone is about £4,000. Then there is the £16,000 treatment on top of that, plus the added risk, as you rightly point out, of transporting someone by air and the waste of invaluable time in getting treatment. Just ask the local diver Sean O' Connell - he got to the chamber within just 20 minutes, and was lucky to survive, he himself said if he had been made to fly elsewhere that the consequences would have been more serious probably resulting in permanent damage or death.

This really is a life or death situation and the health minister needs to look at a very important word in his job title ..... HEALTH and remember he is no longer a banker.

This really is a life or death situation and the health minister needs to look at a very important word in his job title ..... HEALTH and remember he is no longer a banker.

Only one reply comes to mind for the last statement!!!

• 2 months later...
On BBC 1 local news now.

Teare pleading poverty.

Repeating myself but how can these guys plead poverty? They have lashed money around recently but have a very strange set of priorities - starting with (pardon my cynicism) placing their own taxpayer funded benefits ahead of life saving measures etc etc...there is no sign that we are short of money, just that it is getting spent on over-priced 'big ticket' items as well as on themselves.

I have been fortunate enough not to require the use of the hyperbaric chamber, but it saves lives in the case of diving incidents. The Isle of Man has so much to offer this community locally and further afield. Tourism can benefit from divers from the British Isles and elsewhere and the ability to treat divers suffering decompression sickness strengthens the Isle of Man's reputation as a diving destination. The diving community are aware of the benefits and do all they can to raise money for this worthwhile cause less than 10% of users are divers. Medical benefits are obvious, although these do not seem to be taken into consideration by many medical practitioners, yet the majority are for medical reasons, I do not understand why this should fall part of the DHSS completely as a medical service and promote it rather than just as a charity which the DHSS contributes. The more it is used economies of scale fall into place.

From a diving point of view Discover Diving in Port St Mary are getting bookings fast for charters, bringing divers over to the Island which is good for tourism and as a bonus there's insurance in the form of the hyperbaric chamber which will recieve funding from personal insurances such as DAN if it is used. The DoT need it for their commercial divers, otherwise it will cost them £6k just to get a portable one over.

Not being a diver or anything like that, but I too thought that the Tourism option may save it.

Just think, for example, the Airport put in a budget for £3 million to retarmac SOME of the taxiways. When it turned out that it would not cost £3 million to do the work they had nominated they asked for Tynwald approval to spend it on retarmacing MORE taxiways.

If money was overflowing from the coffers this would be OK.

But when Ministers are standing up and saying that they have no money for potential life saving equipment how come the folk on the hill agree to spending all the money at the airport rather than saying "do what you originally asked for and we will use what will be saved to do other things that otherwise we couldn't do'?

PS: BTW according to Richard Butt the IOM newspapers have saved the chamber:

Why was the hyperbaric chamber saved (at least in the medium run)? Because our newspapers ran a campaign to save it. It ensured the support of hundreds of readers, including Trevor Hemmings, the millionaire. He rang me about it to say that it was our coverage that persuaded him to help.

Eddie Teare MHK, the health minister, succumbed to public opinion as well and kept finances going. He had originally questioned its worth, you might remember.

How about asking every employer on the Island to deduct £1.00 from ever workers gross pay (who agreed of course), and send the collection to the chamber? That would raise quite a bit. Any one of us could need this service at one time or another.

I would give up a pound no problem. (would mean less tax anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

£11,500 needed or the unit will close at the end of September or early October. Fundraiser tomorrow (31/08/09).

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Dig-deep-to...save.5594232.jp

Also - Oxygen treatment given to divers with decompression sickness may be able to help cancer patients suffering from the side effects of radiotherapy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8217896.stm

£11,500 needed or the unit will close at the end of September or early October. Fundraiser tomorrow (31/08/09).

It is good to be able to contribute something to this BUT this should never have to be under threat and only capable of continued operating if we throw money into buckets...what a bunch of selfish economic plonkers we have sitting in Tynwald. They probably think a "priority" is an afternoon cuppa with some monks.

Also how does all this this square with what Richard Butt wrote boasted about in August:

Why was the hyperbaric chamber saved (at least in the medium run)? Because our newspapers ran a campaign to save it. It ensured the support of hundreds of readers, including Trevor Hemmings, the millionaire. He rang me about it to say that it was our coverage that persuaded him to help.

Does not compute.

Archived